• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What have been the reasons?

Bielzibubz

President
I haven't done this as a poll as I dare say we all, in our humble opinions, have a multitude of reasons and possibly to many to put as options in a poll.

In no particular order mine are.

1. The inclusion of McCormack in midfield. A no nonsense box to box battler that's given us that extra ummph going forward.

2. JCR finally realising that he doesn't have to beat his man three times to produce the goods.

3. The players taking on board Tilly's instructions to have a pop from outside the box.

4. The back four, whoever it may be, producing that 'get stuck in' attitude we saw against Man U on a regular basis.

5. And lastly. Right from the off, the players not giving the opposition any time on the ball and not allowing them to get into their stride. Something other teams were doing to us to great effect during our barren spell.

I'm sure there are a few other reasons if you care to analyze our games over the past five or six weeks and I know a lot can be put down to confidence but what for you has given us that all important kick start we were so lacking earlier on in the season?

Over to you lot........
smile.gif

improvements at CB- Sodje coming back in the first instance, and then both Clarke and AB getting opportunites to come into the team under a bit less pressure (e.g. Clarke at Spurs)- gave them both the chance to find some form.

And the fact that we haven't been conceeding a goal within a few minutes of kick off, and then dropping our heads. I really do believe our cup runs, plus the inability of those other teams around us to open up an even bigger gap, has done the confidence the world of good...

Bradbury being fit
Clarke playing in correct position
Aquistion of McCormack
Midfield having shots

1. McCormack making us competitive in midfield.
2. Confidence returning.

Given that it was introduced at Norwich which started our fine run of form maybe the new pre-game training methods have made a big difference too - the shooting practice one in particular I would think helps to get players "eye's in" despite looking a little stupid  
tounge.gif

Also McCormack's been an outstanding signing, in our predicament it's a must to have a real battler in midfield - some sides really don't fancy the fight and our strong midfield was a major reason we were champions last season. Also Clarke and JCR have finally started to perform extremely well since xmas and that's been huge for us, as well as having Bradders back who is far FAR better at holding the ball up and being a partner to Freddy than Harrold/Paynter ever were.

All of the above.

The fact that with most of the factors mentioned we started to churn out some draws, and a win against Man Utd led to the confidence and self belief.

We will see how far we have come Saturday!

the end of all the negativity that was beginning to get really destructive -

the end of a bizarre run of bad luck and circumstance -

the eternal beauty of the historic Roots Hall that has bred the
most fabulous team and supporters to grace the football leagues -

having a team with some good solid Essex boys in it - and a
manager from Wickford -

the Shrimper passion - how good does it feel -

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rayleigh boy @ Jan. 17 2007,12:12)]the end of all the negativity that was beginning to get really destructive -

the end of a bizarre run of bad luck and circumstance -

the eternal beauty of the historic Roots Hall that has bred the
most fabulous team and supporters to grace the football leagues -

having a team with some good solid Essex boys in it - and a
manager from Wickford -

the Shrimper passion  - how good does it feel -
Someone's still on a high from last night
tounge.gif

1. Sort the defence out so that we can at least compete in games. Achieved by bringing in experience (Prior/Sodje) to allow Clarke to settle in.

2. Changing player mentalities on the edge of the box. You can see it clicking now for them when they get more than a second outside the box. Shape to shoot and let it go.

I honestly think we were doing most of the rest of it before. McCormack has been a very welcome additionbut only because we never had sufficient cover for Guttridge.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Jan. 17 2007,11:56)]Given that it was introduced at Norwich which started our fine run of form maybe the new pre-game training methods have made a big difference too - the shooting practice one in particular I would think helps to get players "eye's in" despite looking a little stupid  
tounge.gif
I have implemented this shooting practice into the SZFC warm up of a sunday morning and must say previous 2 weeks we have got the rewards.

The occasional shot flys over the fence or onto the next pitch but at least when a player has his first shot during the game he's not cold as they say.

My star striker who couldnt shoot for toffee before xmas has netted 6 goals in 2 games.

3-0 & 11-2 wins show perhaps there is some proof in the pudding.

we have nothing to lose (the situation that we were in a couple of weeks ago made us "go for it" every game and now we are in touch with the others)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Jan. 17 2007,12:38)]1.  Sort the defence out so that we can at least compete in games.  Achieved by bringing in experience (Prior/Sodje) to allow Clarke to settle in.

Spot on - along with the earlier observation that other people are scoring goals at long last.

Eastwood only has 7 league goals, which people sometimes forget. Could this be the reason why the transfer window has remained firmly shut ?

Back