• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What have you watched on TV?

I have just given the new BT Sport documentary 'Super Villans' a view - a real treat

Charting over nearly two hours Villa's Div One champions campaign in 80/81 and then their 81/82 European Cup success, it is well put together and has a great backdrop of early 80's music

If you get the chance give it a view - I'm sure @StanCollymore would love it

I had the luck to just get in to Highbury when Villa celebrated the championship despite losing - seeing 20,000 fans go loopy during a game as news of Middlesboro scoring up at Ipswich came thro was just fantastic. That game was the day after our 80/81 promotion party v Rochdale, so quite a weekend. Indeed, I cover it all in RTT92, so as a little treat here is that part of the good book:

"HIGHBURY, Arsenal 2 Aston Villa 0, Division One, Saturday 2 May 1981

Enthused by sealing promotion at Torquay I just had to be at Roots Hall for the promotion party the following Friday evening against Rochdale, so on the day I set off at first light to hitch home.

Back then hitching was common place and I never usually had any problems. Often there would be a few fellow hitchers standing by the roadside – if any were female then it was a hopeless task competing so you just stood back until they got a lift and then tried to look more normal than the other blokes left behind with you.

Anyway, on the Friday all went fine until I got to Heston Services on the M4 just outside London. Standing by the garage slipway I flipped my sign over from ‘London’ to ‘Chelmsford’ and waited – I was not kicking my heels for long. A van stopped and the middle-aged driver said he was going to East London - pleased that this would take me through most of the capital I hopped in. All hair and glasses, he seemed to be a little quirky but the conversation flowed and we were soon travelling along the Embankment. It was then it started. “****er” he shouted into a mic (wired up to an outside speaker) at this bloke on a zebra crossing in front. The poor pedestrian looked around startled wondering whether this term of endearment was meant for him, and to make his day as he just stood there trying to figure things out he upset an impatient motorist on the opposite carriageway who wanted him to move.

Hair Bear cracked up and looked round to me to see how impressed I had been - I admit to having had a little chuckle. Suitably encouraged, Hair Bear proceeded to greet other pedestrians and cyclists for the next hour as we made our way towards Romford – I became embarrassed by it all and slunk lower and lower in my seat hoping to stay out of external view, but he was like a dog with a new toy and just kept going. It got a little scary at one stage in the stop-start traffic of Stratford High Street as one youth took exception to being called “Tosser” and started to bang on the side of the van when the traffic lights were on red. Eventually, and after making sure that there was no Benny Hill line of irate Londoners chasing us, I made my excuses and got out earlier than scheduled. I wonder what age Hair Bear lived to.

I still made it to Hatfield Peverel in good time, met up with Dad and off we went to the party. It was OK, but I’d been at the real deal the previous week and it all seemed a bit like arriving at a student bash when the only drink left was the home brew. In need of some further footie stimulation I decided to go to Highbury the following day.

It was too short notice to go with anyone else so for the first time I travelled on my tod to a game. Not that I was alone – over 57,000 squeezed in to Highbury that day. Again, pay on the day and I get lucky – shortly after I squeezed in to the North Bank the ‘ground full’ signs went up. It was a huge match – if Villa won they would be league champions for the first time in 70 years, if they lost then it all depended on how Ipswich got on at Middlesbrough.

Arsenal too needed to win to secure a place in next season’s UEFA Cup (you know, that cup which clubs make a huge effort to qualify for and then field a team of reserves in the first round and go out to a bunch of fishermen from the Faroes).

I stood at a top corner of the North Bank but it was like being on a tidal wave, and going with the flow was safer than resisting. Somehow by the end of the match I was in the middle. Anyone below average height would not have seen a thing bar jackets and armpits, but the crowd volume level permeated all. For some reason Pele appeared for a lap of honour before kick-off and received a rapturous greeting from all four sides – for the next hour though it was mostly the Gunners fans who made the noise as Terry O’Neill’s men dominated. Ipswich were also one-up at Ayresome Park. Villa, and their fans, slumped in to a nervous state of inertia.

Then, with nothing of note happening on the pitch, some 20,000 Villans at the Clock End went mental as news filtered through that Bozo Jankovic had equalised for Boro. Not long after the Serb scored a second and the Clock End boogied again. Villa seemed content thereafter to rely on Boro and their luck held out to spark even more amazing scenes at the end with both sets of fans happy. For Villa their long wait for another title made their joy very special. I felt lucky to be there."

Without a doubt. That was dull as fk.
I loved Boba! Liked all the stuff about the power vacuum on Tatooine after Jabba the Hutt, the spice smuggling trade and what happened to Boba after he got out of the Sarlacc. I like seeing gaps filled in, and it all made sense to me. The deep fake technology is getting better and better too.

Its superb- love the new bad guy and the horror has been ramped up.

Thought the first episode was a bit dull (until the end)....and what with having people in their 30s playing teenagers? That D&D bloke looks like he's nearing retirement.

Thought the first episode was a bit dull (until the end)....and what with having people in their 30s playing teenagers? That D&D bloke looks like he's nearing retirement.
Believe it or not the actor for the D&D bloke is only 29, I think it's mainly the hair and his unkept appearance that makes him look about 50.

I think the reason they hired older people to play the older high schoolers is to keep age appearances in line with the main cast. The DnD guy mentioned he'd been held back a couple of years so he's probably meant to be a bit older than Jonathan and Steve, and their actors are 28 and 30 respectively at this point. Meanwhile the younger kids might be 14 in the show but they're all over 18 (except Will who is 17) in real life, so they probably used older faces to try and make the main kids look younger.

Saw Sting's 2021 concert at the Pantheon last night on Arte.I'm aware that he's not everyone's cup of tea these days but it was still a good acoustic concert ,finishing with an excellent version of Otis Redding's Dock of the Bay.

Anyone seen Love, Death & Robots on Netflix. Short "adult" animations of SF, horror etc. Stunning animations on the whole (Jibaro is just a work of art). Some of them miss the mark, some seem like an Incel w*nk fantasy, but on the whole, definitely worth a view and some (like the previously mention Jibaro) are stunning.

Back