• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
I've just been reading through Phil Brown's interviews and I am impressed with how he conducts himself.

PB seems to be a very strong minded and positive person. Throughout his first 6 games in charge he has accepted that he is learning about the team. He hasn't professed to knowing everything and seems to have accepted his fate that he is now a League 2 manager. Whilst talking in post match interviews about new systems that he has tried e.g. "I thought the formation we used, with the three men in midfield, worked well and I was also very pleased to get the first clean sheet since coming here," he has also spoken out and accepted his mistakes e.g. "“I brought on Gavin Tomlin because I thought he was a similar type of player to Freddy but it didn't work and I will take the criticism for that.” I have to say for a guy that acknowledged that having played 5 games without a win I thought that was very manly of him to do so.

One thing about Steve Tilson's reign that impressed me was the togetherness of the squad. I know that Tilly was a big fan of team bonding and setup a lot of activities. Seeing the bond develop between Freddy and PB is fantastic for the club. This season Freddy has looked lost and not been used and now we are once again talking about the potential positive impact that Freddy could have on the team next season. It is clear that PB has put an arm around Freddy. PB has also singled out the defence and in particular Dan Bentley in the last few games. He also waxed lyrical about Tamika Mkandawire's loan spell and has left the door open there for a return. This open approach gets a :thumbsup: from me. I don't think there is a lot to tell between individual's abilities at this level and actually getting that extra 5 or 10% from mental attributes can go a long way to achieving success. I am a big fan of sports psychology and I think PB has spoken well about his players so far. You include in that also the fact that he has given Bilel Mohsni a chance to prove his worth. Okay, it hasn't worked, as many were afraid of but I think he has handled it professionally and there is not a big circus act surrounding Bilel's apparent exit this time round like there has been before.

I don't expect to see many changes over the Summer because I think PB will try to extract the best out of what he has with different formations and different attitudes. I've been most impressed with how PB has conducted himself and even with the Wembley scenario regarding PS I think both gentlemen handled themselves superbly.

Good Luck PB and keep up the good work!

Please feel free to add your own reasons for liking Phil Brown!

Last edited:
I've just been reading through Phil Brown's interviews and I am impressed with how he conducts himself.

PB seems to be a very strong minded and positive person. Throughout his first 6 games in charge he has accepted that he is learning about the team. He hasn't professed to knowing everything and seems to have accepted his fate that he is now a League 2 manager. Whilst talking in post match interviews about new systems that he has tried e.g. "I thought the formation we used, with the three men in midfield, worked well and I was also very pleased to get the first clean sheet since coming here," he has also spoken out and accepted his mistakes e.g. "“I brought on Gavin Tomlin because I thought he was a similar type of player to Freddy but it didn't work and I will take the criticism for that.” I have to say for a guy that acknowledged that having played 5 games without a win I thought that was very manly of him to do so.

One thing about Steve Tilson's reign that impressed me was the togetherness of the squad. I know that Tilly was a big fan of team bonding and setup a lot of activities. Seeing the bond develop between Freddy and PB is fantastic for the club. This season Freddy has looked lost and not been used and now we are once again talking about the potential positive impact that Freddy could have on the team next season. It is clear that PB has put an arm around Freddy. PB has also singled out the defence and in particular Dan Bentley in the last few games. He also waxed lyrical about Tamika Mkandawire's loan spell and has left the door open there for a return. This open approach gets a :thumbsup: from me. I don't think there is a lot to tell between individual's abilities at this level and actually getting that extra 5 or 10% from mental attributes can go a long way to achieving success. I am a big fan of sports psychology and I think PB has spoken well about his players so far. You include in that also the fact that he has given Bilel Mohsni a chance to prove his worth. Okay, it hasn't worked, as many were afraid of but I think he has handled it professionally and there is not a big circus act surrounding Bilel's apparent exit this time round like there has been before.

I don't expect to see many changes over the Summer because I think PB will try to extract the best out of what he has with different formations and different attitudes. I've been most impressed with how PB has conducted himself and even with the Wembley scenario regarding PS I think both gentlemen handled themselves superbly.

With 14 players out of contract, there will be lots of changes unless we can tie most of those to new deals.

Given the right budget and enough time out of Embargo (yeah right) I am sure he will want to put his own team in place. So I am expecting another summer, with a large turnover of players.

Must say that I was not very impressed at the beginning.....probably heavily coloured by the timing of Paul's removal. Then I found it difficult to warm to a man who didn't seem to be the right character for our club (whatever that might be or mean, but so often these feelings are subjective and irrational).
However when I saw his interview pre Aldershite game, I was impressed by his approach to the players here and what he wants to achieve next season. I really do think he can do it! :thumbsup:

Good post, and I agree. Hope he can really work some magic. Hopefully better times ahead, we deserve it.

With 14 players out of contract, there will be lots of changes unless we can tie most of those to new deals.

Given the right budget and enough time out of Embargo (yeah right) I am sure he will want to put his own team in place. So I am expecting another summer, with a large turnover of players.

Out of those 14 players, I doubt many will be missed. I think we will need to look at the midfield again and if Mkandawire signs then that would be amazing, although I reckon we have more chance of starting work on Fossetts Farm this summer, striking oil and completing the stadium in 3 years than that happening!

Dan Bentley 2013 - KEEP and could be a good player for the future
Sean Clohessy 2013 - KEEP but wouldn't be surprised if he went to a league 1 club
Chris Barker 2013 - RELEASE
Luke Prosser 2013 - KEEP as he keeps improving year on year
Graham Coughlan 2013 - RETIRE? Keep as assistant
Michael Timlin 2013 - KEEP as he seems like an important part of our midfield, but Brown has possibly never seen him play
Alex Woodyard 2013 - KEEP on a 1 year contract with an option for another year and loan out as he has potential
Ryan Leonard 2013 - KEEP seems our run of winning games happened when he played, coincidence?
John Spicer 2013 - RELEASE
Micky Spillane 2013 - RELEASE
Elliot Benyon 2013 - RELEASE
Barry Corr 2013 - KEEP after many doubted he would ever play again he has done extremely well this season
Gavin Tomlin 2013 - KEEP our spark up front and missed it so much during his injury, but might be off too.
Bilel Mohsni 2013 - KEEP ..... jokes, let him continue his trip around the various grounds on trial
Seedy Njie 2013 - KEEP same as Woodyard as he has potential

Is there a tiny chance that some will now actually give our manager a chance?

Good luck PB and C'Mon You Shrimpers!

I've been impressed so far, but he will be judged on what happens in the summer.

Who can he bring in?

Can he keep our important players, SC for example.

Big couple of months ahead.

I've been impressed so far, but he will be judged on what happens in the summer.

Who can he bring in?

Can he keep our important players, SC for example.

Big couple of months ahead.

That's slightly wrong in that surely he should be judged on how the players he brings in perform within his formation that he sets up for us next season. Plenty of good teams on paper that don't do it on the pitch and likewise plenty of average teams on paper that perform above and beyond on the pitch.

The art to management is getting the best out of what you have and creating a winning team with it. In the Premier League I look at Everton and think that is a fantastic example over the years of Moyes dragging the best out of some 'average' players. Many of those 'average' players are now considered better than that.

It's frustrating looking at the winning runs we have had during the course of a season over the last few years and seeing that we have not been able to maintain that. That to me shows that we are capable and we have the foundations but we just need to sustain them. Plenty of those players may well be out of contract but I would expect us to re-sign a lot of them. What Paul Sturrock did with a brand new group of players was most commendable. I don't expect PB to go through the same exercise. We have got the results over the last two seasons to show that we can compete with the league's best sides. Now we need to find a consistency, make Roots Hall a fortress, and beat those lower league teams.

PB strikes me as the type of guy that will come in and be a disciplinarian but if you are on the right side of him then he will treat you with respect and look after you. I think his man management skills will be important in League 2. I believe he has conducted himself well in the face of a lot of unnecessary (IMO) flack upon taking the job at Roots Hall.

What I like is that he's not Paul "pick my favourites despite how ***** they are" Sturrock.

As with all the negative comments at the time he was appointed I shall also not jump on the positives after one victor. Will back him all the way but still too soon for a judgment from me. He does seem quite grounded though and the spirit seems to be good

I've said it before when this was raised but I certainly have time for Phil Brown. I do believe he's a good manager, and although his record shows success and failure, I believe he'll do a good job here. As has been mentioned, he seems to be man managing Eastwood well and has started to look towards the future with giving Bentley some game time (whether forced or not) and giving Pinnock his debut.

We all know the reasons why people are disappointed with his appointment, and many of the are valid, but assessing the situation overall I can see PB doing well here, and if he can get Roots Hall to become a fortress again then that will be one huge step forwards.

I've said it before when this was raised but I certainly have time for Phil Brown. I do believe he's a good manager, and although his record shows success and failure, I believe he'll do a good job here. As has been mentioned, he seems to be man managing Eastwood well and has started to look towards the future with giving Bentley some game time (whether forced or not) and giving Pinnock his debut.

We all know the reasons why people are disappointed with his appointment, and many of the are valid, but assessing the situation overall I can see PB doing well here, and if he can get Roots Hall to become a fortress again then that will be one huge step forwards.

F*ck the negativity - it will not take this club forward!

Reign supreme King Brown!

What I like is that he's not Paul "pick my favourites despite how ***** they are because there's very little else available to me and efforts to sign reinforcements are being blocked by the precarious financial situation the club finds itself in" Sturrock.

That's more like it...

Anyhow, it would appear that Brown's settled on a formation and way to play for at least the rest of this season. I've always thought we've played our best football when we've had three along the middle and three forward, rather than forwards, players. Hurst usually occupied the free role Eastwood's now seemingly making his own, but Brown's been fortunate in having him and other components, most notably Corr and Laird, fit and at his disposal. It may alienate Hurst slightly, but it's working at the moment.

Patently obvious, but Brown's biggest test will be this summer, as it's highly unlikely to be one that'll pass us by without a hitch.

Time will tell, I like his healthy glow and the dapper suits looks like a proper manager ( I am casting no aspersions on any previous manager)

I am starting to be won round to El Tango a bit. Of course a win helps but I like the way he seems to be getting more out of Freddy, and the fact he's started to use Leonard. I still think he's a bit of an ego maniac, but that doesn't mean he's a bad manager. Who he keeps and who he releases in the summer will be a big factor for me, along with who he brings in of course.

Back