• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

thenobster

Chief Punk
Can we afford it?

The back bone of a new squad would be required on higher wages that we may not be able to afford.

Would the crowd increase significantly thus bringing in the revenue?

Could we afford to wait an extra year whilst the new ground gets built?

Now I admit my finger isnt on the pulse as all the rest of the zoners, so I'm not playing devils advocate, just concerned that we will crash and burn and be back to square one, especially with the recent events of Portsmouth and Rangers.

all very good questions indeed, im led to believe that Ron is a major creditor for the club so administration never been a problem as we would probably been down that road a while ago, i would say an icrease in crowds is a must and hopefully a promotion would help address this. IF the stadium gets started real soon that could create a buzz around the club but who knows.

Crowds would certainly increase, as more away followers for a start. Could have the likes of Forest, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Preston and Coventry in League one next season. Throw in our friends from Colchester and Leyton and we should have some real bumper crowds.

Playing wise, we would need a lot more quality particularly in the attacking areas.

Can we afford it?

The back bone of a new squad would be required on higher wages that we may not be able to afford.

Would the crowd increase significantly thus bringing in the revenue?

I Could we afford to wait an extra year whilst the new ground gets built?

Now I admit my finger isnt on the pulse as all the rest of the zoners, so I'm not playing devils advocate, just concerned that we will crash and burn and be back to square one, especially with the recent events of Portsmouth and Rangers.
I really dont think you are giving our squad enough credit
The question is can afford NOT to go up

If we went up, I don't think it would be a very busy summer. I would say 3 or 4 in and 3 or 4 out, nothing more than that. Plenty of the current squad would hold their own in League One. Depending on where we are, it could be the January again that is busy either to try and stay up in league one or push onwards.

If we went up then Sheff Utd, Bury (yep, need to go there, can't stand that Benji thing) and Rochdale need to stay in League one and we drag Rotherham up with us. Then that would be four more off the rapidly reducing list.

Ipshite getting relegated would be a nice bonus too :smile: but sadly the prospects of that joy are not looking as rosy as they were a month ago :'(

I'd say 6/7 out of our normal 11 are good enough for league 1 BUT, only if they play the ball on the deck, otherwise it's game over, if they do we'll be ok.

You only have to look at Stevenage's performance this year along with our win over Preston and draw against Oldham to see that there isn't much difference between the two leagues, save for the top 7 or 8.

A bit hypothetical talking about how we'll fare in League 1. Lets get there first.

Big IF at moment if we get there but the increased income from TV and higher gates is not only nice, but necessary.

Big IF at moment if we get there but the increased income from TV and higher gates is not only nice, but necessary.

Another big IF is would we necessarily get more bums on seats/tv appearances - local derbies aside.

Another big IF is would we necessarily get more bums on seats/tv appearances - local derbies aside.

Yes we would.

Even if our home crowds didnt increase (which they would) the away end would be busier. There are some big clubs in League One.

Yes we would.

Even if our home crowds didnt increase (which they would) the away end would be busier. There are some big clubs in League One.

That's true, but they won't be there for long. Don't forget clubs like Notts Forest have a god-given right to be in the Premiership.

That's true, but they won't be there for long. Don't forget clubs like Notts Forest have a god-given right to be in the Premiership.

There will always be some other too big for their boots club financially crippling themselves in an attempt to get to the Premiership and ending up in League One to replace them :)

Yes we would get some bigger away crowds for sure , but as for 'home' support , I'm not convinced.
I think we have only averaged what we have this year because we have been top 3 for most of the season.
I'm not sure the fair weather fans would come to watch us if we are fighting relegation.
All that said , promotion must be better than staying where we are , for the long term progression of the club.
I just people don't expect too much too soon.
The first season , just stay in Div 1 , and then try to build from there.
Going to be tough getting out of this league though , but think we have a chance.

I am sure the home average will improve, as the fair weather fan is much more likely to come and watch us play Notts Forest/ Sheffield Wednesday/Coventry etc. than they would playing Morecombe or Accrington, just because of the name of the opposition.

Wouldn't matter where we are in the table as those sorts of fans that come once or twice a season probably don't even know.

Any idea of how many crumbs trickle down from the Premier$hite big table to L1 and L2 clubs

I seem to recall Ron saying the dfference between the Championship and L1 was £1m a season but that was probably all lies and spin :smile:

Yes we would.

100% agree. And also as I have said on here a gajillion times, football is a sport full of fickle fans....When we're in the Championship, sell out every week.....League 2, half that.

No different at any club across the country. Do you think Man Utd would still get 80K if they were struggling in League Two?

I'd say 6/7 out of our normal 11 are good enough for league 1 BUT, only if they play the ball on the deck, otherwise it's game over, if they do we'll be ok.

I'm not sure if I can agree with this. I'd say perhaps the opposite. They've never played the ball "on the deck" so to speak so what makes you think that would be successful? There must be a stronger argument for saying 6/7 out of our normal 11 are good enough for league 1, BUT, only if they continue to lump the ball up the field to the Target man, if they start trying to play it on the deck it's game over. After all the whole route one/long ball/direct football/hoofball call it what you will has got us to the top of the league.

100% agree. And also as I have said on here a gajillion times, football is a sport full of fickle fans....When we're in the Championship, sell out every week.....League 2, half that.

No different at any club across the country. Do you think Man Utd would still get 80K if they were struggling in League Two?[/QUOTE]

Good point - You often hear what great loyal fans Newcastle have ----errr. no? where were they when they were almost falling off the bottom of Division 2 under Ossie Ardiles.

Back