• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
question: what if STURROCK at seasons end decides to leave, would it be conceivable for Southend to hire a Player Manager , being that player is a high profile player as Davids is at Barnet.Such player would not only attract a better class of footballer to SUFC but also some much needed exposure to our club , much in the same way as GOATER did.Someone like DEL PIERO who is still playing very good football here in Australia for Sydney fc.Also Harry Kewell is in England and not affiliated with any club i believe, ,could nt he be persuaded to play until the end of the season on a short term contract with a Wembley appearnance as bait.He is a left sided player which SUFC need and class and fit. Maybe its just wishful thinking , but you never know if you dont try.:sad:

Id want a manager watching the game and not concentrating on marking someone or thinking about his own game.

Was talking about this last night. The amount of clubs Davids has played for, and players he has played with, he must have some great manager/coach contacts around Europe, it is a real coup for them, plus at 40 years old, he can obviously still put in a good 90.
How or why he is at Barnet, i don't know, but fair play to him and them... not sure the second goal was actually his mind?!

He's only at Barnet because it's his local club. He moved to the area when he joint spurs and moved back after he retired. Used to watch Barnet quite a bit after he left Palace.

He's only at Barnet because it's his local club. He moved to the area when he joint spurs and moved back after he retired. Used to watch Barnet quite a bit after he left Palace.

There's a statement Id never have thought Id hear about Edgar Davids :smile:

I respect Davids for being prepared to start at the bottom of the ladder and get his hands dirty, I think a lot of big-name players who go into management walk into top jobs just because of their name rather than any proven managerial ability. Generally, though, I don't think having a player-manager is the best thing. I'd much rather have a proven experienced manager at this level in Sturrock, who isn't exactly short of contacts himself, than Harry Kewell or Alessandro Del Piero. And come on, do you really think either of them would come to Southend? Get real.

I respect Davids for being prepared to start at the bottom of the ladder and get his hands dirty, I think a lot of big-name players who go into management walk into top jobs just because of their name rather than any proven managerial ability. Generally, though, I don't think having a player-manager is the best thing. I'd much rather have a proven experienced manager at this level in Sturrock, who isn't exactly short of contacts himself, than Harry Kewell or Alessandro Del Piero. And come on, do you really think either of them would come to Southend? Get real.

Ronnie Whelan did it.

A rookie manager in instead of Sturrock, and survival in League Two will have to be the aim. We'll look back on this and previous seasons with great fondness.

Yep indeed. 9th in League Two aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh bliss.

9th on 27th Feb? Yeah same position that Crewe were last season and we all know what happened then.

Maybe we should judge this season, at the end of the season?

9th on 27th Feb? Yeah same position that Crewe were last season and we all know what happened then.

Maybe we should judge this season, at the end of the season?

With Crewe on an excellent run of form that saw them unbeaten fron now until this season. Evidence that our form is about to return a similar run of points to that of Crewe is thin to say the least.

I would say we are more likely to fall backwards to 11th or 12th than finish in the top 7.

With Crewe on an excellent run of form that saw them unbeaten fron now until this season. Evidence that our form is about to return a similar run of points to that of Crewe is thin to say the least.

I would say we are more likely to fall backwards to 11th or 12th than finish in the top 7.

In a couple of weeks we could have Tomlin, Laird and Phillips back which is pretty much the team we had during our unbeaten run earlier in the season. Also, Mohsni will be back for the weekend game and we know that he will make a difference, whether it is getting sent off or popping up and scoring the winner is about as easy to predict as the weather in the year 2106.

If we can get a couple of decent results against Rotherham and Port Vale, then I reckon we can kick on and push for the play-offs.

All I'm saying is that Sturrock isn't a bad manager and simply classing his period here as a "failure" is being short sighted IMO.

So you would rather have promotion than go to Wembley then? Hmm...

http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showthread.php?75598-Wembley-Just-a-day-out

The point I am making and have made on another thread is that teh target at season's commencement was automatic promotion. Sturrock, in interview, has admitted we have to win every game between now and the end of the season to achieve that target. He has failed to meet that target, and it is looking increasingly unlikely we will make the top 7 too. So we have to face another season in League Two next year thanks to his failings - sob stories about injuries don't wash. And I have pointed out the record after 34 games this season is only a couple of points better than the season he joined with the scratch squead - so, having had two seasons to sort us out we have barely progressed.

Back