• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am having a bit of a dis-as-tuh, dahling, whenver I make a cottage pie and am reaching out for some advice please, from anyone who thinks they can solve the issue.

We love a cottage pie - or shepherds' pie - in my house, doesn't matter which, my problem happens with both!

Every time I've made one in the last few years, the mash has sunk down into the meat so you end up with a meat and potato mix with a little bit of crusty cheesy topping - how can I stop the mash sinking?! Is it because there's too much gravy, or I've made the mash too soft...HELP!

The trick I use is to place the mince layer in the bottom of the dish you are going to cook it in and then place it in the fridge. Leave to cool thoroughly! You will know it has cooled long enough, when there appears to be what looks like a 'skin' on top of the mince. This 'skin' is strong enough to support the weight of the mashed potato. Balance small blobs of mash evenly over the mince and then spread using a fork. The ridges left by the fork in the potato will go nice and crispy when cooked in the oven.

I am having a bit of a dis-as-tuh, dahling, whenver I make a cottage pie and am reaching out for some advice please, from anyone who thinks they can solve the issue.

We love a cottage pie - or shepherds' pie - in my house, doesn't matter which, my problem happens with both!

Every time I've made one in the last few years, the mash has sunk down into the meat so you end up with a meat and potato mix with a little bit of crusty cheesy topping - how can I stop the mash sinking?! Is it because there's too much gravy, or I've made the mash too soft...HELP!

Too much gravy in the meat mix.

Wickes - I ordered some floor boards and some prepped timber to make a new shed door. The floorboards come in packs of 5 and I bought two singles as well. The courier has called and I got the prepped timber, the pack of five floor boards and one of the other two. It seems my one other board is on another van. Really???

Is it just me, or does anyone else question the intelligence of the police nowadays? So, Southend v Barnsley a few weeks back, a skirmish in the North Bank where a few Barnsley fans had a pop at the stewards. A steward gets hurt. The police put out an appeal in the Southend echo to identify 6 Barnsley fans in close up photo's. Then this week they put out another appeal in the Southend echo to identify the men. They can appeal forever down here and get nowhere. If they showed the photo's in the Barnsley local rag, they would most probably all have been arrested by now. Do the police not understand that it would be an absolute miracle if 6 away fans causing trouble from a club in Yorkshire, lived locally.

So it's happened again but a different scenario. In today's Southend Echo main story, a 5 year old boy is mugged of a smart phone in a truly disgusting heartless attack. He was holding the phone for his disabled mum who was on her mobility scooter outside the Queensway Chemist Southend. He was screaming and crying and now traumatised. She's not well at all, and she received heavy bruising in the mugging by 5 men. One of the men stank damp and mouldy, so probably homeless. The police have asked the public to call 101 or chrimestoppers. Why don't they go and gather all the CCTV from that area? They have the time and descriptions. We're always being told that the camera doesn't lie, but people do, or the memory can play tricks. The chemist and doctors almost definitely have the attack recorded on their CCTV, so it's vital evidence. But if the police wait too long, it will be erased. Also, they could release images and ask for the public's help to identify. Some of the homeless are always in that doctors getting a methadone prescription, to take next door to the chemist.

You may think CCTV is good evidence but it's not always. It depends on the resolution of the camera, the lighting etc. When my bike was nicked, in full view of a camera, all the police could see was an indistinct grey blob (apparantly, I wasn't allowed to see the blob).

You may think CCTV is good evidence but it's not always. It depends on the resolution of the camera, the lighting etc. When my bike was nicked, in full view of a camera, all the police could see was an indistinct grey blob (apparantly, I wasn't allowed to see the blob).
Crazy isn't it - we live in an age where a £100 phone can record 1080p video footage, yet most CCTV still looks like it was filmed with a potato.

That part of town is full of CCTV. So there will be some bad, but some very good clear images.

Wickes - I ordered some floor boards and some prepped timber to make a new shed door. The floorboards come in packs of 5 and I bought two singles as well. The courier has called and I got the prepped timber, the pack of five floor boards and one of the other two. It seems my one other board is on another van. Really???
The last floorboard has just arrived, the bloke opened his van and my plank was his only cargo and he told me he had driven for 90 minutes to deliver it. Cute logistic management Wickes. WTF.

Not me, but the Mrs has texted that in the packet of salmon she & MK Jnr were going to have tonight for their tea was a wriggly worm.

Yum!

Quorn it is then!

Back