• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It has a Latin base (Hom - Homo). American English is more akin to English our ancestors used to speak 400+ years ago before English English took on a lot of French spelling. ColoUr for example.

Murder is apparantly Germanic.

I love a bit of word etymology. It's remarkable that for 100s of years, dogs were known as hounds and then for some reason that's lost to the annuls of history, people started using "dog" almost overnight.
A bit like German Shepherds becoming Alsatians after the second World War.

Can you think back over the past decade, and recall those media articles that would appear from time-to-time, where some oddball - usually American - had built his own bomb shelter in his garden, and stocked it full of post-apocalyptic supplies?

Beginning to think that those oddballs were onto something. The plastic, weather-worn, Fisher Price Wendy house that I’ve got in my garden probably won’t cut it.

Can you think back over the past decade, and recall those media articles that would appear from time-to-time, where some oddball - usually American - had built his own bomb shelter in his garden, and stocked it full of post-apocalyptic supplies?

Beginning to think that those oddballs were onto something. The plastic, weather-worn, Fisher Price Wendy house that I’ve got in my garden probably won’t cut it.

Lead line it.

Being booked for a 10.30 pick up to take some people to Ascot, Kev rushed round like a mad thing this morning taking things up to the new house, sweeping through and letting the carpet fitter in, only to be kept waiting outside their house for 50 minutes as they weren't ready! Why not just let us know they were running late?!

A group of kids smashing bottles under the pier today and generally acting like ****s and surpise surprise the Police don't even want to know.

What planet are some parents on? FFS.

A toddler was dramatically rescued from a hot car after being left alone for more than an hour in scorching temperatures.

The boy, thought to be around 18 months old, was freed after a passer-by heard him crying from inside the locked vehicle.

Fire crews finally released him by smashing a window and pulling him from the 4x4, which had been left in a car park in Saffron Walden, Essex, on Saturday.

A ticket stub on the dashboard of the Nissan X-Trail suggested he'd been abandoned inside for more than an hour - as outside temperatures topped 25'c.

Crowds gathered to watch the rescue operation after an announcement was made at a nearby family fun day, urging the boy's parents to return to their car.

Witness Cheryl Thomas, 42, said: "It was unbelievable. We were all enjoying a day out and suddenly they announced this crying little boy had been left inside a hot car.

"We could see the car park from where we were and everyone looked over to see paramedics outside the car, frantically trying to get in.

"Everyone was looking round for a parent rushing over but no-one came. We couldn't believe it when ten minutes later there was still no sign of anyone.

"It was such a hot day, we actually got sunburn while we were out there so that poor little boy must have been in such distress.

"It brings me to tears thinking about what he must have been going through."

Firefighters swooped on the 17-plate vehicle and eventually freed the little boy shortly after 4.30pm after smashing the driver's window.

He was crying and was visibly distressed as he was pulled from the car, which is when a woman - believed to be his mother - finally returned with another young boy.

The toddler was passed to her and they were ushered into the back of a waiting ambulance for the boy to be assessed by a St John's Ambulance crew.

Police officers later spent more than half an hour speaking to the woman in the back of the emergency vehicle.

Mum-of-two Cheryl, an accounts manager, said: "The firefighters did an amazing job getting him out, they worked so quickly.

"Then this woman just appeared from nowhere. No-one realised she was the boy's mum to begin with as she didn't seem to show any emotion over what was happening.

"She had another little boy with her, who was older and holding her hand. We just couldn't understand why you would take one child out with you and leave one in the car for so long.

"Who knows where she had been or what she was doing. She didn't have any bags with her, just a big handbag, so whether she'd popped to a shop or not, I don't know.

"To leave your child for a minute is too long though, let alone an hour."

Sad thing is, she will no doubt claim expenses from the Fire Services for breaking her window?.
Don't suppose for an instant, that Social Services will get involved regarding whether or not she is a caring Mother?.
Dear oh dear, what on earth is wrong with people today?.

She should have her kids taken away from her!

Not sure I agree fully with that, but she should certainly be investigated and kept a watch on. Totally amazes me how some people can leave pets in cars on hot days - but leaving a child on its own in the car EVER is always wrong. Can't get my head around why she'd take one out but not the other?

Anyway, I am hacked off because it is moving day and here I am at 3 am still wide awake....the removal van is due between 8 and half past. The one good thing though is that we don't have to take everything today, don't give the keys back till Wednesday so at least we can leave stuff like toiletries and food items where they are for the time being. Also useful as we have no internal doors until Thursday for the new house, so might need to come back here for a shower (or a poo!) in private, lol!!! I don't think the duck shower curtain in the bathroom doorway will be too hot on privacy!

They were already on a "watched list" by all accounts so I imagine these kid will be taken into care and quite rightly so.

Not sure I agree fully with that, but she should certainly be investigated and kept a watch on. Totally amazes me how some people can leave pets in cars on hot days - but leaving a child on its own in the car EVER is always wrong. Can't get my head around why she'd take one out but not the other?

Anyway, I am hacked off because it is moving day and here I am at 3 am still wide awake....the removal van is due between 8 and half past. The one good thing though is that we don't have to take everything today, don't give the keys back till Wednesday so at least we can leave stuff like toiletries and food items where they are for the time being. Also useful as we have no internal doors until Thursday for the new house, so might need to come back here for a shower (or a poo!) in private, lol!!! I don't think the duck shower curtain in the bathroom doorway will be too hot on privacy!
Good luck girl, we've moved about 15 times over the years and know how stressful it is. I am sure you will settle in quickly.

The air quality in Westcliff this morning. It's so thick you could drink it. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the day.

The air quality in Westcliff this morning. It's so thick you could drink it. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the day.

Yeah it's horrible in London as well. My throat is still rasping after walking into work this morning.

The sooner they ban cars, taxis etc the better. The air we breathe is killing us.

Back