• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In my defence, as I was writing that, yet another do-gooding, charity-loving, money grabber burst into our office with a a clipboard, collection box & a giant teddy bear.

Had to grab my stuff & bolt out into the smoking area before she got to me, so didn’t check the post.

However, you should have known that I meant long socks.

Pervert.
Chugger lover!

Kids have always been far more distracting in cars than answering a call hands free! Bloody ridiculous idea - they should concentrate on the many people still using mobiles manually first!

Kids have always been far more distracting in cars than answering a call hands free! Bloody ridiculous idea - they should concentrate on the many people still using mobiles manually first!
I regularly walk the Vic Ave dual carriageway part near Priory Park and it can be like a section of the Monaco GP along there, every 10th car must be tearing it up, every change of the traffic lights 2/3/4 cars go thru on the red lights (not amber by 2/3 seconds) and every 10-15 car driver is on his/her phone or no seat belt. A diligent traffic bobby could fill their quota of offenders for a month in a morning.
Motoring standards have become 3rd world. Rome is safer!

I regularly walk the Vic Ave dual carriageway part near Priory Park and it can be like a section of the Monaco GP along there, every 10th car must be tearing it up, every change of the traffic lights 2/3/4 cars go thru on the red lights (not amber by 2/3 seconds) and every 10-15 car driver is on his/her phone or no seat belt. A diligent traffic bobby could fill their quota of offenders for a month in a morning.

Barna isn't. :Winking:

I think my point is "why create more laws if those already in statute are not enforced?"

Think on it, not rush rash decisions, sometimes these things happen for best of reasons, get a debrief etc. Sorry though mate.

It's not the first job I didn't get because I have no managerial experience. How the **** am I supposed to get some unless someone gives me the opportunity? Catch 22.

Trying to get help on the internet with O2's top up creditnumber being down for the last two days. The 'chat with an expert' facility a complete waste of time, exacerbated by the assumed familiarity of using your first name and enquiring after your health and then having failed to deal with the problem, asking if there is anything else they can help you with. Aaarghh!

Having learned to fly, where you maintain situational awareness by talking to ATC and continuously listening to everyone else's communications with ATC, I find it quite insulting to be told I'm not able to drive and use a hands free.

That said, it takes a huge amount of practice to be able to keep an aeroplane straight and level and on course (not to mention everything else) whilst using a radio and navigation aids, and following a flight plan. So I guess they have a point about the wider public and I suppose they're not allowed to make exceptions for different driver types...
Didn't get the job. Time to leave NR.

I think I told you some time ago that with your experience you could walk into a contractor (or even a better perm) role somewhere else. It's always easier to stay where you are though, especially when you're so well established. However, being established can also work against you because people won't take a chance on promoting you where a new employer may well do.

The other difference is that you'll be able to "massage" the CV slightly more for a new employer and show you have some management experience even if it's not formal experience. I'm sure you've worked on projects where you've been left to manage people even if it's not a formal management position. That will always be an easier sell with a new employer.

However, if you go contracting management experience will be largely irrelevant because people will be employing (and paying) you for your expertise. You won't need management experience and you'll probably earn a lot more than you're currently on.

Last edited:
I think I told you some time ago that with your experience you could walk into a contractor (or even a better perm) role somewhere else. It's always easier to stay where you are though, especially when you're so well established. However, being established can also work against you because people won't take a chance on promoting you where a new employer may well do.

The other difference is that you'll be able to "massage" the CV slightly more for a new employer and show you have some management experience even if it's not formal experience. I'm sure you've worked on projects where you've been left to manage people even if it's not a formal management position. That will always be an easier sell with a new employer.

However, if you go contracting management experience will be largely irrelevant because people will be employing (and paying) you for your expertise. You won't need management experience and you'll probably earn a lot more than you're currently on.

Cheers. I'm on holiday after today so I'm going to have a good think about my future over the next week or so.

It's not the first job I didn't get because I have no managerial experience. How the **** am I supposed to get some unless someone gives me the opportunity? Catch 22.

This might seem glib, but honesty is the best policy.

Take the time to explain to your manager(s), that you know your worth, tell them what what you expect from them, and set it out clear what you want to do, moving forward.

Also, you’ll be surprised at just how powerful the sentence “how much notice do I have to give?” can really be.

If you’re a valuable member of the team, they’ll take your concerns on board, and something will happen. If nothing happens, then you know where you stand, and you’re better off without them tbh.

Cheers. I'm on holiday after today so I'm going to have a good think about my future over the next week or so.

Obviously the other side of the coin for you is your pension. IIRC NR have a final salary scheme, and you're pretty close to max'ing that out. If that's true you might be better off staying where you are until that point.

It might also be sensible to speak to a financial advisor about this, and whether it's such a good scheme that he would recommend you stay or what you need to earn to compensate for that loss.

This might seem glib, but honesty is the best policy.

Take the time to explain to your manager(s), that you know your worth, tell them what what you expect from them, and set it out clear what you want to do, moving forward.

Also, you’ll be surprised at just how powerful the sentence “how much notice do I have to give?” can really be.

If you’re a valuable member of the team, they’ll take your concerns on board, and something will happen. If nothing happens, then you know where you stand, and you’re better off without them tbh.

Don't bluff though. Make sure you have something else in the bag and quit immediately if you don't get what you want.

Don't bluff though. Make sure you have something else in the bag and quit immediately if you don't get what you want.

For sure.

After exhausting all other avenues, I would/have use(d) that tactic, as a final roll of the dice, to get what I want/deserve.

You can’t throw it around willy-nilly, but if the company value you, then they’ll pull their finger out & do something to keep you. As I said, if they don’t do anything, then 99 times out of a hundred, you’re probably better off elsewhere, anyway.

For sure.

After exhausting all other avenues, I would/have use(d) that tactic, as a final roll of the dice, to get what I want/deserve.

You can’t throw it around willy-nilly, but if the company value you, then they’ll pull their finger out & do something to keep you. As I said, if they don’t do anything, then 99 times out of a hundred, you’re probably better off elsewhere, anyway.

I'd still leave. It shouldn't take you threatening to leave for a company to see your worth. They should be compensating you and treating you accordingly before that point.

I'd still leave. It shouldn't take you threatening to leave for a company to see your worth. They should be compensating you and treating you accordingly before that point.

If you don't get what you want in a job I advise using the old IRA H-Block dirty protest tactic. The boss will come rapidly to your point of view when you confront him or her clad only in a heavily soiled blanked having freshly decorated his or her office.

Having learned to fly, where you maintain situational awareness by talking to ATC and continuously listening to everyone else's communications with ATC, I find it quite insulting to be told I'm not able to drive and use a hands free.

How did the emergency stop go when someone stepped out in front of you whilst you were talking to ATC ?

Unfortunately those type of company’s are few and far between.

And of course, a good company might well value you, but might not be able to accommodate all of your (reasonable) wants/demands/expectations. Or, for lack of a better term, they rely on your good nature to simply accept the status quo, and not rock the boat.

Sometimes a bit of gentle encouragement can get the ball rolling in the manner you want it to. If it can’t, well like I said to MK, you have to do what’s right for you, as an individual.

Back