• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Social Club/Hovel to give it its true definition.

The type of place where people would get offended if you had the audacity to get glassed and bleed on the sawdust.

That being said, I don’t know what the place is like these days.
Can't be that bad it's got a pitched roof!
It's the places with flat roofs you have to be wary

Can't be that bad it's got a pitched roof!
It's the places with flat roofs you have to be wary

We’ve got (had) one of those in Chadwell St Mary, called Daniel’s (now called Chadwell Arms, and is supposedly much better these days)

Could have doubled as The Jockey Pub from Shameless.

6B30A323-DC05-4331-AF74-F3E03695B856.jpeg

We’ve got (had) one of those in Chadwell St Mary, called Daniel’s (now called Chadwell Arms, and is supposedly much better these days)

Could have doubled as The Jockey Pub from Shameless.

View attachment 8703

Yeah there is one in Chelmsford called the red beret which will be my local when we complete on the new house. Used to have a very bad reputation but the area has improved over the 10-20 years, still the only place within walking distance of Chelmsford station we could afford though so obviously still not the best area.

Yeah there is one in Chelmsford called the red beret which will be my local when we complete on the new house. Used to have a very bad reputation but the area has improved over the 10-20 years, still the only place within walking distance of Chelmsford station we could afford though so obviously still not the best area.

The roughest pub I ever went into was The Chequered Flag in Hulme.

It made the Red Beret look like a poncey craft beer gastropub.

The roughest pub I ever went into was The Chequered Flag in Hulme.

It made the Red Beret look like a poncey craft beer gastropub.

The Dolphin in Exeter can trump that. The landlord left there in the middle of the night while the punters were still inside drinking.

I was manager of NatWest Tilbury in the 80s and the pub next door had plastics glasses and the tables and chairs were nailed to the floor, to minimise any possible violent behaviour.

Melbourne? That used to be a right **** hole back in the day. They moved a lot of the scummy lot out of there and dotted them all over the place. A lot ended up in the nice (new at the time) Beaulieu park.

Melbourne? That used to be a right **** hole back in the day. They moved a lot of the scummy lot out of there and dotted them all over the place. A lot ended up in the nice (new at the time) Beaulieu park.
Even 315k there for a 3 bed end of terrace. Think the fact that it's so close to the station has seen a lot of more desirable residents move in. Meadgate appears to be the **** hole of Chelmsford now, everyone is trying to sell their property there at the moment. Big drug problems apparently

Even 315k there for a 3 bed end of terrace. Think the fact that it's so close to the station has seen a lot of more desirable residents move in. Meadgate appears to be the **** hole of Chelmsford now, everyone is trying to sell their property there at the moment. Big drug problems apparently

Places go through phases. I have bought on the fairview estate in Braintree. My wife has lived in Braintree all of her life and when she was growing up fairview was an estate to avoid. Now it’s highly sort after and we managed to get our house for a really good price.

My aunt lived just outside Melbourne and it was really nice friendly family area. But years before she moved there it was horrible.

Places go through phases. I have bought on the fairview estate in Braintree. My wife has lived in Braintree all of her life and when she was growing up fairview was an estate to avoid. Now it’s highly sort after and we managed to get our house for a really good price.

My aunt lived just outside Melbourne and it was really nice friendly family area. But years before she moved there it was horrible.
It's not my no 1 choice of neighbourhood, but at the end of the day I can't afford to buy where I'd ideally like to live. I've had a few mates who have moved to Melbourne over the past few years and they say it is fine. My other half lives in Tottenham at the moment so it's gonna be a big improvement for her haha

I live in Royal South Benfleet and Chelmsford is my preferred destination if I want to buy something or go out for a meal.

Live Dosa is my restaurant of choice and the Bond Street area caters for people like myself even if nine times out of ten I am just trying to ponce free samples in Hotel Chocolat.

Back