• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I'm pretty sure when I ordered Kitchen Knives the driver needed to take a picture of my ID with his scanner thing. Might just be policy rather than the driver being a "bellend".

No way would I give a stranger my passport or driving license so he can take a picture of it....

The new highway code laws they are bringing in. It's going to be carnage. Turning into a junction currently, the vehicles turning have right of way. Now pedestrians will have right of way, meaning cars will be stuck there. There's going to be many stand offs with especially elderly pedestrians waiting to cross, waiting for the car signalling to move. There's going to be cars in a queue bibbing their horns. It's not even broke, so why meddle with it? Cars go and then pedestrians cross when clear. It works. I think this will cause more accidents than it prevents, with the confusion and the impatient drivers. Some drivers will adjust, some having driven all their life a certain way, may forget to stop now and again, possibly resulting in an accident.
Just found out they are now saying about 70% of people don't even know about the rule changes about to start. Oh dear!
I wouldn’t worry. Drivers consider the Highway Code to be optional anyway.

Any drivers who have never: sped; entered a box junction before their exit was clear; waited on double yellow lines; used a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving; driven when still over the limit from the night before; given cyclists the same room they would a car; gone over on an amber light etc and wants to argue knock yourself out.

As YB posts the H Code is "optional" in that it is not a mandatory law backed by punishment or enforcement. It does strengthen a prosecution for such offences as careless or reckless driving but in itself is a guide, as is the Green Cross Code.

When the increasingly invisible plod doesn't seem capable of enforcing the basic road traffic regulations and laws, this new code is really at best. a good intent, wish list at the moment.

The new highway code laws they are bringing in. It's going to be carnage. Turning into a junction currently, the vehicles turning have right of way. Now pedestrians will have right of way, meaning cars will be stuck there. There's going to be many stand offs with especially elderly pedestrians waiting to cross, waiting for the car signalling to move. There's going to be cars in a queue bibbing their horns. It's not even broke, so why meddle with it? Cars go and then pedestrians cross when clear. It works. I think this will cause more accidents than it prevents, with the confusion and the impatient drivers. Some drivers will adjust, some having driven all their life a certain way, may forget to stop now and again, possibly resulting in an accident.
Just found out they are now saying about 70% of people don't even know about the rule changes about to start. Oh dear!

Oh Dear, this is going to be a recipe for loads more accidents, they have just not thought this through.

If the pavement is busy with pedestrians, you in theory will have to wait for hours to turn left. If that is somewhere like the London Road or the High Street, the traffic tailbacks will be horrendous.

Three new rules added to The Highway Code Rule

H1: hierarchy of road users

The first (and most significant) rule in the refreshed The Highway Code sets out the hierarchy of road users. Road users who can do the greatest harm (those driving large vehicles) have the greatest responsibility to reduce the danger they pose to other road users.

Pedestrians (children, older adults and disabled people in particular) are identified as ‘the most likely to be injured in the event of a collision’.

Here’s a look at what the hierarchy of road users looks like:

1. Pedestrians
2. Cyclists
3. Horse riders
4. Motorcyclists
5. Cars/taxis
6. Vans/minibuses
7. Large passenger vehicles/heavy goods vehicles

As you can see, cyclists and horse riders will also have a responsibility to reduce danger to pedestrians. Even so, the updated

The Highway Code emphasises that pedestrians themselves still need to consider the safety of other road users.

The Department for Transport says this system will pave the way for a ‘more mutually respectful and considerate culture of safe and effective road use’.

Rule H2: clearer and stronger priorities for pedestrians

This rule is aimed at drivers, motorists, horse riders and cyclists.

The Highway Code now states clearly that, at a junction, you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road that you’re turning into. Previously, vehicles had priority at a junction.

Drivers should also give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing, and pedestrians and cyclists waiting to cross a parallel crossing (a combined pedestrian and cycle crossing).

Meanwhile, cyclists should give way to pedestrians on shared-use cycle tracks, and are reminded that only pedestrians (including those using wheelchairs and mobility scooters) can use the pavement.

Pedestrians are allowed to use cycle tracks unless there’s a road sign nearby that says doing so is prohibited.

Rule H3: drivers to give priority to cyclists in certain situations

The updated The Highway Code urges drivers and motorcyclists not to cut across cyclists when turning into or out of a junction or changing direction or lane. This rule applies whether the cyclist ahead is using a cycle lane, a cycle track or simply riding on the road ahead.

Drivers are meant to stop and wait for a safe gap when cyclists are:

Approaching, passing or moving away from a junction

Moving past or waiting alongside still or slow-moving traffic

Travelling on a roundabout

Are these rules legally enforceable?

These updates are aimed to keep road users as safe as possible, but not everything in The Highway Code is legally enforceable.

While some of the rules are legal requirements (and you’re committing a criminal offence if you disobey them), many simply serve as guidance.

If you scroll through The Highway Code, you’ll see some rules include ‘must’ or ‘must not’ – these rules are supported by existing laws. For example:

You must give way to pedestrians on a zebra crossing, and pedestrians and cyclists on a parallel crossing

Those that include ‘should’ or ‘should not’ are only guidance and not supported by existing laws, but may be used in evidence to establish liability. For example:

You should give way to pedestrians waiting to cross a zebra crossing

What else is changing?

Rules H1, H2 and H3 aside, there are some other changes to The Highway Code in 2022. The ‘Waiting and parking’ chapter of The Highway Code has been updated to describe the ‘Dutch Reach’. This suggests you should open your door using your hand on the opposite side to the door you’re opening. So, you would use your left hand to open a door on your right side – this naturally makes you turn your head to look over your shoulder.

Meanwhile, EV owners are being reminded that the charging cables for their cars can present a trip hazard for pedestrians.

That Dutch reach rule is punishable with a fine up to £1000. No points on Licence though. It's been reported. So that doesn't come under the must or must not wording which normally means a fine or fine and points for disobeying. Wording says you should open the door..... All very confusing. Most people will not bother doing the Dutch reach.

That Dutch reach rule is punishable with a fine up to £1000. No points on Licence though. It's been reported. So that doesn't come under the must or must not wording which normally means a fine or fine and points for disobeying. Wording says you should open the door..... All very confusing. Most people will not bother doing the Dutch reach.
As I read it, despite the headlines from the media that people “will be fined £1000 for opening doors”, it was actually ‘could be” fined “up to £1,000” IF they recklessly injure a cyclist by randomly opening their doors like a **** without looking.

When you take all the blustering and triggering out of it all, it’s pretty much keep a better eye out for vulnerable people on the road.

You’ll know whether it’s worth engaging in a conversation about it by how quickly someone throws “road tax” into the discussion.

That's weird but probaly just admin.I've ocasionally had an Amazon employee ask me for +photo my Spanish ID number.

I've had deliveries with an age resctriction in the past and the delivery driver has used common sence (I look 49) and not asked me my age. This guy was a plum, he specificly asked for my driving licence or passport. I questioned him and was told it's policy to take a picture of one or the other.

Alarm bells straight away.

I've had deliveries with an age resctriction in the past and the delivery driver has used common sence (I look 49) and not asked me my age. This guy was a plum, he specificly asked for my driving licence or passport. I questioned him and was told it's policy to take a picture of one or the other.

Alarm bells straight away.

Sadly, I think it's just Amazon policy but you're right it's ridiculous when you get to our sort of age.I can remember being in the US and asked to produce some ID when asking for a drink.I was a long haired 21 at the time and was still rather annoyed!

No doubt Elon Musk will walk away scot free from this yet try dumping a chest freezer full of half empty paint tins and used motor oil on National Trust land and you are looking at a hefty fine.

What's hacking me off? Unreasonable I know but...
The increasing use of "You know what...?" and "Ya know wha' I mean?" I have a friend who says this a lot. Irritating.

They're even more common that "Well, basically". :Angry:

What's hacking me off? Unreasonable I know but...
The increasing use of "You know what...?" and "Ya know wha' I mean?" I have a friend who says this a lot. Irritating.

They're even more common that "Well, basically". :Angry:

Well... do you know what he means, though?

Back