• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Here in Australia, specifically Western Australia if you call out an ambulance it’ll cost you $1,000. The vast majority of denizens have ambulance insurance which would cost a family about $120 per year. This stops most of the frivolous call outs.
Health care shouldn't be for those who can afford it.

Doesn't surprise me, had a phone appointment with my GP a couple of weeks ago, after an ongoing issue for a week. After explaining the symptoms got asked 'well what do you want from me?'
Yes. It's the Doctor appointment and lack of help situation that is causing more to go to hospital. If you are in pain or have a bad infection, how can you wait 2 to 4 weeks for a doctors appointment? And then they wonder why A&E is over loaded.

Health care shouldn't be for those who can afford it.
True, but neither should our NHS be available to be abused by people who have never and will never contribute anything towards it.

When it came into being, you worked, you paid your taxes, you got the benefit of a free NHS for you and your family.

There will inevitably have to be some kind of change to the system, it can't cope as it is.

True, but neither should our NHS be available to be abused by people who have never and will never contribute anything towards it.

When it came into being, you worked, you paid your taxes, you got the benefit of a free NHS for you and your family.

There will inevitably have to be some kind of change to the system, it can't cope as it is.
Amazingly there is NO consultation or working group of hospital and NHS partners (ambulance, GPS, chemists, dentists etc) taking place to answer and suggest way forward. Some hot air and newspaper headlines from new MP but nothing else. It appears no person wants to grasp the poison nettle and are bottling getting involved. Journalists aren't pressing either hospital , NHS or political managers on it either.

I was flicking channels a few weeks ago and there was a surgeon from Atlanta doing a bullet removal, a bit like the pimple popper. He was I guess about 50. The patient had had the bullet in her since she was a teenager and had been caught in the crossfire of a drive by shooting at school. The bullet was too near her spine so it was left but over 20 or so years it worked it's way to her skin and was easily removed. They asked the surgeon how many gunshots he'd had to deal with in his career. Now he either said 2-3 or 3-4 I can't remember which. Not too bad I thought either way. Then he added the word hundred. Blimey. I wonder how many a surgeon at Southend hospital would say. Probably none.
The US. Where a troubled probably psychopathic teen can legally buy 2 automatic rifles and 300 rounds of ammunition.

I was flicking channels a few weeks ago and there was a surgeon from Atlanta doing a bullet removal, a bit like the pimple popper. He was I guess about 50. The patient had had the bullet in her since she was a teenager and had been caught in the crossfire of a drive by shooting at school. The bullet was too near her spine so it was left but over 20 or so years it worked it's way to her skin and was easily removed. They asked the surgeon how many gunshots he'd had to deal with in his career. Now he either said 2-3 or 3-4 I can't remember which. Not too bad I thought either way. Then he added the word hundred. Blimey. I wonder how many a surgeon at Southend hospital would say. Probably none.
The US. Where a troubled probably psychopathic teen can legally buy 2 automatic rifles and 300 rounds of ammunition.

Yet can't buy a beer in a bar or eat a Kinder egg (they're too dangerous).

America is one messed up Country (I use that word loosely), it's more of a business.

Yet can't buy a beer in a bar or eat a Kinder egg (they're too dangerous).

America is one messed up Country (I use that word loosely), it's more of a business.

It's seriously ****ed up when certain states want to ban abortions and then outlaw contraception. Certain States are turning into the Handmaids Tale.

More guns in USA than people, how many rounds of ammunition just waiting?

I think - although happy to be corrected - a few years ago, there was an estimated 350 million firearms in America, with around 9 billion rounds of ammunition floating about.

It's to late to do anything about guns in America. To be fair, I wouldn't dream of having a gun here, but if I lived there, I most certainly would for protection in my home. Too many home invasions include guns, murder, rape and violence. So especially if you have a family, you need a gun for protection. The upside is they have shown the rest of the World what happens if you allow people to own guns. So it stops other Countries even thinking about going down that route.

It's to late to do anything about guns in America. To be fair, I wouldn't dream of having a gun here, but if I lived there, I most certainly would for protection in my home. Too many home invasions include guns, murder, rape and violence. So especially if you have a family, you need a gun for protection. The upside is they have shown the rest of the World what happens if you allow people to own guns. So it stops other Countries even thinking about going down that route.
It really depends where you live. The big cities have transformed into hellscapes but my little town in SW Colorado is beautiful and safer than anywhere I've lived in England. Gun ownership and stand your ground laws mean that there are far fewer burglaries or random assaults than there are back home. Very few people will risk death for a flatscreen TV or because they want to act like a big man in front of their mates.

I own a few guns and keep them safely locked away. I wouldn't let my kids near them and I do agree that you should be 21 before being able to purchase a firearm. The bigger crisis here and in many 'civilized' countries is the fragmentation of our society and the complete abdication of any responsibility from all levels of government towards mental healthcare and safeguarding the vulnerable in our society.

I don't understand how you have to be 21 to legally drink but in the States, you can be a gun owner at 18. You're either an adult or you're not.

Back