• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Monthly work performance reviews.

Every year the management decide to update the goals and they roll out a fresh new rebrand of the way we should work. Be it called standards / values / objectives / behaviours whatever. Everytime they seem to think its the best thing since sliced bread but its actually the same values just rebranded and worded slightly differently.

To work in a job where you come in, do your job and go home and your performance review at the end of the year is a 5 minute conversation saying yep you've worked to the best of your ability. No form filling throughout the year, no 1 to 1s with your manager with awkward conversations about how you showing your working to the companies values.

Do such jobs exist

Absolulutely this. I still go through this bollocks despite the fact no longer getting a bonus or a payrise for 3 years. Even when I did it was a heavily criticised Bell Curve model and IF you worked your arse off to get "excelled" you got a whole 0.5% difference from those who just did the bare minimum.

Absolulutely this. I still go through this bollocks despite the fact no longer getting a bonus or a payrise for 3 years. Even when I did it was a heavily criticised Bell Curve model and IF you worked your arse off to get "excelled" you got a whole 0.5% difference from those who just did the bare minimum.
If you don't mind me asking, what has stopped you from going else where with a potential rise in pay?

One of the reasons I became a contractor.

I worked for a US investment bank and reviews were not just about how well you performed your job - they were about how much extra curricular stuff you did to get ahead.

As a contractor all you have to worry about is being renewed...and not being let go at a moments notice...or enforced rate cuts and/or furloughs...or falling ill...
Exactly this.

I hated HR and performance reviews as an employee and a manager. HR made the whole process a pain in the arse.

As you say, as a contractor all I need to know is if they want to renew my contract...which i'm about to do with a 10% rate increase...albeit for 3 months (to start with).

If you don't mind me asking, what has stopped you from going else where with a potential rise in pay?

Nothing, and before C19 I was applying externally and have started again. I have an excellent final salary pension in NR that I'm highly unlikely to get elsewhere and I'm not that far off retirement.

Nothing, and before C19 I was applying externally and have started again. I have an excellent final salary pension in NR that I'm highly unlikely to get elsewhere and I'm not that far off retirement.

You may find that a higher paying job elsewhere more than compensates.

Yeah I am looking. Bombarded by recruitment agencies as per usual.
Got told by a recruitment company yesterday that I couldn't know the company name I was applying for because they hadn't spoken to them, I'd like to know who I'm applying for! 😂

Got told by a recruitment company yesterday that I couldn't know the company name I was applying for because they hadn't spoken to them, I'd like to know who I'm applying for! 😂

Yeah, same here, there are certain areas I would never work in.

Yeah I am looking. Bombarded by recruitment agencies as per usual.
I know we've had this conversation before, but your skillset is so transferable I'd be amazed if you didn't find something that pays a lot more. Given the way the workplace pension works I'd have thought you could forego the final few years on your NR pension because the new job would more than compensate. There's no evidence behind that, just a gut feeling.

I know we've had this conversation before, but your skillset is so transferable I'd be amazed if you didn't find something that pays a lot more. Given the way the workplace pension works I'd have thought you could forego the final few years on your NR pension because the new job would more than compensate. There's no evidence behind that, just a gut feeling.

I am looking. Just been turned down (for the 3rd time) for voluntary redundancy.

Apologies to any recruiters here but they can be incredibly slippery and often try to finesse useful information out of you even if they have no intention for putting you forward for a role (assuming the role actually exists). Beware of casual questions about colleagues and managers because these will be be used to determine internal org charts so they can target new business.

Recruiter LinkedIn photos all look like they were taken for a Love Island audition as well.

Last edited:
Apologies to any recruiters here but they can be incredibly slippery and often try to finesse useful information out of you even if they have no intention for putting you forward for a role (assuming the role actually exists). Beware of casual questions about colleagues and managers because these will be be used to determine internal org charts so they can target new business.

Recruiter LinkedIn photos all look like they were taken for a Love Island audition as well.
Indeed. Three's a few I trust, but most are awful.

You do know there's no proof of that whatsoever? It's also something that is impossible to prove because you have no idea what it would be like if you didn't have.

That said, it's also possible it works as well as any placebo.

As you say impossible for me to prove as I can't be 'on honey' and 'off honey' concurrently. But the rest of family were popping pills last year when I wasn't and so far this year I'm probably fairing a little better than them. There is some logic to the theory of why it could work - but I'm not a chemist/biologist so no expert opinion. Could be many variables - who knows??? But for anyone suffering might be worth a go next year.

Back