• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

After the Ron news we decided to get a Pearl Dragon take-away in celebration (hopefully). The price of dishes had been hiked up by 15% since we went there last (Feb). The Dragon takeaway has never been cheap but it will mean we will swerve them far more in future. :Sad:

After the Ron news we decided to get a Pearl Dragon take-away in celebration (hopefully). The price of dishes had been hiked up by 15% since we went there last (Feb). The Dragon takeaway has never been cheap but it will mean we will swerve them far more in future. :Sad:
Chinese is always expensive nowadays, feels like you have to re mortgage your house to have one!

Reactions: RHB
Who are all these people who complain / are offended and who decides what is deemed to be an “outdated’ word?
People who see an opportunity to sell more copies by telling schools the versions they have are offensive, so they should throw those away and buy new copies instead.

Who are all these people who complain / are offended and who decides what is deemed to be an “outdated’ word?
I'm guessing no-one has complained. They're just assuming people will.

Personally I find Enid Blyton books to be really dated in their language and attitudes. I'm quite happy that my kids never read them. I don't see the point in hiding or banning them as I think most people wouldn't read them these days anyway as there are some far better kids' books around.

Censorship based upon assumption, dangerous ground. All literature dates, that’s an inevitability, Shakespeare and Dickens are both very outdated though (imo) make for great reading. The beauty of literature is the wide choice in reading available, something to suit everyone.

no one, it's the media manufacturing a culture war to distract us from the real issues. as LB says, the language and attitudes are completely outdated and for that reason Blyton has very limited influence in terms of what kids are reading these days.

no one, it's the media manufacturing a culture war to distract us from the real issues. as LB says, the language and attitudes are completely outdated and for that reason Blyton has very limited influence in terms of what kids are reading these days.
Typical Telegraph culture wars rubbish. Blyton was of her day, reflecting the narrow minded, insular mentality of a Britain that no longer exists, if it ever did, except in the minds of Telegraph and Daily Mail readers. Little literary merit in her work either so it's not Shakespeare or Dickens we're talking aboiut.

Used to read Enid Blyton books in my youth. Now knocking 40 and i did find them a little dated when i read them but i used to love all those kind of books. Secret Seven, The Hardy Boys etc I thought "Lashings of ginger beer" and picnics seemed great (although i'm lead to believe Enid never actually wrote Lashings of ginger beer.

You read a book and enjoy the story. If its not relevant to its time then it will eventually be passed over for books that are.

Shakespeare and Dickens are very outdated and may have gone out of print ages ago, but for the fact that students have to pour over them in English lessons and write a 500 word essay discussing the character of Miss Havisham.

The only thing I learnt from Shakespeare was how offensive it was to bite my thumb at someone. Who year group seemed to do nothing but for about a month after finding out the meaning

Shakespeare and Dickens are timeless because they wrote about the human condition. I am sure you didn't intend a comparison with an essentially trivial childrens' author, albeit one with a nasty streak of racism, xenophobia and sexism.

Last edited:
My point was good books will stay in print for as long as they are relevant and in keeping with todays society. I read Enid Blyton books in the late 80s when I was around 7 / 8. That was 20 years after Enid died and the racism in her work starting to be questioned.

Perhaps i wasn't reading them correctly as i just read the stories. I'm not a raving racist, nor do i have xenophobia undertones to my character.

I do however request that my dinner is provided at 6pm sharp and my work trousers and shirts are washed, ironed and put away ready for me the next day by my wife as its her role.

Perhaps the sexism did seep through into my person. Damn you Enid!!

Can we stop meddling with literature please! There is nothing wrong with Enid Blyton's books!!!

People like Enid Blyton are the reason Indian restaurants have Omelette and chips on the menu.

Even then she would probably consider the Omelette to be foreign muck.

Back