• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some people's financial "sense"!

Bloke in a band I occasionally play in grinds my gears. No guitar or amp ("It's in Cash Con's again"). Doesn't drive, never got any spares (strings, leads), expects to be picked up, lent gear every time but still got money to get p*ssed every time. Grrr!

Smart meter guys turned up today to fit smart meter. Said they couldn't fit it because electricity meter is in metal box and box should be plastic under their regulations to fit the new smart meter. Not their responsibility to change the box its UK Power network.

Call to UK Power and they said their responsibility ends with the electrical fuse. It's my responsibility as I own the box. They can assist in helping to move the box for a charge but would only assist in turning off the power via the electrical fuse. The can do the same if the box needs replacing, but only if the box is damaged or failing off. Changing from a metal box to plastic is not a valid reason apparently.

Called a local electrician who said they can replace the fuse box but the other bits in the cupboard are the responsibility of the other companies (Energy provider for the meter and UK Power network for the main electrical fuse) and they would need to come out and move them to allow the box to be replaced.

Answers on a postcard please

20220630_075901.jpg

@Supershrimper we had same thing with gas companies when trying to get my daughter's newly purchased flat connected, reconnected to gas. It had been cut off some time with previous owners for unknown reason. It involved 3 seperate companies; all responsible ( or rather notably not responsible) for the meter, local connection and mains supply, none cooperative advice or help, no time scale or estimates. Complete ****fest.

I had a SM fitted probably last year and your lay out looks identical to mine. It was a quick swap of the old for the new, no problems.

Smart meter guys turned up today to fit smart meter. Said they couldn't fit it because electricity meter is in metal box and box should be plastic under their regulations to fit the new smart meter. Not their responsibility to change the box its UK Power network.

Call to UK Power and they said their responsibility ends with the electrical fuse. It's my responsibility as I own the box. They can assist in helping to move the box for a charge but would only assist in turning off the power via the electrical fuse. The can do the same if the box needs replacing, but only if the box is damaged or failing off. Changing from a metal box to plastic is not a valid reason apparently.

Called a local electrician who said they can replace the fuse box but the other bits in the cupboard are the responsibility of the other companies (Energy provider for the meter and UK Power network for the main electrical fuse) and they would need to come out and move them to allow the box to be replaced.

Answers on a postcard please

View attachment 20848
Don’t get a smart meter

Don’t get a smart meter

I won’t profess to know too much about SM’s, but this is my general feeling too.

If it’s anything like a water meter (or has the potential to be used in the same manner, I.e. once installed cannot be removed), then I’d rather go dive on my head, than have one installed.

Update. 2 more blokes turned up to fit the meter. Previous fitters hadn't cancelled the order so they arrived to fit the meter. But the same reason (metal meter box) they couldn't fit the meter.

Here's a thought, tighten up the electrical connections so that none of them come loose to make the box live

Last edited:
I won’t profess to know too much about SM’s, but this is my general feeling too.

If it’s anything like a water meter (or has the potential to be used in the same manner, I.e. once installed cannot be removed), then I’d rather go dive on my head, than have one installed.

Why? What's the big conspiracy theory?

I'd much rather a electric and gas smart meters than a water one (but alas when we moved into the house it already had a water meter)

Smart meters are exactly the same as normal electric meters. You get to choose the frequency at which the information is sent. It can be sent every half an hour, daily or monthly. The your bills are more accurate and the energy companies aren't estimating your usage when your bills arrive

It's not like a water meter where before fitting one your on unlimited water and just pay a flat fee.

I'd much rather a electric and gas smart meters than a water one (but alas when we moved into the house it already had a water meter)

Smart meters are exactly the same as normal electric meters. You get to choose the frequency at which the information is sent. It can be sent every half an hour, daily or monthly. The your bills are more accurate and the energy companies aren't estimating your usage when your bills arrive

It's not like a water meter where before fitting one your on unlimited water and just pay a flat fee.

I had the cistern changed in the loo and the clown who fitted it left it leaking into the pan. I was hit with a bill for over £130 p/m (a rise of nearly £100). Thames Water graciously wrote it off by adding a few quid to my monthly bill.

I had the cistern changed in the loo and the clown who fitted it left it leaking into the pan. I was hit with a bill for over £130 p/m (a rise of nearly £100). Thames Water graciously wrote it off by adding a few quid to my monthly bill.

How did you fail to notice this?

In any case this is a really simple fix - you adjust whatever mechanism you have so that the valve closes before the water level hits the overflow or you check the dump valve isn't dealing.

Last edited:
How did you fail to notice this?

In any case this is a really simple fix - you adjust whatever mechanism you have so that the valve closes before the water level hits the overflow or you check the dump valve isn't dealing.

I didn't notice it or hear it. I think I changed the mechanism myself afterwards. I have now, in fact, fitted and refitted two toilets thanks to Youtube.

Our water costs have more than halved now we have a water meter and there’s just the two of us living in the house. Maybe not so good for larger families with heavier usage but for us the usage is constantly on the low side. On top of which we get to trial it for 2 years then decide either to keep or remove.

There‘s been previous comment on here about so-called ‘smart’ meters, seems to be a marmite topic. Though, why anyone thinks being charged over £400 through their bills for the dam things is a benefit of having one fitted is way beyond my logic….

Yes, got to agree with kaymac's view on water meters. My bill halved once having one fitted. I think if you have 1 or 2 people in your home, then you're better off with one, and if you have 3 or more then you're better off without one. I think the estimated bills are based on how many rooms your home has, they then guess how many people and the water usage. Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. If a single person, then I'm sure you'll be better off with a meter, unless you're extremely wasteful with water.

Water meters are pretty good. We are charged at just less than the yearly amount for being on a unlimited / unmetered water usage rate even though we are a family of 4. I don't water the garden or wash my car as much I probably would if I wasn't on a water meter so it does help you in those ways. And the paddling pool only gets filled up in periods where its going to be used for a good week or so. Not like my neighbour who fills theirs up on the Saturday then empties it on the sunday (flooding my garden as our garden is lower)

Just a thing on water meters, whilst you can try one out and if your not convinced they will switch you back to a flat rate, they do not remove the meter. So when you come to sell the house the new occupants will have to have a water meter.

And there is currently a roll out for smart water meters that sent out information every hour to monitor usage and help spot possible leaks.

"Just a thing on water meters, whilst you can try one out and if your not convinced they will switch you back to a flat rate, they do not remove the meter. So when you come to sell the house the new occupants will have to have a water meter."

Yes - some companies give a one-year option, some two.

Back