• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
I have to be honest here, I rarely go to any games these days..due to the fact of boredom mostly. I always thought football was about scoring goals not being the best at conceding less.. Is that not what entertains people?

For the PB era we seem to be quite good at defensive but have hardly any clue about actually winning games by putting the ball in the net.

You can make all the excuses you like about team gelling, it's a higher division blah blah...Last season was the same we scraped though on luck and a prayer...90th minute I think.

Football is at the end of the day meant to be an attraction/entertainment and something fans look forward to.

I am sorry if I offend, but we need to sort this out. Goals make games come to life.

I have to be honest here, I rarely got to any games these days..due to the fact of boredom mostly. I always thought football was about scoring goals not being the best at conceding less.. Is that not what entertains people?

For the PB era we seem to quite good at defensive but have hardly any clue about actually winning games by putting the ball in the net.

You can make all the excuses you like about team gelling, it's a higher division blah blah...Last season was the same we scraped though on luck and a prayer...90th minute I think.

Football is at the end of the day meant to be an attraction/entertainment and something fans look forward to.

I am sorry if I offend, but we need to sort this out. Goals make games come to life.

I'm afraid the goals situation is simple. We do not put enough goal scorers out on the pitch. We have very good players who are totally capable of playing to a remit that suits their particular skills. The supposed 4-3-3 with one recognised striker means 2/3 of the the attacking players are not natural scorers.

Yesterday we managed to get the ball in the opposition box on a number of occasions and by and large Swindon were first to it and cleared fairly easily. Its because the nous required in the box, positionally, is the craft of a striker and not of make-shift mids/wide mids, asked to fill the position.

The reality is we play 4-5-1 and PB is bereft of attacking knowledge and demonstrates this repeatedly. If I were him I would sit down with Hunt who clearly has an attackers brain and ask him how to get a better set up at the front. It might be beneficial to ask him to take the training sessions with the strikers we have on the books and the creative mids, so that they may all be on the same page and know where to play the ball.

I have to be honest here, I rarely go to any games these days..due to the fact of boredom mostly. I always thought football was about scoring goals not being the best at conceding less.. Is that not what entertains people?

For the PB era we seem to be quite good at defensive but have hardly any clue about actually winning games by putting the ball in the net.

For me mate, your point is valid in terms of entertainment and games coming to life. It's pretty difficult falling in love with Brown's style. And ultimately that will make it more difficult for him if we continue to struggle for points. If the approach is effective, (most) people will put up with it, but when it's not... the support will fall away quickly. Those that don't put up with it evidently seem intent to put the wins down to luck and the defeats down to ineptitude.

Goals win games, possession doesn't...you don't score, you don't win. I'm with you totally John

You often say the same thing Phil but it's still only half the story. Goals don't win games. Scoring more than the opposition does.

To that end, there are many ways to win a football match. You can be offensive, or you can be tight, or you can be a thousand shades in between. Cambridge scored more goals than we did last year but finished near the relegation slots. Which would you have taken in the long run? It is NOT just about scoring goals and it's clear we amassed our record points total last year through the set up that made us difficult to score against.

Brown isn't going to change and his stall is set out. We'll pick up points the same way as we did last year (nowhere near as many it may be) but it'll be even tougher if we don't put away our chances as our whole approach still needs SOMEONE to at least put ONE away.

Where I DO agree with you both is in terms of entertainment. Ultimately, we never started watching football to amass points. We came for the entertainment and that's why Brown's relationship with the fans will always be problematic. That doesn't make him lucky though or his approach to winning games any less effective.

If all you care about is goals and not the league we are in. Then why don't your go down playfootball on a week night and watch 5-a-side...plenty of goals there. If you care about promotions and success, then we have chose a style that has worked to get a promoted with a record amount of points....

As a mod, can't you merge all these negative and repitive threads into one? Just call it "face don't fit" and even after wins you can moan about the lack of goals/formation ect.

I fell out of love with football a long while ago, especially the Premiership, but it's in the blood I guess and I can't give it up. Mind you, it's difficult to deny that the play-off final was a staggeringly entertaining event - although for much of the time it was painful to watch, it's conclusion will live with me for ever.

Goals are what attract most people to football matches and we don't have a natural goalscorer at the moment. Our opponents yesterday have scored nine goals in their four matches. We have scored one. I'd rather watch Swindon for entertainment, but they are not my team. Shrimpers are my team.

It reminds me of something an elderly Exeter City fan said to me several seasons ago when they were relegated when we played them in the last match of the season. I was sitting next to him and when the final whistle blew and Swansea City had stayed up I commiserated with him:

"You must have been supporting them a long time; I'm sorry you're going out of the League."

"Yes", he said, "I've supported them since 1946. They've always been crap."

But Exeter was his team.

If all you care about is goals and not the league we are in. Then why don't your go down playfootball on a week night and watch 5-a-side...plenty of goals there. If you care about promotions and success, then we have chose a style that has worked to get a promoted with a record amount of points....

As a mod, can't you merge all these negative and repitive threads into one? Just call it "face don't fit" and even after wins you can moan about the lack of goals/formation ect.

Repetitive maybe but that cuts both ways. Negative though, no. It takes all sorts.

I learned on here years ago that sometimes people just need somewhere to spout after a defeat. And where better than an online forum? Doesn't stop me biting occasionally but it is what it is.

As an owner I can do what I like, but I am pragmatic in all things Zone wise. If having an opinion offends you..I guess that's tough.These forums are about discussion. If this offends you personally, well you know where the door is.

This moment has been coming for some time now, where the lack of scorers/scoring becomes a big issue. As others have said, last year we were successful in the end so the goal scoring issue was overlooked by most. I think Phil is/was (not sure here) hoping that Hunt, Mooney and Pigott would provide those goals, and that may happen, although there is no sign of the ruthlessness needed yet.

Whilst I can't say that PB is a natural 'attacking' manager, I can say that he is not stupid and recognises that what he has put together so far is not going to cut it in FL1. For this reason he is probably pulling up trees in the background trying to get another more natural scorer to provide that extra missing ingredient. I know it's been said before, but he didn't take a side up to the Premiership on luck alone and I still think he will come good.

I understand why some are no longer going to the Hall much, that is everyone's prerogative but I would also say that the last outing at Wembley was one of the more exciting days of my life. Bring lucky never crossed my mind....being lucky to be there to witness the game, now that's another thing.

As an owner I can do what I like, but I am pragmatic in all things Zone wise. If having an opinion offends you..I guess that's tough.These forums are about discussion. If this offends you personally, well you know where the door is.
It's "our zone" when you want some extra cash each year though.

It's "our zone" when you want some extra cash each year though.

Oh behave....you singled me out....It was a personal poke. Of course we need backing each year....it you are so bright and want to take on the running of The Zone...cough the 3k up.

I forgot also to spend a few hours a day replying to PM's and admin messages, site updates etc..

One of my favourite things to do at a football match is launch myself out of my sit full pelt jump around screaming like an idiot when we score. I honestly feel sorry for the guys who have paid for the first 3 home games and have yet to see a home goal scored. It's part of the game and what excites everyone about the game seeing great goals scored and seeing a thriller that ends 4-3.

I miss the days of being a season ticket holder but from the recent reports/scores I am pretty glad I am not because it sounds frustrating as hell. We need some goal scorers and we need other players to stop relying on the striker(s) to be the goal machines. I think set pieces need to be massively worked on remember when we had Mark Phillips and he scored 10 in a season for us, we need a defender who can bang them in from a corner, free kick, Leonard long throw!

I'd rather us play dull football and win, compared to dull football and lose.

There have only been a few times in my time supporting where we've been consistently playing great football and winning. I think we've been a little spoilt over the past 12 seasons at times, and people forget the 6 seasons prior which were absolutely dire.

I don't think the football is especially dull - maybe slight risk-less and lacking in genuine flair. I think he wants to get the points coming in before he starts being confident at playing more attacking line-ups, and going for teams a bit more. Personally, I'd like us to respect the opposition less and try and make early pressure count with earlier goals.

I'd also like us to tie goalscorers down with a new contract...

Oh behave....you singled me out....It was a personal poke. Of course we need backing each year....it you are so bright and want to take on the running of The Zone...cough the 3k up.

I forgot also to spend a few hours a day replying to PM's and admin messages, site updates etc..

Well you know where the door is
Happy%20Smilie%20aug%202010.gif

No getting away from it,we struggle to score once let alone more.

It is IMO mismanagement of the highest order,we still havnt seen a single goal from us at the Hall,could understand new division but since Phil has been here it's been the same pattern,tight at the back fight em on the beaches ,it's hideous.

So far we have done £200 and its getter tougher to justify spending it on tosh.

Sorry if this has offended anyone:winking:

I'd rather us play dull football and win, compared to dull football and lose.

There have only been a few times in my time supporting where we've been consistently playing great football and winning. I think we've been a little spoilt over the past 12 seasons at times, and people forget the 6 seasons prior which were absolutely dire.

I don't think the football is especially dull - maybe slight risk-less and lacking in genuine flair. I think he wants to get the points coming in before he starts being confident at playing more attacking line-ups, and going for teams a bit more. Personally, I'd like us to respect the opposition less and try and make early pressure count with earlier goals.

I'd also like us to tie goalscorers down with a new contract...

I agree.
Browns initial aim ( home and away ) is to keep it tight and not concede.
Playing 1 up ( even at home ) does not have to be negative ( Arsenal , Chelsea , ManCity etc ) but with us , we don't have the attacking midfielders ( Hazard , Sanchez , Silva etc ) to back it up and therefore our 'one' gets isolated and picked out on here and at the ground as the 'fall guy'.
I actually felt we had a lot of attacking intent yesterday and went forward with purpose on several occasions without giving me any real hope that we would score.
We gave it a go yesterday , but those not there will just see another loss and another goalless game from us.
Dull it was not.

Should note, I'm talking in general, I've not seen us at home this season

Fear of losing outweighs gamble to win. We didn't even win the play off final only drew it..just. (Without pens obviously)

PB's philosophy seems to be keep it tight til the latter stages of a game, then bring on fresh subs i.e. Weston and try to nick the game.

unlikely to see many goals therefore boring tactical hardworking games that have served him well so far

It's doubled edged this argument when you support a team isn't it. Because of course as supporter you want to see wins, however as a customer ( of which you also are when you buy a ticket ) you want to be entertained. I would say however that Southend fans aren't alone in the world of football when you say in an idea world you want both, but invariably you will be probably have to settle for 1 of the 2 more than other over the course of a season, one example in living recent memory would be maybe the Liverpool team of 2 seasons ago. They played some amazing attacking football ( entertainment box ticked ), however their defence weakness cost them the title over the season ( so what would the Liverpool fans in hindsight Of wanted - less entertainment and some tighter games or the football they did but settle for second).

I actually really enjoyed the game yesterday, I thought we played some excellent stuff in areas of the game and stood on more than 5 or 6 times to applaud an excellent attacking move or a world class save by their goal keeper . The match turned on Paynes miss, which was on the back of some superb football, resulting in the superb cushioned header by Hunt. If Payne had scored ( and he should have ) the game would have been very different, we did more than enough to score a few more times, but their keeper had an inspired game , especially in the final 15 minutes.

My feeling therefore at the end of game yesterday, as a "supporter" I was left frustrated by the result but not disappointed by the Southend players performance, as I said, unlike Walsall we were the better team yesterday and as a customer I left a game that I actually enjoyed.

Now of course I'm not saying if we lose every game like that this season I'll be happy, of course i want to see wins, but the margins are very fine between what you want and what you need when you watch the team you've supported since your childhood and will continue to support until the day you die !

UTB's

Back