• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

Off to Tenerife for 3 weeks tomorrow, once again to sunny Los Gigantes. Fortunately won't miss too much footie. COYBB

I've just booked ballet tickets for me & MK Jnr to see the Nutcracker in London whilst Mrs MK is on the lash. Not sure if I'm mad or a good dad.
My dad took his wife to the ballet in the summer as it is something she always wanted to see. He had no interest whatsoever but really enjoyed it, might not be as bad as you think.
Still, rather you than me

Ticket secured for Spurs v Olympiakos so I can complete the current top 4 divisions once again

Now to get them properly framed up - if anyone has any knowledge in this area and can identify what the medals are, and why the plaque, then that would be great. Am happy to research myself, but happy to listen to anyone who knows.

Leslie Palmer medals resized.jpg

Now to get them properly framed up - if anyone has any knowledge in this area and can identify what the medals are, and why the plaque, then that would be great. Am happy to research myself, but happy to listen to anyone who knows.

View attachment 9951
What service was the gentleman in? Approx yrs etc and google search on UK medals for period should be no problem. I expect The legion might know, and also know a framer.

What service was the gentleman in? Approx yrs etc and google search on UK medals for period should be no problem. I expect The legion might know, and also know a framer.

He was lost at sea aged 17, but I don't think he was actually in the navy - possibly Merchant navy? The ship was a trawler for mining cables, sunk by a U-boat.

Not a completely Blues free day after all. Latvian Sports channel showing Cyprus v Scotland live and a certain J Demetriou is playing for Cyprus.

View attachment 9951
The two medals are both from WW1. The one on the left is the Victory Medal and the one on the right is The British War Medal. Not sure about the one in the middle. I used Chartwell Gallery in Southchurch Road for framing my dad's medals. Not sure if they are still there.

Leslie Palmer Service No. London Z/1814 was a Signalman on board H.M. Trawler "Yesso" and was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve.

The H.M. Trawler "Yesso", was a hired trawler, Admiralty No 166. Built in 1911, 229grt, Grimsby-reg GY.600. Armament: 1-6pdr. In service 8.14-2.17 as minesweeper. Mined 9.2.17 off Aberdeen and sunk.

The H.M. Trawler "Yesso" was mined about 600 yards 045° from the S Breakwater of the entrance of Aberdeen harbour, at a location 57° 09'N, 2° 03'W, there were 7 casualties.

The H.M. Trawler "Yesso" was mined by U-Boat UC-29 captained by Ernst Rosenow who died himself on the 7th Jun 1917 in the Irish Sea.

H.M. "Vesso" was built in 1911 at Cochrane & Sons, Selby, and the Peace-timer operator was H.L. Taylor, Grimsby.

There is a memorial to Leslie Palmer here:-

Leslie Palmer.jpg

Further details of the Chatham Naval Memorial and you can download this as a PDF file of this Commemorative Certifcate follow link below.

Link

doc5619036.jpg

Ref the above Mr Palmer.
The war memorial is on the hill over looking the barracks and docks. Road access is limited so park and walk up is good.
I know this as a Great Uncle, Marine Commando Sgt D Rattenbury is on the WW2 wall there, killed Walcheran Nov 1944 when his landing craft took direct hit, no survivors or bodies.
I hope you visit Kay as it is well worth the day out.

View attachment 9951

Make sure you use Art Tech Framing in Canvey they do a fantastic job.

Wow, you lot are all wonderful - I have a copy of the certificate, and my sister has visited the war memorial at Chatham although I haven't. Special big thanks to @The Big Dady for all the background info there, much appreciated.

Wow, you lot are all wonderful - I have a copy of the certificate, and my sister has visited the war memorial at Chatham although I haven't. Special big thanks to @The Big Dady for all the background info there, much appreciated.
Some more info for you.

H.M. Trawler "Yesso" Builder

cochrane.jpg

Cochrane & Sons.jpg

Yesso.jpg

cochrane (1).jpg
H.M.Trawler "Yesso" right hand column about half way down.

Yesso Wreck Site.jpg
H.M.Trawler "Yesso" wreck site

Roll of Honour Full List of the 7 Casualties RIP

1. HENDERSON, JAMES, Deck Hand, (no. 11090DA), Royal Naval Reserve,
Husband of Alice Henderson of 65 Dunbar Street, Old Aberdeen,
Memorial: Portsmouth Naval Memorial
Age 29

2. MACLEAN, JOHN, Deck Hand, (no. 506SD), Royal Naval Reserve,
Son of Neil Maclean, of Borreraig, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye,
Age 27

3. MCKAY, JOSEPH STEWART DAVIDSON, Trimmer, (no. 3985TS), Royal Naval Reserve,
Age ?

4. MCLEOD, JOHN, Leading Deck Hand, (no. 440SD), Royal Naval Reserve,
Son of John and Margaret McLeod, of Lower Bayble, Stornoway;
Husband of Kate McLeod, of 27, Lower Bayble, Stornoway, Ross-shire,
Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial
Age 46

5. MORRISON, DAVID, Trimmer, (no. 1063TS), Royal Naval Reserve,
Age ?

6. PALMER, LESLIE, Signalman, (no. London Z/1814), Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve,
Son of George James and Alice Rosalie Palmer, of 10, Ilfracombe Avenue, Southend-on-Sea. Born in London,
Memorial: Chatham Naval Memorial
Age 17

7. RENNIE, DAVID, Engineman, (no. 927/ES(PO)), Royal Naval Reserve,
Memorial: Aberdeen (Trinity) Cemetery
Age ?

More Details Here

Back