• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

I'm on my third listen of Massive's Attacks seminal album "Blue Lines" and I've only just realised. :Hilarious:

Job interview outside of NR. The company looks great, a bit of a payrise BUT I'm on a final salary pension in NR. I need to move but do I sacrifice that if I'm offered it?

Decisions decisions.

...and this photo. Two mice coming to blows over Bart vs Flavs.

_110862357_samrowley.jpg

The grass is not always greener...

Oh mate, I know but I need a change and due to the upcoming re-org there's a recruitment freeze on at NR - not to mention that NR seem to be focussed on project management/manager skills at the level above me rather than technical skills. I've been for 3 jobs and failed at all 3 just because I've had no managerial experience.

So I may be inline for being made redudant - I just don't know - and in that case I lose the redundancy pay which will be a fair whack seeing as I've been here for 18 years. Or if not, do I keep my head down for the next 12 years of my life just because of the pension?

Devil & deep blue sea.

Job interview outside of NR. The company looks great, a bit of a payrise BUT I'm on a final salary pension in NR. I need to move but do I sacrifice that if I'm offered it?

Decisions decisions.

Depends on the deal...and speak to an advisor too.

Oh mate, I know but I need a change and due to the upcoming re-org there's a recruitment freeze on at NR - not to mention that NR seem to be focussed on project management/manager skills at the level above me rather than technical skills. I've been for 3 jobs and failed at all 3 just because I've had no managerial experience.

So I may be inline for being made redudant - I just don't know - and in that case I lose the redundancy pay which will be a fair whack seeing as I've been here for 18 years. Or if not, do I keep my head down for the next 12 years of my life just because of the pension?

Devil & deep blue sea.
12 years and pension or change ships and have to work for 25years more?
Stay put, do the work, get lucky, be healthy, what is the worse that could happen?

12 years and pension or change ships and have to work for 25years more?
Stay put, do the work, get lucky, be healthy, what is the worse that could happen?

Its not so easy....I'm not sure I can stomach another 12 year....but who knows I may faff up the interview.

Last edited:
Final,salary pensions are gold dust.. if you can cash them in when you leave.. if it’s one where,you can’t then they are merely silver dust

Those bad boys where selling a nearly 50 times pensionable salary from 60 yrs old.
‘but you could then take em from 55. If that makes sense
think they may have dropped off a bit now though ..
sure you have the market risk but equally do you trust your employer to honour them for 40 more years

Watching from hospitality tonight, using up our player sponsorship "treat". At least we'll be sitting comfortably and able to have a drink while watching.

Devil & deep blue sea.

Best person for advice would be Sol

Those bad boys where selling a nearly 50 times pensionable salary from 60 yrs old.
‘but you could then take em from 55. If that makes sense
think they may have dropped off a bit now though ..
sure you have the market risk but equally do you trust your employer to honour them for 40 more years
Could you elucidate?

If we're talking the Railway Pension Scheme, it's in fairly healthy nick. Contributions had to rise by a few % to cover the shortfall, new starters have to work for 5 years before they're allowed in.

If anything happens to the RPS they'll be mass strikes that would cripple the economy. It's not just NR who are members, it's train drivers, station staff etc.

Devil & deep blue sea.

Money doesn’t buy happiness. I was told to stay for an extra 3 years to get my half pension from the military. I couldn’t stomach the extra 3 years of being sent away all the time. Living away from my family and being just generally miserable. Leaving was the best thing I’ve ever done. I feel healthier (mentally) and am much happier.

Yes I may be worse off when I come to retire but the extra stress I would’ve had by staying those 3 years would probably knock time off my life. The grass may not always be greener but family life and job happiness is way more important than money.

Back