• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

This lockdown has forced me into running as my normal 3 x weekly 6 a side footy has been mothballed to zero.

Always hated running and was never any good at steady running, 30 years of playing football have tuned my body for short repetitive sprints rather than distance running. Also those years have played havoc with my achilles tendons so I get pains and cramps when running on hard surfaces.

Any how at almost 46 I feared that stopping football and not replacing it to keep my fitness up would make it very difficult to start again so running it is. 3 weeks in, I'm now doing 5k everyday and once or twice a week push that up to 8k something that I could never imagine doing before.

Went out this morning and timed my 5k through Grove Woods, my route takes me up two horrible long steep inclines to make it even worse!

Was pleasantly surprised to notch a time of 25:47 although it nearly finished me off. Not easy in the blustery wind either so I will try to beat the 25 minute barrier for my next challenge.

Have you considered hill sprints? They'd be more akin to football I would have thought. (That said, you seem to be getting the hang of running!)

That's exactly like me. I'm also please when I force myself to do something I didn't want to. It's good for you mental strength.

Mind you the only time I run early morning is in the middle of summer when it's too hot otherwise. I find it very difficult to run unless I've had a lot to drink first, and then given my stomach time to settle. That may be an age thing, but I really struggle otherwise. Although, again, maybe it's the thought of it rather than anything else.

BTW: I've just got back from my 10k. Last week I thought I was going fast and was 30 seconds slower than average. Today I thought I was slow (especially in the wind) and was about 60 seconds faster than average. Clearly I have no idea how to pace myself!

I use the Nike Run Club app and have used it for years. You can get it to tell you either every half or full mile/kilometre. I find it quite useful I can normally tell how my run will go after my first miles pace. If it’s in the 7’s it’ll be a good one if in the 8’s I’ll have a steady one. It can be good or bad at times because if it’s low 7’s then I start to step out and up my pace to try and get near a PB.

Have you considered hill sprints? They'd be more akin to football I would have thought. (That said, you seem to be getting the hang of running!)

Anyone care to give any tips to save me from searching online? I think I know what they entail and it's not sounding like any sort of fun activity.

Another good run this morning, got a sub 25 minute 5k time and felt a lot better. The pollen is playing havoc on my hayfever so it gets tough at times with my breathing.

Spotify's Discover Weekly mix. Some great music on there I've not heard before, a bit of Northern Soul, bit of The Fall. Nice when BBC6 is getting a bit jaded.

I have just tried Discover weekly.

The first song was ****.

Telephone and Rubber Band - Penguin Cafe Orchestra

I've found some gems on discover weekly.

A couple of years back I went to see a Jerry Dammers (the specials) DJ set and he has quite the record collection! had my shazam out on my phone and made a playlist the next day. From that playlist discover found loads more obscure 60's SKA to add to the playlist. Excellent feature.

I've found some gems on discover weekly.

A couple of years back I went to see a Jerry Dammers (the specials) DJ set and he has quite the record collection! had my shazam out on my phone and made a playlist the next day. From that playlist discover found loads more obscure 60's SKA to add to the playlist. Excellent feature.

You may want to follow Mark Lamar on Twitter as well - the man has impeccable taste. He tweets YT links all day.

Back