• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

Marcus Rashford.

Irrespective of the politics or your view about school meals, what he's done is pretty inspiring and he's a credit to his family and community. Fantastic footballer too.
Oh dear seems like he’s another celebrity taxdodger preaching to us plebs.1603917840075.jpeg

Oh dear seems like he’s another celebrity taxdodger preaching to us plebs.View attachment 13184

I do a very similar thing as do most people who pay themselves through a limited company.

I am still taxed on the dividends although not as much (and Marcus Rashford will be taxed at a higher rate) and I have to make my own provision for illness, redundancy and retirement.

OK, I do not earn as much as Marcus Rashford and am less of a social justice spokesman but limited companies are a legitimate way of working for many.

The system is set up to benefit the rich. Don't hate the player, hate the game and think about this next time you vote.

Many of the right wing journalists and TV commentators who have a hard on for Rashford are undoubtedly paying themselves the same way.

Last edited:
I do a very similar thing as do most people who pay themselves through a limited company.

I am still taxed on the dividends although not as much (and Marcus Rashford will be taxed at a higher rate) and I have to make my own provision for illness, redundancy and retirement.

OK, I do not earn as much as Marcus Rashford and am less of a social justice spokesman but limited companies are a legitimate way of working for many.

The system is set up to benefit the rich. Don't hate the player, hate the game and think about this next time you vote.

Many of the right wing journalists and TV commentators who have a hard on for Rashford are undoubtedly paying themselves the same way.

Indeed. Until I took a perm role I did the same, minus the off shore bit.

They've been very economical with the truth. The money in his directors loan account is, as you say, taxed (albeit at a lower rate). He also pays an enormous amount of PAYE on his Man U salary.

Basically he's stayed within the law and paid all the tax he should. His accountant has done his job. This really is a non story.

If you don't like it then campaign for the system to be changed. Don't blame people for using the system. More to the point, the system has been like that for donkey's years so if any government wanted to sort it out they could have done a long time ago.

Indeed. Until I took a perm role I did the same, minus the off shore bit.

They've been very economical with the truth. The money in his directors loan account is, as you say, taxed (albeit at a lower rate). He also pays an enormous amount of PAYE on his Man U salary.

Basically he's stayed within the law and paid all the tax he should. His accountant has done his job. This really is a non story.

If you don't like it then campaign for the system to be changed. Don't blame people for using the system. More to the point, the system has been like that for donkey's years so if any government wanted to sort it out they could have done a long time ago.

As a contractor I believe many contractors do take the **** with their tax arrangements but if it is within the law that is their business.

It all changes next April anyway however I predict outside IR35 contracts will start to appear again after a while.

I have no objection to being taxed but I objrct to being taxed as a permanent employee when I have very few of the benefits and rights.

Just realised there is lot less Halloween tat on display.

I quite like kids celebrating Halloween like they do in the US but despise all of the plastic rubbish that goes with it.

As a contractor I believe many contractors do take the **** with their tax arrangements but if it is within the law that is their business.

It all changes next April anyway however I predict outside IR35 contracts will start to appear again after a while.

I have no objection to being taxed but I objrct to being taxed as a permanent employee when I have very few of the benefits and rights.

Totally agree.

I have a friend who is a contractor. He was in the public sector when the IR35 rules came in for them. He left and joined me back where I was. After a year he got a call from his old manager asking him to come back. He refused because he didn't want to be inside IR35. Her response was interesting. She said the they had lost all their contractors and all their projects were behind schedule and they had reversed their blanket IR35 policy and were now looking at each role on its merits. The role she wanted him for was outside IR35...he went back!

I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens in the private sector. At some point companies are going to want to attract the better people, and the way to do that will be to differentiate themselves from the rest.

As it happens the IR35 rules haven't changed. The only change is who is liable for the NI if HMRC decide the role should have been inside IR35. Companies are more risk averse and are therefore making the decision that roles should all be inside. What's interesting to note is:

1. Apparently HMRC have never won an IR35 case because the rules are so vague the courts can't enforce them. (I have been told this but haven't been able to corroborate it.)
  2. It is possible to take out IR35 insurance. If you do that then the insurance company will have to satisfy themselves that your contract is IR35 compatible. Once they've done that then you're good to go.
  3. It would also be possible to do what a friend of mine has done. He has it is his contract that he will indemnify the company his is contracting with for any NI that they end up owing should HMRC win any case that may or may not be brought.
I don't like the idea of a perm role, but I'm pleased I have something given the circumstances. It should help me ride out the storm...

Despite Macron's announcement on French TV last night that the new lockdown here will come into force from yesterday,he also made it clear that people will still be able to return from holiday in France until Sunday,which had been our original intention.Win,win. :Smile:

Last edited:
Despite Macron's announcement on French TV last night that the new lockdown here will come into force from yesterday,he also made it clear that people will still be able to return from holiday in France until Sunday,which had been our original intention.Win,win. :Smile:

Gets more complicated in that the Catalan regional Government have now banned anyone from travelling on Catalunya's roads this weekend.Just been on the blower to the French consulate in Perpingan and it appears we have all the necessary documentation to return to SC. Mind -blowing,Think in the circumstances we might leave our return to Monday, (Also just heard that the Cambridge classes I would have been doing at the LFB will be done online from next week.Dodged a bullet there).:Smile2:

Took the kids mini golf and had a Kaspas afterwards. Other than putting a mask on to go in the shop and to order at the restaurant it was a really nice day.

Depressed with SUFC and Ifollow - I made my first visit of the season to Bickland Park in Falmouth to see Falmouth Town take on Abingdon United in the FA Vase first round, first good thing an old persons entry plus a programme only £4 (with a cup of Bovril at half time making it up to the fiver). Second good thing the match - Falmouth won 3-1 with a man sent off inside 20 minutes, an own goal, missed a penalty, hit the bar and the post, Abingdon had a man sent off in the 80s and proceeded to score a goal with 10 men as well - both teams played good attacking passing football (on the floor mostly) with attackers taking on players and no ****ing tippy tappy along the line of defence - a breath of fresh air :Happy:

Because of the imminent appearance of Boris, the Little Mix program has been taken off tonight's schedule. I'm so grateful for small mercies.

Little Mix are just ghastly.

I watched part of the first episode and was amazed that behind the façade they were even more superficial than I could possibly have imagined.

The sad thing is there are probably girls across the country phoning it in at school because they are convinced they are going to be the next Little Mix/Instagram influencer.

Slow cooked (2 hours) belly of pork from the butchers, crispy roast pots, brussels and stuffing followed by spiced plum and pear crumble with custard. Seriously stuffed, seriously happy.

Back