• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is making you happy today?

She might need another look then. Lowest prizes on offer are £25, £50 or £100

I've just asked. The cheque I thought was for £30 was actually for £50.

She actually won £75. Happy days.

Cricket again. We had no idea what to get our eldest son for his birthday this year. (His birthday is late August.) My wife and I were discussing it whilst sitting at Lord's with both our sons watching the abomination that is The 100 (the boys love it) when my wife suggested a wicket keeping lesson with the Middlesex wicket keeper. Given my son is a wicket keeper/batter and is a huge Middlesex fan (he has a shirt and bat both signed by the whole Middx team) that seemed perfect.

The problem was that I had no idea who he was, how to get in touch with him, or how much he would charge. I messaged my friend the football agent as he also manages players from other sports to see if he thinks a player would do that. His answer was that he might well do and told us what he would expect a player to charge.

So, having found out that the Middx wicket keeper is John Simpson and that my son thinks he's amazing, I rang the Middx commercial department and put the proposal to them. They said they wouldn't deal with it, but would pass my contact details on to John. It took a bit of chasing, but eventually he messaged me to ask for more details. I explained that my son isn't some kid who just wants a lesson, I explained that he's his team's wicket keeper and that he's part of the Herts development squad. I also pointed out that Middx play a lot of their matches at my son's club's home ground when Lords isn't available so if he was happy to do it we'd be happy if he wanted to combine it with a Middx match.

He basically said he'd do it, but that he'd like to wait until the season has finished and he had been on holiday for a friend's wedding etc. He also said he would rather not do it at Radlett, but would Lords be OK?!!

So, on my son's birthday we gave him a card and a "voucher" for one wicket keeping lesson which explained the lesson wasn't with his normal coach, but would be with John Simpson at Lords! His reaction was amazing!

We've scheduled it for this Sunday, and John's asked us to give him an extra hour before the lesson so he can take us on a tour of Lords first!
That’s brilliant, well done

That’s brilliant, well done
He had the lesson on Sunday and thoroughly enjoyed himself. It's a good job the tour of Lords was first as my son was somewhat star struck to start with! By the time the lesson started he'd got over it.

John was so nice too, he gave my son a shirt that he signed saying happy birthday!

As an aside, Sajid Mahmood was giving someone a batting lesson in the next net. I got the impression that wasn't a one off, and the parents pay for weekly lessons. The kid was a very very good batter.

Daughter has managed to get two tickets for Blur at Wembley next July and she wants her old git of a dad to go with her 😁 Genuinly touched that she wants to spend time with me at a gig.
That’s excellent.
I took my son (23) to watch Peter hook( joy division/ new order) and he loved it and joined in with us old nutters at the front

Back