• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is our best combination up front?

Smudger

Manager
It almost feels like “least ****” is more appropriate but I’ll give it a go.

Given that we are looking to play more aggressive, attacking football I would like to start with Halford and Akinola up front with Holmes just behind them in the hole, feeding off Halford’s knock downs. Halford might be approaching past it but he can still rough defenders up and make a general nuisance of himself.....

There isnt one.

I just hope pbs been working on either sim, rhf rush or walsh to play a strikers role. And not all out wide like mm seemed to favour.

Acquahs not good enough, and id never let goodship play in the first team ever again.

Halford and Holmes or Akinola.Leave Goodship collecting splinters on the bench as that is his best position

I suspect Goodship would have scored more goals if he didn't drop so deep or wide.

He never seems to be anywhere near the box.

I suspect Goodship would have scored more goals if he didn't drop so deep or wide.

He never seems to be anywhere near the box.
Amount of times you see him just gradually drift to the touchline.....

And ive lost count of the times ive said to myself "is goodship actually on the pitch?"

Acquah is the only one capable of adequately operating as a target man. He's not ready for L2 yet, but he's the best we have in that role - he's been miles more effective than Halford and is considerably more mobile.

I'd play him with Akinola or better still have Akinola and ANG/Egbri/s either side of him as a 4-3-3 as has been the case in some of our better performances this season. This would free Olayinka or Holmes up to be used in their best position, attacking centre midfield with the likes of Macca/Ferguson/Taylor/Demetriou sitting in behind.

If memory serves me correctly (I may be wrong), our best run of the season, both for goals and results, was that spell in December/early January when we played Olayinka at the top of a midfield 3, with a lone striker flanked by two wide forwards.

Obviously, that still doesn't give us enough firepower unfortunately but from what I've seen, it's the best we have.

Sadly , as often happens when you have a cheap jigsaw or get one from the local charity shop , i fear there are 2 pieces of the jigsaw missing. And these 2 pieces are the strikers , obviously.

That same feeling that you have spent all that time & effort putting everything together all season + hoping the outcome will be great , but at the end of the day when the jigsaw is left unfinished , you might aswell chuck it in the bin + start a new one next season.
Maybe a smaller easier one, with less expectation of how it will end up looking like. :-(

Its also quite ironic Phil Brown is talking jigsaws , when all his strikers go to pieces when they are in the box

I do think there is a good player in Goodship somewhere. We have seen glimpses of it in the past where he has chipped in with a few goals but his confidence is so shot to pieces I don't think there is any way back for him at this club. I'm sure he will go somewhere else and gain confidence again, I just can't see it here.

I do think there is a good player in Goodship somewhere. We have seen glimpses of it in the past where he has chipped in with a few goals but his confidence is so shot to pieces I don't think there is any way back for him at this club. I'm sure he will go somewhere else and gain confidence again, I just can't see it here.
Rarely do you see a player so completely out of his depth.

Acquah is the only one capable of adequately operating as a target man. He's not ready for L2 yet, but he's the best we have in that role - he's been miles more effective than Halford and is considerably more mobile.

Wow. What more could he possibly have done to show us that he is a complete donkey not good enough for League 2? I’d play Fagan up front ahead of him.

Back