• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is our best combination up front?

It almost feels like “least ****” is more appropriate but I’ll give it a go.

Given that we are looking to play more aggressive, attacking football I would like to start with Halford and Akinola up front with Holmes just behind them in the hole, feeding off Halford’s knock downs. Halford might be approaching past it but he can still rough defenders up and make a general nuisance of himself.....

Suspect this is very much what we'll see from the start tomorrow with Aquah waiting on the bench to come on for Halford after 60 mins or so.Probably the best we can do though obviously not ideal.Goodship also on the bench for laughs.

I'm shining towards Halford and someone quick - if you watch his hold up play and lay offs he is way an above better than anything we have, but unless we whip crosses into the box I cant see him scoring with his feet.

We need someone who can support him quickly and burn away from the last defender, RHF is quick and has reasonable feet, Walsh I've not seen enough but heard he is rapid, Holmes needs to be deeper as he lacks pace badly. ANG close control and ability to drift past players means he could be an option but he doesnt ever seem to want to pull the trigger and that hesitancy may nullify the other great bits of his game.

Its all just a mess really isn't it, a former right back and probably a winger to save our season...May aswell stick Hobsonbauer and Tyrrell up front

There isnt one.

I just hope pbs been working on either sim, rhf rush or walsh to play a strikers role. And not all out wide like mm seemed to favour.

Acquahs not good enough, and id never let goodship play in the first team ever again.

Funny old game football.

My choice would be Acquah and Goodship playing in advanced positions together up front.......and not drifting back into midfield.....

Funny old game football.

My choice would be Acquah and Goodship playing in advanced positions together up front.......and not drifting back into midfield.....
If he does play those two lets hope your right and pb has told to play as strikers not defensive wide midfielders!

Halford & Akinola with Holmes behind. After 60mins swap Halford for Acquah & Holmes for Rush or Goodship. Still can’t see us scoring ..

Acquah is the only one capable of adequately operating as a target man. He's not ready for L2 yet, but he's the best we have in that role - he's been miles more effective than Halford and is considerably more mobile.

I'd play him with Akinola or better still have Akinola and ANG/Egbri/s either side of him as a 4-3-3 as has been the case in some of our better performances this season. This would free Olayinka or Holmes up to be used in their best position, attacking centre midfield with the likes of Macca/Ferguson/Taylor/Demetriou sitting in behind.

If memory serves me correctly (I may be wrong), our best run of the season, both for goals and results, was that spell in December/early January when we played Olayinka at the top of a midfield 3, with a lone striker flanked by two wide forwards.

Obviously, that still doesn't give us enough firepower unfortunately but from what I've seen, it's the best we have.

Disagree with you. I actually think Acquah is ready for L2. He's come on leaps and bounds this year and we've continually been a better team with him in it than out of it. I've also been impressed with the way he's kept his confidence up despite being poorly treated by Molesley. The bigger problem isn't so much him up front but the absence of any goal threat from those playing off of him. The likes of Benjamin, Goater, McDonough weren't prolific scorers for us - we got spoilt with Corr as a goalscoring targetman - but made goals for the likes of Angell, Eastwood and Crown. No doubt those who said Harrold and Ladapo were worse than useless will slag Acquah off as well.

Akinola escapes all the criticism Acquah attracts but has been a big disappointment. There's a player in there but playing in this team and his embargoed start hasn't done his confidence any favours. Add in the fact that he's been carrying an injury and it's been a struggle. His penalty miss was probably the moment that got Molesley the sack and I don't think he's scored in open play yet (both goals came from set pieces IIRC). I'm less concerned about the lack of goals than the complete absence of any goal threat. We simply haven't seen him look to get into shooting positions enough. Think of Acquah's goal v Walsall - that's the type of thing we should be looking for for a player with Akinola's skillset but whilst he has the ability to if not beat a man at least work a shooting opportunity he seems forever turning away from goal.

ANG is the opposite whereas he glides effortlessly past defenders towards goal but he too has shown little end product. However he should be the attacking player with the most confidence in front of goal at the moment with two in his last five so it was bewildering to see him left last week. Brown doesn't seem to fancy him which seems shortsighted when he's our only player to have scored in the last 11 matches. He might not be his type of player but surely needs must.

RHF hasn't scored since 2 minutes into his debut. The initial confidence he had when he joined in January has evaporated. He works hard, he's direct and a very north-south runner - too much so almost like an early computer game character that it makes him too predictable. He's got a shot on him too but seems to lack the refinement to get in positions to use it.

Halford is another that hasn't scored since a couple of minutes into his debut. I can't say there's been a single game since January when I've been grateful for his stint having been extended and thought we'd have been worse off for his absence. He clearly doesn't have the legs to play midfield or defence any more and players traditionally move backwards as they get older and lose their pace, not further forwards. He was an emergency measure and I think everyone expected us to replace him with a proper player (not Ranger) in January. I quite enjoy watching him up front as it gives me hope I might yet make it.

Ranger - how people didn't see that ending in tears I don't know.

Goodship - I see a conference south player. He's nowhere near strong enough to play down the middle, he gives the ball away too often and other than an occasional ball inside the right-back I don't see what he offers. No doubt those complaining that Bond/Waddock/Campbell/Molesley played him in the wrong position and didn't give him a chance will now say the same about Brown.

Egbri brings a lot of energy but has lacked end product in his career to date. His lack of match practice probably makes it hard for him to be anything other than a sub Saturday. Molesley's sacking was terrible news for him as all his good work early season will be forgotten. Pre-season will be big for him.

Holmes - is another one not fully fit. He's getting closer but he's not going to regain his glory days. He's another one that has been devoid of end product - how many crosses or shots can you remember him having? That's a long way from the player we saw at Roots Hall half a decade ago when that never would have been an accusation thrown at him.

Olayinka is clearly the pick of our attacking options. He's probably not fit either but we're just going to have to take that gamble. I'd play him centrally ahead of Ferguson and Taylor holding (although we all know the experienced McCormack and Demetriou will play). Acquah obviously leading the line with ANG and probably RHF out wide. I'd look to have Egbri, Akinola and Holmes on the bench (I'm not convinced any are fully match fit) with McCormack (another who's not fit) plus Rush in case we need to change formation plus a defender (Demi) and a keeper.

Disagree with you. I actually think Acquah is ready for L2. He's come on leaps and bounds this year and we've continually been a better team with him in it than out of it. I've also been impressed with the way he's kept his confidence up despite being poorly treated by Molesley. The bigger problem isn't so much him up front but the absence of any goal threat from those playing off of him. The likes of Benjamin, Goater, McDonough weren't prolific scorers for us - we got spoilt with Corr as a goalscoring targetman - but made goals for the likes of Angell, Eastwood and Crown. No doubt those who said Harrold and Ladapo were worse than useless will slag Acquah off as well.

Akinola escapes all the criticism Acquah attracts but has been a big disappointment. There's a player in there but playing in this team and his embargoed start hasn't done his confidence any favours. Add in the fact that he's been carrying an injury and it's been a struggle. His penalty miss was probably the moment that got Molesley the sack and I don't think he's scored in open play yet (both goals came from set pieces IIRC). I'm less concerned about the lack of goals than the complete absence of any goal threat. We simply haven't seen him look to get into shooting positions enough. Think of Acquah's goal v Walsall - that's the type of thing we should be looking for for a player with Akinola's skillset but whilst he has the ability to if not beat a man at least work a shooting opportunity he seems forever turning away from goal.

ANG is the opposite whereas he glides effortlessly past defenders towards goal but he too has shown little end product. However he should be the attacking player with the most confidence in front of goal at the moment with two in his last five so it was bewildering to see him left last week. Brown doesn't seem to fancy him which seems shortsighted when he's our only player to have scored in the last 11 matches. He might not be his type of player but surely needs must.

RHF hasn't scored since 2 minutes into his debut. The initial confidence he had when he joined in January has evaporated. He works hard, he's direct and a very north-south runner - too much so almost like an early computer game character that it makes him too predictable. He's got a shot on him too but seems to lack the refinement to get in positions to use it.

Halford is another that hasn't scored since a couple of minutes into his debut. I can't say there's been a single game since January when I've been grateful for his stint having been extended and thought we'd have been worse off for his absence. He clearly doesn't have the legs to play midfield or defence any more and players traditionally move backwards as they get older and lose their pace, not further forwards. He was an emergency measure and I think everyone expected us to replace him with a proper player (not Ranger) in January. I quite enjoy watching him up front as it gives me hope I might yet make it.

Goodship - I see a conference south player. He's nowhere near strong enough to play down the middle, he gives the ball away too often and other than an occasional ball inside the right-back I don't see what he offers. No doubt those complaining that Bond/Waddock/Campbell/Molesley played him in the wrong position and didn't give him a chance will now say the same about Brown.

Egbri brings a lot of energy but has lacked end product in his career to date. His lack of match practice probably makes it hard for him to be anything other than a sub Saturday. Molesley's sacking was terrible news for him as all his good work early season will be forgotten. Pre-season will be big for him.

Holmes - is another one not fully fit. He's getting closer but he's not going to regain his glory days. He's another one that has been devoid of end product - how many crosses or shots can you remember him having? That's a long way from the player we saw at Roots Hall half a decade ago when that never would have been an accusation thrown at him.

Olayinka is clearly the pick of our attacking options. He's probably not fit either but we're just going to have to take that gamble. I'd play him centrally ahead of Ferguson and Taylor holding (although we all know the experienced McCormack and Demetriou will play). Acquah obviously leading the line with ANG and probably RHF out wide. I'd look to have Egbri, Akinola and Holmes on the bench (I'm not convinced any are fully match fit) with McCormack (another who's not fit) plus Rush in case we need to change formation plus a defender (Demi) and a keeper.

Great post besides the guff mentioning Acquah in the same sentence as our greatest targetmen of all time. He wouldn’t make the top 500.

Agree with pretty much everything else though! If we can get 70 minutes out of Olayinka that would be fantastic - for me he’s the best player in the team by some distance.

Im with smudger, agree with all but the acquah comments YB. And i often wonder whether akinola plays the way he does (running back, running out wide) of his own accord or whether he was told by MM to do so, maybe we will find out under brown.

It almost feels like “least ****” is more appropriate but I’ll give it a go.

Given that we are looking to play more aggressive, attacking football I would like to start with Halford and Akinola up front with Holmes just behind them in the hole, feeding off Halford’s knock downs. Halford might be approaching past it but he can still rough defenders up and make a general nuisance of himself.....

Not sure you would get all 3 on the pitch in those positions at the same time

[QUOTE="Yorkshire Blue, post: 2361697, member: 1665"]
Disagree with you. I actually think Acquah is ready for L2.
He's come on leaps and bounds this year and we've continually been a better team with him in it than out of it. I've also been impressed with the way he's kept his confidence up despite being poorly treated by Molesley. The bigger problem isn't so much him up front but the absence of any goal threat from those playing off of him. The likes of Benjamin, Goater, McDonough weren't prolific scorers for us - we got spoilt with Corr as a goalscoring targetman - but made goals for the likes of Angell, Eastwood and Crown. No doubt those who said Harrold and Ladapo were worse than useless will slag Acquah off as well.

Akinola escapes all the criticism Acquah attracts but has been a big disappointment.
There's a player in there but playing in this team and his embargoed start hasn't done his confidence any favours. Add in the fact that he's been carrying an injury and it's been a struggle. His penalty miss was probably the moment that got Molesley the sack and I don't think he's scored in open play yet (both goals came from set pieces IIRC). I'm less concerned about the lack of goals than the complete absence of any goal threat. We simply haven't seen him look to get into shooting positions enough. Think of Acquah's goal v Walsall - that's the type of thing we should be looking for for a player with Akinola's skillset but whilst he has the ability to if not beat a man at least work a shooting opportunity he seems forever turning away from goal.

Goodship - I see a conference south player.
He's nowhere near strong enough to play down the middle, he gives the ball away too often and other than an occasional ball inside the right-back I don't see what he offers. No doubt those complaining that Bond/Waddock/Campbell/Molesley played him in the wrong position and didn't give him a chance will now say the same about Brown.

[/QUOTE]

Think we know all this stuff.Although the idea that Aquah is ready for L2 is just ludicrous.

(FWIT, I always liked Matt Harold not Freddy).

Last edited:
Oxley and Elvis. Can't do any worse. Seriously tho, Acquah has improved very slowly this season. Still miles away from being a regular goal scorer tho. For a start he needs to find space instead of always being in a defenders pocket. Maybe when he finds that space, he will have a shot.
So I would go with Acquah and Akinola. The best of a very poor bunch of strikers. Next season where ever we end up, we need a complete clear out and overhaul.

It a shame but I think that Dieng is probably the best number 9 we have at the club , which speaks volumes about the others :(

Back