• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What is Southend greatest ever away league win.

DTS

The Business
Over the years we have for a fairly small club had some great results in the LEAGUE away from home.

Really hard call but for me the best one ever was Birmingham away when we won 3-1 a few years ago.

It was amazing when you think they I think got promoted that season. They had so much to play for and such quality in there side. We also went a goal down quite early on only to come back and romp it 3-1.

Is this the best ever away LEAGUE win?

Carlisle away back in March 2004. Leon C got 2 goals, we were 17th, playing a team who were bottom. Benno had just signed, and we feared the worst. The fans were scum. We beat them 2-1 and the revolution started...

Our 3-1 away win at Derby in Nationwide Division 1? Some reports suggest we've never played better.

Our 3-0 away win at Bristol City after we'd just won promotion from League Two - including at least one wonder-strike from Freddy - really made people, especially our own fans, sit up and take notice.

Barry Fry's first game in charge was a 4-2 win at Roker Park - they don't get much more amazing than that, especially since we'd looked completely down and out up until that point in the season.

Matt

I'd have to go for 3-1 at Derby, November 1993, under Barry Judas. We were up and around the play-off places, as were Derby, and we crucified them on their own pitch. Otto was at his brilliant best, and this was one of the rare periods when Gary Jones was possessed by the spirit of Gerd Muller (most of the time he was more like Ned Miller). This game made me think we were going to the Premier League, and it's times like that which make it hard to accept that mid-table in the third tier is good going.

Edit: Typed this before seeing MtS's post. I would say we've never played better.

Although I wasn't there, Coventry won this division in 1963/64 and Blues won 5-2 in front of 28000+.

Honourable mentions for Bury and Colchester during our title winning season.

I'd have to go for 3-1 at Derby, November 1993, under Barry Judas. We were up and around the play-off places, as were Derby, and we crucified them on their own pitch. Otto was at his brilliant best, and this was one of the rare periods when Gary Jones was possessed by the spirit of Gerd Muller (most of the time he was more like Ned Miller). This game made me think we were going to the Premier League, and it's times like that which make it hard to accept that mid-table in the third tier is good going.

Edit: Typed this before seeing MtS's post. I would say we've never played better.

Agree with Rusty, best SUFC performance I've seen. Derby were a good side and yet we buried them.

Although I wasn't there, Coventry won this division in 1963/64 and Blues won 5-2 in front of 28000+.

Honourable mentions for Bury and Colchester during our title winning season.

Oh yes, the bliss of seeing that 3-0 with even Che scoring!

Wasn't there, but our 5-4 victory at QPR in 1963-4 must have been quite a game and if we could only manage to repeat our 6-3 mauling of the Ewes at Layer Road in 1955-6 ..
.............I reckon that thread would go on for quite a while!

Our 3-1 away win at Derby in Nationwide Division 1? Some reports suggest we've never played better.

Our 3-0 away win at Bristol City after we'd just won promotion from League Two - including at least one wonder-strike from Freddy - really made people, especially our own fans, sit up and take notice.

Barry Fry's first game in charge was a 4-2 win at Roker Park - they don't get much more amazing than that, especially since we'd looked completely down and out up until that point in the season.

Matt

Great shouts, especially Sunderland - didnt Fry join late on the Friday and then met the players on the coach up North?...

4th May 1991 - Gigg Lane Bury, when we finally reached the promised land for the first time..........

Bury 0 Southend 1

Who put the ball in the Bury net ?????

4th May 1991 - Gigg Lane Bury, when we finally reached the promised land for the first time..........

Bury 0 Southend 1

Who put the ball in the Bury net ?????

Great for the event and what happened but beating Bury away as a result rather than the significance of the result is fairly small time.

I have a terrible memory but even I can't forget the 3-1 win at St Andrews. Huge beaming smiles as we made our way back to the car and just the spark of belief that maybe we could make something of the season.

The Brummy fans hardly turned up for the match as they had a big game at the weekend and they were saving their pennies; and anyway they were going to trounce us weren't they. What's that they say about the best made plans?

Back