• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is the current injury situation?

I would say that Hyam is fit to play. Demetriou and Lennon are fit but rusty, and Kiernan is way behind those as extremely rusty and possibly unfit having hardly kicked a ball for so long.

Hmmmm.....Man U had 10 first team players on the treatment table......

Finished the game with 3 teenagers on the pitch....

A little positivity and a little bit of trust

You mean they won a game with injuries? Impossible surely

Was interesting for Rio and the other panelists to mention how OGS made no mention of the injuries in the pre match.....they saw it as giving the players no excuse....

You can say they got the rub of the green, which is true, but they also had a game plan showed great discipline and trust in it and were brave on the ball and in the final third when possible....they also made lots of mistakes and accepted that as part of football...

One of the 'teenagers' that came on cost United £19 million and the other two are youth internationals. United also have the finances to afford backup players in every position that are good enough to start. It's not really the same situation as us.

As has also been pointed out positivity is a bit of a stretch, United had 27% possession and largely won because PSG gifted United two pathetic goals and conceded a penalty that was harsh (although under the current rules it actually is the correct call but VAR means they get picked up on a lot more than they used to, which is why clearer penalty rules are coming in from next season).

One of the 'teenagers' that came on cost United £19 million and the other two are youth internationals. United also have the finances to afford backup players in every position that are good enough to start. It's not really the same situation as us.

Oh Jesus...but if you are going to argue that then you have to accept it’s all reletive to who they are up against too surely?

Oh Jesus...but if you are going to argue that then you have to accept it’s all reletive to who they are up against too surely?
Not really, United have the finances to afford 3 teams of players if they wanted to. We can't afford to do that.

If we tried to make a second eleven that's as strong as the first eleven then we'd have to make cutbacks to the wages of the first choice team, which would mean attracting lower quality players and hence even a fully fit squad would be fighting for midtable at best. Pretty much all clubs at this level with promotion ambitions (except maybe the top 4) have to go for cheap backups that will be able to cope alongside the regular players but won't be able to cut it if they have to play alongside all the other backups because it's the only way to afford a promotion push. United can sign quality players as backups without having to make any sacrifices on the first choice players because they are rich, we can't.

As has also been pointed out positivity is a bit of a stretch, United had 27% possession and largely won because PSG gifted United two pathetic goals and conceded a penalty that was harsh (although under the current rules it actually is the correct call but VAR means they get picked up on a lot more than they used to, which is why clearer penalty rules are coming in from next season).

Surely this is simply more evidence of tactical work and a game plan? Of course quite often for that to come in any sport you need some good fortune and some decisions to go your way, but I don’t believe in pure and simple luck.

Surely this is simply more evidence of tactical work and a game plan? Of course quite often for that to come in any sport you need some good fortune and some decisions to go your way, but I don’t believe in pure and simple luck.
It's tactical work for PSG to literally pass it to Lukaku in the second minute and then for a soft penalty to be awarded in the last minute of the game? Luck is definitely part of football.

Not really, United have the finances to afford 3 teams of players if they wanted to. We can't afford to do that.

If we tried to make a second eleven that's as strong as the first eleven then we'd have to make cutbacks to the wages of the first choice team, which would mean attracting lower quality players and hence even a fully fit squad would be fighting for midtable at best. Pretty much all clubs at this level with promotion ambitions (except maybe the top 4) have to go for cheap backups that will be able to cope alongside the regular players but won't be able to cut it if they have to play alongside all the other backups because it's the only way to afford a promotion push. United can sign quality players as backups without having to make any sacrifices on the first choice players because they are rich, we can't.

What the hell has that got to do with my point?

Whatever you can say about Man United it’s relevant and also applies to their opponents....that’s their level......

I realise it’s not ours but that also means it’s relative because it’s also not applicable to our opponents or our level either

It's tactical work for PSG to literally pass it to Lukaku in the second minute and then for a soft penalty to be awarded in the last minute of the game? Luck is definitely part of football.

Ignorant in the extreme to suggest they just “passed it back to Lukaku” without accepting the work that went into an organised press and setting a trap for teams to play into.

So in short Man Utd got lucky and Chris Powell gets unlucky. Gotcha

What the hell has that got to do with my point?

Whatever you can say about Man United it’s relevant and also applies to their opponents....that’s their level......

I realise it’s not ours but that also means it’s relative because it’s also not applicable to our opponents or our level either
This is my last comment because this will go on forever otherwise but the point is at an elite level you can afford quality backups, at League One level you can't. Therefore relatively it is not the same because the relative quality gap between United's second choice side and their first choice side is much smaller than the relative quality gap between Southend's first choice side and our second choice side.

This is my last comment because this will go on forever otherwise but the point is at an elite level you can afford quality backups, at League One level you can't. Therefore relatively it is not the same because the relative quality gap between United's second choice side and their first choice side is much smaller than the relative quality gap between Southend's first choice side and our second choice side.

But that has nothing to do with anything I’ve said!!! You are off on a tangent and it has no bearing to any point I was making!

If it makes you feel better I agree that Man U can afford a bigger squad than us ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️??‍♂️

The XI who started for United, had a value of about £250m (minimum)

Also, those teenagers had experienced, international players alongside them, to support them.

Southend’s plight is completely different. You can’t compare apples with oranges

Also, those teenagers had experienced, international players alongside them, to support them.

Southend’s plight is completely different. You can’t compare apples with oranges

We'll be ok next week they'll have Cox and Dem ?

Manchester United were playing in an elite level Champions League game with 10 first team players injured. The comparison is completely relative to ours but the manager just hasn't bitched about it

Ah at last...at least @Ayrshire Blue gets the point I’m making....

The relativity is between the side Man U had to put out with 10 players missing and using kids against a team of the level of PSG compared with our plight against the likes of Accrington and Scunthorpe!!

It’s entirely relative. We have griped about it and used it as an excuse.....which is entirely valid....however it was raised that Man U staff and players made no reference to it and went about their business as best they could with a game plan consistent with their abilities.

It’s apples and oranges comparing Man U to Southend but it’s apples to apples comparing Man Us plight v PSG with Southend’s v Accrington.

Back