• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is the current injury situation?

I know he's one of our own but Bishop clearly isn't the finished article, he has the potential to be better than Oxley one day but Oxley is the better player at the moment.

I'm not suggesting Oxley isn't the better keeper, but he hasn't played a game of football in months so should not be thrown straight in

Btw now that Oxley and JW are back how many first teamers are still injured.

I count 4 (if you include Barrett); Hopper, Humphrys and Coker.

I'm not suggesting Oxley isn't the better keeper, but he hasn't played a game of football in months so should not be thrown straight in
I’m certainly not criticising young Bishop in any way,he looks like an excellent future prospect,but if one does get thrown straight in,its much more likely to be him doing it rather than Oxley.
Unlike other positions,nearly all keepers get better and better with age and experience,not reaching their peak until well past 30.I wouldn’t go as far as 40-Buffon!-but a very obvious example for all to see is Ben Foster who is now the best English keeper by some considerable distance.

And how many, as you alluded to with regards to Oxley in your previous post, are having to be thrown in when they've been out for months because some of the others are desperately in need of a rest?

Shouldn’t the question be how many are fully fit, particularly in light of your first post?

Question marks over how match fit Oxley, Demetriou, Kiernan, Lennon, Hyam and Bunn are.

They are effectively half way through pre-season training.

And how many, as you alluded to with regards to Oxley in your previous post, are having to be thrown in when they've been out for months because some of the others are desperately in need of a rest?

So on one hand, people are suggesting we're in our position because we keep chopping and changing the side, yet now people are suggesting we should chop and change to rest players!!!

Who exactly needs resting, that has been dropped?

All I've seen CP do, is keep dropping youngsters whilst leaving badly out of form players in the side.

Shouldn’t the question be how many are fully fit, particularly in light of your first post?

Question marks over how match fit Oxley, Demetriou, Kiernan, Lennon, Hyam and Bunn are.

They are effectively half way through pre-season training.

If that was the case, why are they starting then?

Hendrie, Kyprianou and Gard have also appeared in the first team.

I wouldn't class Gard as a first teamer - Hendrie was only in the side due to Coker's (and potentially JD's) injury.

Forgot about Kyps

Probably because the alternative is to play players out of position, or kids who are not really ready yet.

I for one don't want to see fans get on the back of the likes of Elvis, Klass or Bishop. All three have been at fault for goals going in against us lately. They need time to develop and mature properly which means not throwing them in to high pressure situations time and time again. I admit however that Bishop has shown he is good enough for this level. But it can't be denied that the third goal on Tuesday was at least partially down to him.

I actually agree with you on Bishop. I think he should start on Saturday, not Oxley.

If that was the case, why are they starting then?

Because the likes of John White, Michael Turner and Michael Kightly aren’t fully fit either.

We actually played well for 45 minutes against Scunthorpe but faded badly second half.

Did the gamble work? No, but did playing without them work either?

Because the likes of John White, Michael Turner and Michael Kightly aren’t fully fit either.

We actually played well for 45 minutes against Scunthorpe but faded badly second half.

Did the gamble work? No, but did playing without them work either?

Bunn, Demetriou and Hyam did not need to start on Tuesday; we had players who were fit that could (and should) have started ahead of them.

I certainly wouldn't claim Turner isn't fully fit; he's not been injured and played the last 2 games, so no-one came in for him.

Turner's issue is his age. It's not really ideal to be putting in a 35-year-old for three games a week. Just like Kightly, he has to be managed. This has been another obstacle in the way of Powell this year. That said, it was he who offered Turner a new contract.

SOUTHEND United winger Stephen McLaughlin will be missing 'for a number of weeks' after suffering a calf problem in Saturday's 1-0 defeat to AFC Wimbledon.

More...

I thought he was one of our best players on Saturday. His “miss” on Saturday wasn’t remotely as bad as some on here have implied. Blaming him is not scoring on sat is ridiculous imo

I'm not blaming him for not scoring on Saturday, I'm blaming him as a senior pro for going missing in most of the games he's played in

I'm not blaming him for not scoring on Saturday, I'm blaming him as a senior pro for going missing in most of the games he's played in

To be fair, he's had his worst ever season with us. Such a good player on his day, but not done it enough this season. Used to be a goal threat, but most shots are going miles wide or tamely at the keeper.

I hope Coxy is OK - says he will play but probably have to strap up his ankle, may mean he doesn't do 90 mins but hopefully we are 3-0 up by then !

Back