• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is wrong with some of our fans?

Why do some of our ‘fans’ spend their lives bashing our homegrown youngsters coming through? Just seen a post on Facebook saying Harry Seaden is available for Saturday and there are comments saying ‘not Seaden, worst keeper in years’ (a couple others following a similar suit).

How is this helpful in any way, why can’t you keep these comments to your self. I know for a fact the boys often see these comments, so we are sending out young lads who are seeing these comments and expecting them to perform sigh confidence.

It’s often people far older than these lads who are 19,20,21 trying to live out their dream of being a professional footballer and they constantly see messages of our ‘fans’ bashing them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculously counter-productive and these comments only set the boys up to make mistakes due to a lack of confidence and nerves.

Sadly I think it's a sign of social media times that anyone can say anything with very little comeback as platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram allow some pretty hateful stuff. With regard to comments on Harry Seaden, I absolutely agree that some of our supporters just get their kicks posting abusive stuff, Acquah and the lad from QPR took some appalling posts which must have shattered their confidence to bits. On the plus side, there are loads of genuine fans of the Club that wouldn't dream of posting abusive stuff, the trouble is that most don't take the time to call out those that like inflicting the sort of thing you mention. I would insist that the younger Club players stay well clear of those platforms, but at that age the youngsters will ignore good advice, it comes with the territory of being young.

4 years of ****e, non league and a global pandemic havent helped.

Difference nowadays is people can sit comfortably at their keyboards and slag off the players all day as opposed to just 90 mins in public on a saturday.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with our fans, as evidenced by the crowds that follow this poor excuse for a team home and away. Considering the **** they have had to put up with during the last few years, I think they have been astonishingly fair with both the management and the players.

There's nothing wrong with our fans, as evidenced by the crowds that follow this poor excuse for a team home and away. Considering the **** they have had to put up with during the last few years, I think they have been astonishingly fair with both the management and the players.
emphasis on *some* - if you think some of the behaviour seen online towards some of our local young lads, then you ought to give your head a wobble.

Justified criticism in a fair and respectful way is fine, abuse or outright nonsense as some seem to find appropriate is neither fair nor constructive.

It’s not our fans. It’s society. There is always going to be a small percentage on idiots no matter what the cause. Social media exacerbates it as people are more willing to give abuse behind a keyboard than face to face, and that abuse can be more widespread. And so on and so forth.

Yeah, vile language directed at players rather than criticism of their game has become a problem for our times, because on social media - everyone sees it.

But it aint going away.

Therefore, Seadon and others just have to leave social media alone as advised to his players by Scott Parker, who has no accounts on any platform.

It's bad it's come to this, but there is no current answer apart from a very thick skin.

Things like this are literally the reason why poor teddy smith turned his back on the game.
Lovely kid he was. Gave my youngest a pair of signed gloves without even asking or anything. That’s what it should be about. Treat people nice and they treat you nice. It’s really hard for people that think this way to get their head around small minded hate

In fairness is sooner play the likes of Kinalli than Dunne and Ogogo, youth did us proud in league one under Campbell

In fairness is sooner play the likes of Kinalli than Dunne and Ogogo, youth did us proud in league one under Campbell

4 wins all season I believe. I'd like to see Kinali get a chance but that season was the worst, statistically, in our entire history so I am not sure that narrative that the kids did us proud is wholly accurate.

Most realise the current management and playing staff did not get us to where we are today. I do think we have decent fans on the whole but reading some of the threads on here over the past few days has been painful.

Why do some of our ‘fans’ spend their lives bashing our homegrown youngsters coming through? Just seen a post on Facebook saying Harry Seaden is available for Saturday and there are comments saying ‘not Seaden, worst keeper in years’ (a couple others following a similar suit).

How is this helpful in any way, why can’t you keep these comments to your self. I know for a fact the boys often see these comments, so we are sending out young lads who are seeing these comments and expecting them to perform sigh confidence.

It’s often people far older than these lads who are 19,20,21 trying to live out their dream of being a professional footballer and they constantly see messages of our ‘fans’ bashing them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculously counter-productive and these comments only set the boys up to make mistakes due to a lack of confidence and nerves.
You are certainly not the only one who thinks these kind of comments are counter productive. I am also very concerned about this problem. It is not only confined to social media. I don't often go to SUFC games but the atmosphere at Roots Hall is certainly getting worse and I made the mistake of going away to the Dagenham game where I thought the levels of abuse being directed at Seadon and Egbri were completely unacceptable. This was coming from fans who were older and who you would hope would know better.

I am in my 70s and things which would have motivated me as a lad just do not work on the youth of today. We can debate whether that is a good or bad thing, but we have to accept that he world has changed and this is the way things are. Stan Collymore, in one of his lengthy early posts, explained this problem with much more eloquence than I possibly could.

I'm not sure if there is a solution to the problem. Threads like this may help to make people think. We must also remember the sad story of Ted Smith, who decided to bring his promising career to a premature end because of this problem.

Sadly I think it's a sign of social media times that anyone can say anything with very little comeback as platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram allow some pretty hateful stuff. With regard to comments on Harry Seaden, I absolutely agree that some of our supporters just get their kicks posting abusive stuff, Acquah and the lad from QPR took some appalling posts which must have shattered their confidence to bits. On the plus side, there are loads of genuine fans of the Club that wouldn't dream of posting abusive stuff, the trouble is that most don't take the time to call out those that like inflicting the sort of thing you mention. I would insist that the younger Club players stay well clear of those platforms, but at that age the youngsters will ignore good advice, it comes with the territory of being young.
The club, the coaches, us older fans(who like to think we are wiser) can insist as much as we like but it won't keep young people away from social media. Even if it were possible, they would have friends and families who would read this abuse. I have 3 teen aged grandsons, and I can promise you that this is the case.

Life has changed, the way we interact with others has changed. In days gone by, we interacted with friends only face to face. This sometimes led to punch ups of course. Now however, any issues or disagreements are posted online for almost everyone to see. We must accept this and try to find ways to deal with the worst aspects of social media.

Social media is an essential part of the lives of young people today and I don't think it will go away any time soon.

I unfollowed all SUFC related groups / pages / accounts on social media because of this. Disgusting comments were far too prevalent.

The club, the coaches, us older fans(who like to think we are wiser) can insist as much as we like but it won't keep young people away from social media. Even if it were possible, they would have friends and families who would read this abuse. I have 3 teen aged grandsons, and I can promise you that this is the case.

Life has changed, the way we interact with others has changed. In days gone by, we interacted with friends only face to face. This sometimes led to punch ups of course. Now however, any issues or disagreements are posted online for almost everyone to see. We must accept this and try to find ways to deal with the worst aspects of social media.

Social media is an essential part of the lives of young people today and I don't think it will go away any time soon.
Social media might not go away but I’m sensing a sea change. I already have to tread eggshells in my work communications which causes a lot of difficulty for an old fart like me but transgression results in disciplinary action. If the likes of Facebook, Twitter etc won’t police their users then at some stage they will be policed.

People need to be re-educated, some the hard way, in understanding that social media is actually no different from real life. In its simplest form that means for anything you post would you be prepared to say that face to face at the risk of either a) a defamation, libel case or similar b) a prosecution for racist, sexist, homophobic etc remarks c) a fat lip from the recipient.

As per above I really struggle at times with the above but I’m trying. To any of those saying don’t be a pussy look at the amount of kids struggling with abuse through social media. Sure we had playground bullying but this seems to me to be on an altogether different scale.

Dagenham away…that’s all I’ll say. Sure Seaden made a couple of errors but a large part of the fans that day tore into him. Embarrassing.

Back