• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is wrong with some of our fans?

Social media might not go away but I’m sensing a sea change. I already have to tread eggshells in my work communications which causes a lot of difficulty for an old fart like me but transgression results in disciplinary action. If the likes of Facebook, Twitter etc won’t police their users then at some stage they will be policed.

People need to be re-educated, some the hard way, in understanding that social media is actually no different from real life. In its simplest form that means for anything you post would you be prepared to say that face to face at the risk of either a) a defamation, libel case or similar b) a prosecution for racist, sexist, homophobic etc remarks c) a fat lip from the recipient.

As per above I really struggle at times with the above but I’m trying. To any of those saying don’t be a pussy look at the amount of kids struggling with abuse through social media. Sure we had playground bullying but this seems to me to be on an altogether different scale.
A public awareness campaign could be useful.

I'm thinking of the old "think before you drink and drive slogan"
This could be adapted to "think twice before you post once"

Lets face it, 90% of these ****s would vanish if we were playing good football and challenging for promotion.

Ive heard some abysmal things said at the hall over the years, but it is the nature of it, and if you want to be in the public eye in a performance related industry then you have to either take it on the chin, with a pinch of salt, or ignore it.

Facebook and twitter should clamp down though massively, imo theres an enormous difference between saying a player is **** at football and going after there families and the other horrible stuff the keyboard warriors dig out.

Why do some of our ‘fans’ spend their lives bashing our homegrown youngsters coming through? Just seen a post on Facebook saying Harry Seaden is available for Saturday and there are comments saying ‘not Seaden, worst keeper in years’ (a couple others following a similar suit).

How is this helpful in any way, why can’t you keep these comments to your self. I know for a fact the boys often see these comments, so we are sending out young lads who are seeing these comments and expecting them to perform sigh confidence.

It’s often people far older than these lads who are 19,20,21 trying to live out their dream of being a professional footballer and they constantly see messages of our ‘fans’ bashing them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculously counter-productive and these comments only set the boys up to make mistakes due to a lack of confidence and nerves.
Its not our fans , its football fans generally. Football attracts people who are low achievers, poorly educated doing low paid menial jobs for whom football with its cultivated frenzy stoked by the media provides them with something to get excited about., and help them forget their dreary lives.
Social media provides these people with the ability to rage about things they are incapable of doing themselves, have no knowledge of and safely hind behind fgake identities. They use it to give themselves and false sense of importance knowing they will never meet the people they post to, don't have to expalin or justify what they say as they are too thick or afraid to do it.
They are the Underclass https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underclass

4 wins all season I believe. I'd like to see Kinali get a chance but that season was the worst, statistically, in our entire history so I am not sure that narrative that the kids did us proud is wholly accurate.
I take it that you didn't watch the games under Sol and the improvement in the games before the season was curtailed? Was it the Bristol Rovers game where Egbri scored the winner? If we would have kept that team and management structure things would have been completely different with the youngsters improving all the time.

There is a distinction. "Our fans" as a group are fantastic in their support through thick and thin. Fantastic.

However, this does not mean that then the very small, and often vocal, number fans that are sometimes far from that should hide behind the vast majority, and say and do as they like (often sat at a keyboard).

Often if there is even a hint that fans are being blamed for anything there is uproar, but in reality the above applies. And to repeat as a group "our fans" are a fantastic, passionate and loyal following.

Lovely kid he was. Gave my youngest a pair of signed gloves without even asking or anything. That’s what it should be about. Treat people nice and they treat you nice. It’s really hard for people that think this way to get their head around small minded hate
Hmm...
I think personal abuse is to be deplored: 'is that the same as small-minded hate'?
If so, I'm out too.
Nice kid he may be, but good keeper he is not - not yet anyway.
I'm glad he's nice, but if he's in goal for any length of time, the results will be anything but nice.
The hope is that criticism doesn't spill over into vile abuse.
For some of the more challenged, that's an ask.

drunk old men abusing fit young athletes... laughable

obese indoor ridden keyboard warriors abusing fit young professional footballers .. tragic.

all the time spent playing computer games (fifa et al) instead of going down the park and playing the game with your mates - double tragic...

I blame the CBA parents ...

I take it that you didn't watch the games under Sol and the improvement in the games before the season was curtailed? Was it the Bristol Rovers game where Egbri scored the winner? If we would have kept that team and management structure things would have been completely different with the youngsters improving all the time.

amazing and sensible post...

I did watch those games and I thought they did well particularly in the Lincoln game (Bristol Rovers were utterly abysmal but it was an enjoyable afternoon and Kinali put in a particularly good cross for the winner). However, between the Lincoln and Bristol Rovers games we lost 6 in a row.

We were of course already effectively relegated then, so playing with no pressure, I think it's a different kettle of fish now. Unfortunately I've seen nothing in Egbri or Phillips (two of the stand-outs back then) in their numerous games this season to show me they are good enough at this level.

Back on topic though, just because I don't consider them good enough (others do, that's fine), doesn't mean I'm going to dig them out or abuse/ slag them off on Twitter.

I did watch those games and I thought they did well particularly in the Lincoln game (Bristol Rovers were utterly abysmal but it was an enjoyable afternoon and Kinali put in a particularly good cross for the winner). However, between the Lincoln and Bristol Rovers games we lost 6 in a row.

We were of course already effectively relegated then, so playing with no pressure, I think it's a different kettle of fish now. Unfortunately I've seen nothing in Egbri or Phillips (two of the stand-outs back then) in their numerous games this season to show me they are good enough at this level.

Back on topic though, just because I don't consider them good enough (others do, that's fine), doesn't mean I'm going to dig them out or abuse/ slag them off on Twitter.
Same could be said about the team performing against Maidenhead recently? Bottom of the National League? Kinali hasn't had any first team minutes, that don't mean he couldn't compete adequately at this level. Not the only player in this boat.

Same could be said about the team performing against Maidenhead recently? Bottom of the National League? Kinali hasn't had any first team minutes, that don't mean he couldn't compete adequately at this level. Not the only player in this boat.
As I said earlier, I'd like to see Kinali get some minutes.

It's the romanticising of the U23s in general that annoys me. One of the worst tropes in football is "give the youth a chance they can't be any worse" because they can and we have seen it with our own eyes very very recently.

If Maher thinks they're good enough, they'll go in. We saw that with Gard.

It's the romanticising of the U23s in general that annoys me. One of the worst tropes in football is "give the youth a chance they can't be any worse" because they can and we have seen it with our own eyes very very recently.

Yeah I'm talking about the players playing regularly.. being good enough. Hey bridge swifts straight into starting line up is impressive if not magical, let's see if Gard stands up to the test of time. Howard, Phillip's, Ebgri, now Walsh.. faded. Maybe Gard will be the exception. Btw when we pass up competing in the FA Trophy this week.. can only see stagnation continuing. Also for balance, the older players hardly hit all the right notes under Brown did they?

Totally agree, although its part romanticising, part desperation and frustration....

1. if anyone in our youth team was ready for the first team one of the last 3 managers would have put them in.

2. If they were REALLY good, they would move to a bigger club

3. If they werent quite ready bit had bags of potential they'd be off to a prem club.

Makes you wonder what the point is a bit...

That or our players would be posting cryptic haikus and pictures of themselves wearing Fedora hats on Instagram.

drunk old men abusing fit young athletes... laughable

obese indoor ridden keyboard warriors abusing fit young professional footballers .. tragic.

all the time spent playing computer games (fifa et al) instead of going down the park and playing the game with your mates - double tragic...

I blame the CBA parents ...

I think you need to go easy with your insults, that's extremely opinionated.

Last edited:
Totally agree, although its part romanticising, part desperation and frustration....

1. if anyone in our youth team was ready for the first team one of the last 3 managers would have put them in.

2. If they were REALLY good, they would move to a bigger club

3. If they werent quite ready bit had bags of potential they'd be off to a prem club.

Makes you wonder what the point is a bit...
Yeah I'm with this. I'm not sure any of our youth are really good enough to be in the first team. They got spun 3 zip by Coggleshall in the week and they are Ryman North.

We certainly saw some improvement under Sol but some context for the Bristol Rovers game: that was at the end of a run of 9 points in 18 matches for Rovers and they finished bottom the following season.

Why do some of our ‘fans’ spend their lives bashing our homegrown youngsters coming through? Just seen a post on Facebook saying Harry Seaden is available for Saturday and there are comments saying ‘not Seaden, worst keeper in years’ (a couple others following a similar suit).

How is this helpful in any way, why can’t you keep these comments to your self. I know for a fact the boys often see these comments, so we are sending out young lads who are seeing these comments and expecting them to perform sigh confidence.

It’s often people far older than these lads who are 19,20,21 trying to live out their dream of being a professional footballer and they constantly see messages of our ‘fans’ bashing them.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculously counter-productive and these comments only set the boys up to make mistakes due to a lack of confidence and nerves.
I'm not personally one for publically bashing any player. but I will be honest if I don't think a player is ready yet.

And Seaden just isn't ready yet but I'm also pleased he's available for Saturday.

I just won't be as pleased if he is in goal for our next league game.

Back