• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What job did you want...

Alexis_SUFC

Members
...when you were younger? and what do you now?

I was just wondering how many people get to do the job that they always dreamed they wanted and if so is it better/worse than you thought.

I've always wanted to be involved in sport, obviously I'm not good enough to go pro in anything so I thought coaching or being a PE teacher would be good. However after starting a sports coach at uni I'm not too sure about this.

What about everyone else?

When I was about 4 I wanted to be a train driver. :p
By the time I'd reached my teens I wanted to work in the IT industry, typically of me I wasn't sure what exact job I wanted to do though.

I'm a support analyst for a software company now.

I never really knew what i wanted to do when i was younger, but was sort of pushed towards Banking as its what my sister was doing (no dirty puns please :o ) ...

I'm now a machine spares buyer / stores manager for MK Electric

Not the best job, but i'm pretty much left to my own devices and it keeps me in beer fags and football so i shouldn't complain too loudly

When I did my work experience in 1987 I fancied trying my luck as an air traffic controller.

Instead I spent two delightful weeks photocopying invoices and watching people make Ford Sierra bumpers at ecko plastics.

I am now a software developer for Reuters where I work on an FX transactions platform.

I wanted to be a football writer from the age of 8. I used to watch the Sunday games on ITV and then write match reports for my classmates detailing the exploits of John Barnes, Ian Rush and, curiously, Steve McMahon who I always really, really rated.

Thankfully, one way or another, it worked out. Had to kill a few people to get here though and that's never pleasant. Let's hope no-one ever demolishes The Emirates Stadium, eh? Ha ha! Erm....

*skips the country*

Fire Fighter and I am one, but also Pilot and I hope to do my Private Pilots Licence over the next few years.

I desperately wanted to be a Pilot, but then I realised there was all sorts of hard work involved in getting qualified.

Instead I went to work in the City. Been involved in Money Broking or Bond Broking up here for around 21 years and I've only just realised how depressing that sounds! Gone quick though.

I was going to add a second barrell to my surname and fly a Harrier Jump-Jet in the Royal Air Force, before looking to become a barrister/writer/footballer, but now run a business-skills training company (training other failed ex-wannabe pilot-barristers)...

Last edited:
Wanted to be a Teacher and started training at King Alfred's in Winchester, but decided that kids are little ****ers.

So I went into the Finance Industry and I was working for an Investment Bank until they refused to renew my contract due to having an IVA. So now sitting on my backside looking for jobs and wishing I had actually finished my teaching degree!

Forestry for me..Big Land rover.. chain sawing acres of trees.. Making Towering Enferno sized bonfires.. out in all weathers.. Unfortuanatly the miniscule pay check and the obvious notion that it was all a romantic fantasy and was all splinters and Mossys I decided to head for the street of gold in the Big Smoke, to make my fortune when Mad Cyrils crappy platform works !! ;-)

Wanted to be a Pro Footballer since I could walk and was pretty good when I was young, played to a good standard at that age but nothing ever realised.
Now i'm doing a Sports Journalism course at Uni and have to say... I don't want to work anywhere near Print Journalism on a full time basis.

When I finish Uni i'm off to the US of A for 18 months football coaching... Hopefully in LA and then i'll be looking to work in Sport Media or become a Media officer for a Football Club. So, look out Scriven.

No idea what I wanted to be when I was a kid, still no idea what I want to be now though I could handle running a bar/bistro somewhere warm and sunny.

Always wanted to be a air hostess. Unfortunatly I ended up as a air head! Joking aside I love the job I do and could not want for anything better

Always wanted to be a air hostess. Unfortunatly I ended up as a air head! Joking aside I love the job I do and could not want for anything better

What job do you do??

You should become an air hostess its not hard to get a job Ryanair employ all those Polish girls and they are shocking (no offence) but surely you are better than them.

Have been a nurse for several years and now am a nurse practioner. Ok the pay isn't great but the people I care for are and I have a great deal of job satisfaction

Back