• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
View GalleryA RUN-DOWN on Leeds United's opponents tonight

The Gaffer
Steve Tilson. Tilson steered the Shrimpers from League Two to the Championship in two seasons, but they have not recovered quickly from their relegation last season. Tilson was forced to part with striker Freddy Eastwood and is making do with a small and inexpensive squad at Roots Hall. But he has made the most of the chance given to him in 2004 and the board appear to have plenty of faith in their former reserve-team coach, who is three wins away from his 100th victory as manager of the Essex club.

The Danger
Southend's top scorer is Leon Clarke, which sums up the problems facing Tilson. Clarke scored eight goals in 16 games while on loan but has now returned to his parent club Sheffield Wednesday, and Southend are without a reliable outlet up front. The pressure on Leeds is therefore likely to come from midfield, where Mark Gower is once again enjoying a productive season. The former Tottenham trainee has found the net on seven occasions and scored against United when the Whites visited Roots Hall last term.

The Form
Southend are hanging on to the coat tails of the teams inside the play-off zone, but they are seven points behind sixth place and cannot afford to drift further away. Seven defeats away from home and five at Roots Hall have prevented the club from discovering any momentum and a sequence of one win from eight league matches has wrecked Southend's promising start. Their run to the FA Cup fourth round was ended on Friday night by a 1-0 defeat to Barnsley.

The Record
After waiting more than 80 years for their first competitive meeting, Southend and Leeds will square off tonight for the fifth time in 15 months. The Shrimpers won their first clash in a Carling Cup tie at Elland Road in 2006, but United have enjoyed better fortunes since. They took four points from two league clashes last season and Southend were hammered 4-1 when at Elland Road in August. A win this evening would be Leeds' first against the Shrimpers in Essex.

The Odds
United have been made 5-4 favourites by William Hill, with Southend slightly more generous at 7-4. The draw is priced at 11-5.

The Whistler
Keith Stroud. Stroud represents the latest in a long line of Select Group officials who have been allocated to fixtures involving Leeds, and he has already refereed their visits to Bristol Rovers and Walsall. His 23 appointments this term have produced 83 bookings and four red cards.

Stroud represents the latest in a long line of Select Group officials who have been allocated to fixtures involving Leeds.

Surely the Football League should be accountable to provide answers as to why this is allowed to happen?

I think Forest were given similar priviliges in their first year in L1.

Surely the Football League should be accountable to provide answers as to why this is allowed to happen?

I think Forest were given similar priviliges in their first year in L1.

What's all this select group of referees business about?

They are the more experienced, more highly thought of refs, who do the PL, the CCC and FA Cup matches for example!

So another fine example of the special little love-in between the FA and Leeds, following the points deduction which should have been 4 times bigger?

Exactly.
I hate the mugs so much.
Maybe even more than Orient.
6 points total tonight & Saturday please.....

I can't stand them. Then again, I can't really stand any team from Yorkshire.....sorry Yorkshire Blue! Leeds, Barnsley, Hull, Doncaster.....seems to be a recurring theme with me!

They are the more experienced, more highly thought of refs, who do the PL, the CCC and FA Cup matches for example!

Given the attitude of some SG referees when they drop down to Football League matches, you could argue that this "favouritism" is not really that welcome. Seemed to all start when Wise reported referee Danny McDermid to the FA, after the Gillingham match, for using foul and abusive language towards him. (D. McD is at Orient on Saturday but more about that later.)

I know, but I didn't want to offend him and his adopted county :rolleyes:

Ha ha, no offense taken, apart from anything else I only lived there 5 years and have been away from there longer than that. I should update my username but london blue has already got in first with my current location. No-one has ever apologised for slagging off London either, when one of the many ill-informed rants against East London is launched! My county is, and will always remain Essex.

I've got no time for any of the clubs you mentioned, but there are some decent Yorkshire clubs who we use to play regularly, now languishing in non-league - like Halifax and York.

Ha ha, no offense taken, apart from anything else I only lived there 5 years and have been away from there longer than that. I should update my username but london blue has already got in first with my current location. No-one has ever apologised for slagging off London either, when one of the many ill-informed rants against East London is launched! My county is, and will always remain Essex.

Yeah but you don't just reside in London do you?
Why not rename yourself after your borough, district or even nearest tube station?

Oh & keep the ill-informed rants coming, there haven't been enough lately! :p

I've got no time for any of the clubs you mentioned, but there are some decent Yorkshire clubs who we use to play regularly, now languishing in non-league - like Halifax and York.

York are a definite exception, especially as, as a city, York is a beautiful place. How it can be in the same county as sh*tholes like Hull, Doncaster and Barnsley, I just don't know!

It's not, Hull is part of Humberside & Donny & Barnsley are in South Yorkshire :D

Actually, Humberside isn't a county is it? I think Kingston-upon-Hull is, like Southend, a unitary authority, and it's ceremonial county is East Riding of Yorkshire.

All Yorkshire to me :minger:

York are a definite exception, especially as, as a city, York is a beautiful place. How it can be in the same county as sh*tholes like Hull, Doncaster and Barnsley, I just don't know!

York is far less beautiful when its grey and drizzling as it for 90% of the year. Its still Northern, although not as "Northern" as somewhere like 'Ull or Barnsley, despite its geographical position. I believe this is because it is closer to civilisation (eg London and the South) by transport links than somewhere like 'Ull or Barnsley, but that doesn't explain Donny.

Leeds isn't actually a bad place, in that it has a decent night life and a bit of culture, but ultimately it is still Northern.

York is far less beautiful when its grey and drizzling as it for 90% of the year. Its still Northern, although not as "Northern" as somewhere like 'Ull or Barnsley, despite its geographical position. I believe this is because it is closer to civilisation (eg London and the South) by transport links than somewhere like 'Ull or Barnsley, but that doesn't explain Donny.

Leeds isn't actually a bad place, in that it has a decent night life and a bit of culture, but ultimately it is still Northern.

I'd say that about Sheffield too, in the main!

Anywhere urbanised in any part of Yorkshire is pretty drab and uninspiring. I agree York is an exception, but in defence of the counties, I must say they have some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK. We have rellys living in Wensleydale (yes, I know - here come a glut of W&G comments!) and the Dales are honestly wonderful to visit to recharge your batteries.

Back