• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What Makes You Proud To Be English?

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Nice and simple this one. What makes you proud to be English. Is it music? Literature? Ant and Dec?

For me, it's our long and glorious history of dissent. Since the dawn of time, we've had the courage to stick it to The Man. All the way back to Chaucer and beyond, we've refused to take any **** without whinging about it first.

Look at World War Two. Everyone else in Europe was squashed by Hitler's forces, but did we give up and seek out a quiet life? Not a chance. In the face of almost certain annihilation, we stuck two fingers up and dared that silly-tashed ******* to do his worst. We're a nation of utter arseholes and I ****ing love it.

Our tolerance, our stiff upper lip, our language, our self-deprecating ability not to take ourselves too seriously and our sense of humour.

These, above all things, are what make me proud to be British (and English).

Our ability to propel plastic chairs further than any other nation at international footballing events.

Our loose libel laws that make us the perfect country for a spot of libel tourism.

That, and the thousand years of expansive history that make us the envy of the World.

That we deplore social devil may care people in public yet wish we could be them in private ;) .That and the long history , literature commerce art ,science . And that Wales is next door (or i wouldnt be here :D)

Our (pop) musical history. Lonnie Donegan, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Slade, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Jam, The Smiths, Joy Division, Echo & The Bunnymen, New Order, Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses, Oasis, James, Blur.....etc etc.......etc.

Our (pop) musical history. Lonnie Donegan,

Strange you should mention this man I was listening to a lot of skiffle and 50's stuff the other night.

Was also watching '6 5 special' on youtube, well worth a look if you're bored.

Would green you for that post but need to spread it around first again.

Last edited:
Our love of tradition eg repeating this question once every year, along with the bit about St George also being the patron saint of Catalonia, Georgia, Turkey etc

Your always so inflamatory YB....:whistling:

Can you not let us proud Englishmen have our day once every 365/366.

I'm proud to be English and the culinary point I'm most proud of is the huge variety of cuisines available in England. English cuisine (our cooked breakfast aside) is nothing to write home about but our choice of restaurants are. With the possible exception of New York, we have the best choice of cuisines in the world. I'm going to celebrate that on St George's Day and any other day I want to.

There is the Australian open , the Spanish Open, etc as well as the French Football association , etc etc.

Not us, its The Open, The FA , The FA Cup Final, because we thought of them first !!!

Back