• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 10 2005,12:25)]My only slight criticism is a lack of communication between him and Barrett. Barrett should have been told to put the ball in the stands, instead of letting it bounce, but we got away with it.
If it's the same incident that I'm thinking of where Barrett left it and then suddenly hurried, that was all made between Barrett and Edwards.  There was no way that ball was going through to the keeper and I doubt it even crossed Flav's mind.

But Barrett then took control of the situation and dealt with it for which he should be commended.  Thought all of the defensive 5 looked quality and seem to be improving with every game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 10 2005,12:46)]Thought all the back 5 - most of all Lewis Hunt - had a great game yesterday.  Have to say, Cheese looked particularly accomplished... top effort from the lad.
Note to self...Must read all posts before replying!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Oct. 09 2005,21:26)]Gutts impressive
So you're not going to campaign for him to be dropped this week then?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Oct. 09 2005,21:26)]Not being funny but thought Flavs had a quiet game with not much to do
The point is Wiggy, that Flahavan did several things that he doesn't normally do and he did them well. For instance, he came for 3 or 4 crosses, punched a couple, caught a couple. His positioning and hands were excellent, his distribution was swift, in fact he was absolutely on top of his game.

Your comment goes to show that you only notice Flavs when he makes diving saves, and don't pick up the other work that keepers should do automatically. Hoult, for instance, patrolled the area about 8/9 yards out when we had a free kick. Consequently he caught some about 12/13 yards out. That stopped the danger before it even started. Flavs cannot do that because he is not 6'5" tall; sometimes therefore the attackers get shots or headers in that Flavs is forced to save. So which is the better option? Prevention of the shot in th first place or reacting to the shot with (hopefully) a save? I'd take prevention any time, yet this makes the keepers job look too easy and he doesn't get noticed.

Flavs did this yesterday and for me was one of the men of the match. Top class performance yesterday.

Goalkeeping is not just about making spectacular saves in the same way that goalscoring is not just about scoring spectacular goals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Oct. 10 2005,18:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 10 2005,12:25)]My only slight criticism is a lack of communication between him and Barrett. Barrett should have been told to put the ball in the stands, instead of letting it bounce, but we got away with it.
If it's the same incident that I'm thinking of where Barrett left it and then suddenly hurried, that was all made between Barrett and Edwards.  There was no way that ball was going through to the keeper and I doubt it even crossed Flav's mind.

But Barrett then took control of the situation and dealt with it for which he should be commended.  Thought all of the defensive 5 looked quality and seem to be improving with every game.
The ball wasn't going through to the keeper, but the keeper should be communicating with his defenders in that situation.

A minor complaint, in an otherwise impressive performance for the reasons fbm states.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Oct. 10 2005,22:09)]The ball wasn't going through to the keeper, but the keeper should be communicating with his defenders in that situation.
There was no need to put it in the stands though. From where I was, I thought either Barrett or Edwards had enough time to take the ball down but there was almost a double hesitation while they looked at each other. My point was that Flavs can't be expected to shout for every ball on the pitch and that was just one that they should have dealt with.

Bear in mind that Barrett had time for the hesitation, second hesitation and then still time to take the ball down and knock it to the keeper.

Either way, decent game. Darryl came across as quite decisive I thought when playing it back too which is such an improvement.

blues.gif

Back