• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How would those people who don't like fans boong the players like the fans to react after a bad performance with no effert from the players?

Should we stand up and applaud them off the pitch, tell them how great they are and say how we are looking forward to another spineless performance next week?

In regards to who we should keep / let go, I don't think anybody in our team can't be replaced.
I just tend to walk off and get out the ground. Nothing difficult there in my opinion.

Regarding the 'irreplacable' players, there tends to be a lot of complacency on here. Will Atkinson was considered no loss last summer but we've missed his energy for long periods this season, especially as last season he masked Wordsworth's lack of mobility.

This summer I would be gutted to lose Oxley and Cox. Oxley has grown into a terrific goalkeeper who has won us several points this season, and Cox, despite being an unachiever in terms of goals, is a class and clever player who links up superbly with players in the final third. These types of players are hard to find.

Dru and Coker would be seriously missed as well although they are under contract so not worried about them yet. A new contract for the latter should be a priority, though. Would like to keep Turner as well. A big strong centre half is always an asset in both boxes.

I think thanks in part to SCP theat the scenario on what players we need to bring in for next season is rapidly changing,SCP has given notice to our youths that he is willing to give them the chance,look at our CB situation to begin with ,Turner ,Kiernan ,Anton out for season ,Kyps given an opportunity and seems to have taken it , Coker out for rest off the season up steps young Elvis and apparently is doing the job,also Lewis Gard given minutes another young CB from our youth system, enough has been written and said how well Dru is performing in midfield. This must send a great message to our youths ,perform and your chance will come.He (SCP ) is using the loan system to help our youths progress also. Beginning to believe RM has made a good choice on the new manager. Happy days are ahead i think , sit back and enjoy people .:happy:

I just tend to walk off and get out the ground. Nothing difficult there in my opinion.

Regarding the 'irreplacable' players, there tends to be a lot of complacency on here. Will Atkinson was considered no loss last summer but we've missed his energy for long periods this season, especially as last season he masked Wordsworth's lack of mobility.

This summer I would be gutted to lose Oxley and Cox. Oxley has grown into a terrific goalkeeper who has won us several points this season, and Cox, despite being an unachiever in terms of goals, is a class and clever player who links up superbly with players in the final third. These types of players are hard to find.

Dru and Coker would be seriously missed as well although they are under contract so not worried about them yet. A new contract for the latter should be a priority, though. Would like to keep Turner as well. A big strong centre half is always an asset in both boxes.

Agree with most of this with regards to players you want to stay, we seem to have parity there. Will Atkinson, despite his energy, is sadly not up to League One standards when it comes to actual ability. Although I'd have kept him if Leonard would have stuck about a bit longer.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see any of the others moved on.

Fortune’ ,for all his skills,has never been a regular scorer.Cox has and should be for us,given the right support/set-up.Robinson is showing he can get into scoring positions,but he is NOT a target-man.McLaughlin can fire in powerfully and accurately from distance.There is an awful lot more to come from Harrison,once he toughens up,but McGlashan and Ladapo should be released.

Fortune’ ,for all his skills,has never been a regular scorer.Cox has and should be for us,given the right support/set-up.Robinson is showing he can get into scoring positions,but he is NOT a target-man.McLaughlin can fire in powerfully and accurately from distance.There is an awful lot more to come from Harrison,once he toughens up,but McGlashan and Ladapo should be released.

But Fortune brings so much more - his ball skills are excellent - often taking two players with him and creating gaps elsewhere. He is a threat and that keeps opposition defenders back and midfielders then stay back and that leads to the opposition being stretched when they attack. It's all good stuff if you ask me. :thumbsup:

Neither Cox nor Fortune score enough goals as their career records prove. Cox last season tallied 16 which is just about ok but that was the only season since 2008/9 when he has reached double figures and this year he has reverted to a pattern which has prevailed for ten seasons, which is just not good enough. Fortune brings a different dimension to the attack and his qualities will be hard to replace if and when he goes He needs a goal poacher alongside him and maybe Robinson can fulfil that role but again, his career record suggests otherwise. I can only conclude that we need a complete change up front to find two forwards who complement each others strengths. This is where the management team have the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to find two such players and hopefully they are already giving this priority.

Neither Cox nor Fortune score enough goals as their career records prove. Cox last season tallied 16 which is just about ok but that was the only season since 2008/9 when he has reached double figures and this year he has reverted to a pattern which has prevailed for ten seasons, which is just not good enough. Fortune brings a different dimension to the attack and his qualities will be hard to replace if and when he goes He needs a goal poacher alongside him and maybe Robinson can fulfil that role but again, his career record suggests otherwise. I can only conclude that we need a complete change up front to find two forwards who complement each others strengths. This is where the management team have the opportunity to demonstrate their ability to find two such players and hopefully they are already giving this priority.

More to being a forward than just goals. Cox did create plenty of goals last season as well.

As for finding decent forwards, that's the easy bit. Getting their agents to deal with SUFC is the tough bit.

I've been on the fence about whether I want to keep Wordsworth, but I've now picked a side!

When his contract negotiations started he said look at my goals to game ratio, and that point held a lot of weight. But if you look at how many goals we're now scoring [and chances we're creating] without him I wonder how he would fit in the team. It's sad to let a talent go, not even taking into account his injuries but it's time to go.

Last edited:
Don't forget Norman Wabo is waiting in the wings too. He will score many goals in his career.

Tbf Cox scored a hatful in L! then went of to Prem/Champ where goals are harder to come by than in L1 and of course he played far less games. The thing I like about him is that he's no big time Charlie- attitude and effort top drawer. In the right partnership up front he could easily get 20+ goals next year.

I think SCP will at one moment think this squad and few additions could get the job done- at other keep 5 and shoot the rest. Consistency a real problem and either of the two options may apply depending what SCP judges as being behind it.

I really think our pitch has been a huge factor this season. We built a squad of people who like it on the ground- and come up with a pitch that meant we had to do the complete opposite. And with Ranger out the equation no-one who could head the ball either- even now the only forward orientated person we have who can head a ball is the winger (McLaughlin) and he is about 5' 9"...

More to being a forward than just goals. Cox did create plenty of goals last season as well.

As for finding decent forwards, that's the easy bit. Getting their agents to deal with SUFC is the tough bit.

Should be easier now Brown's gone.

I don't think Brown had or SCP has, any financial dealings with agents and player contracts, I believe that's ultimately down to Uncle Ron.

As for finding decent forwards / attack minded players, I think this is something that our club has to focus on for next season. It appears to me that SCP prefers a much more attacking style of play than under Brown, yet in comparison....

Last season we scored 75 goals across all competitions from 17 different team players.

However this season we have scored just 60 goals from only 13 different players (actually it's just only 11 different players if you don't count Ranger & Leonard who haven't been with us for a while now).

Ideally, I would like to see us buying one or two quality forwards with 15 goals a season in them, with our up coming youth given a chance to replace tired legs.

Last edited:
Back