• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What needs to happen to get us back on track?

Feels like we've gone backwards since end of last season and Chris Powell seems to be getting off lightly at the moment. Three home defeats in first four league games, late goals conceded, injury prone signings, and poor discipline with manager setting a bad example is all a concern for me.

Trouble is I find myself repeating myself saying 'we'll be okay once everybody is fit amd available'. I did that under PB but the reality was we never got to that stage. I really think that we need to look at the transfer policy and the training. We do seem to have a disproportionate number of players unavailable each week vs. the more successful teams who seem able to enjoy better continuity in selection. It seems to have been a particular problem for the last 2/3 years - as well as not being able to hit a barn door from 5 yards!

At the end of the day all football fans have their thoughts on what the best starting 11 should be, but it's down to the manager (who lives and dies by his team results) that's football for you + we love it

I would suggest that Moore will start this weekend. We were very impressed with him in the Checkatrade, and he worked well with White that night.

Do we know if/when Lennon is back? Chris Powell said 3-4 weeks - and that was 4 weeks ago.

Edit: he said another 3-4 weeks last week and that's he's still wearing a protective boot.
Harry's boot is definitely off, and reports are that things look to be going well with recovery. He thinks he'll be back a bit quicker than Ben Clarkson does! It's still a few weeks off though.

Funny how when a player is not in the side for whatever reason his stock seems to rise. From the little we have seen of Lennon, or Hyam for that matter, there is little to suggest that their return will immediately spark a revival. People also talking with keen anticipation about Kightley coming back seem to have forgotten his lack lustre displays prior to his suspension.

Tot
Funny how when a player is not in the side for whatever reason his stock seems to rise. From the little we have seen of Lennon, or Hyam for that matter, there is little to suggest that their return will immediately spark a revival. People also talking with keen anticipation about Kightley coming back seem to have forgotten his lack lustre displays prior to his suspension.

Totally agree, but it’s better to have hope rather than doom and gloom

We also have a very attack minded young midfielder as an option, probably as a sub. Goals from midfield is always nice, and Kev Maher called it last week by saying that Hutchinson is on fire in training, He then comes on against Cambridge and scores a beauty straight away, and has just scored a hat-trick for the U23s against Barnet.

I was high on Lennon from what I saw in pre-season and the opener. I may be in a minority as he underhit a backpass against Doncaster and everyone freaked out but he looked to me like the type of player that you build long term around. I don't think that will be an immediate solution as it takes time to build partnerships but he had what I (and presumably Chris Powell, as he signed him) was looking for.

I also think Kightly will be better for having Harry Bunn, as it will allow us to use Kightly more sparingly so he doesn't get so run down. His form seemed to be picking up after some poor performances when he got suspended.

I do get what you are saying. For me it is more about having somebody a bit younger and mobile at centre back to compliment either Turner or White rather than thinking Lennon is some kind of saviour, I will say that I was impressed from the little I have seen of him though. Kyprianou has shown promise too so I wouldn’t mind seeing him given a chance too, it’s more about balance than personnel for me at the moment.

I have seen very little of Hyam as well but I don’t see him ahead of Mantom, Dieng and Dru. Don’t think his return would have a big impact except to cover for suspensions and injuries.

Back