• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WHAT NEWS

petejan

First XI
Is there on our new stadium .The club were blowing there trumpets at the last game of the season about our first big final in 98 years and that we will soon be going to our new stadium take shape .Well at meet the blues day I didnt see any sign of diggers in any field in or about fosset farm .So what is going on does anyone know .?

The plans have not even been submitted and subsequently approved yet, Pete! Give 'em a chance ... !!

WS

tounge.gif

Mike Ithought southend's council have allready said that they couldnt see any reason to block any propossed move as its good for the town and good for the club . So surely its straight forward humm why dont I beleve a councilor unless they want a vote.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (petejan @ Aug. 03 2004,20:39)]Is there on our new stadium .The club were blowing there trumpets at the last game of the season about our first big final in 98 years and that we will soon be going to our new stadium take shape .Well at meet the blues day I didnt see any sign of diggers in any field in or about fosset farm .So what is going on does anyone know .?
As of the beginning of June, the general concencus was that planning applications would take some 6 months and that the project once agreed would take a further 18 months to complete. Generally meaning that we may be at Roots Hall for another 2 years and probably move into our new home in the centenary year. 2006/07 would be quite interesting then... but will we still be League 2?

There have been some large gaps in time, between snippets of information since the original proposals in 2000... which is frustrating, when you just want to see something going ahead, so I can understand how you feel.

Personally, I don't think it would hurt the club to let us know how things are progressing [say once a month!] with the new stadium, even if it was just a few lines in the match day programs.

But the Council can't approve something that doesn't exist at the moment, Pete. Lansbury's B&Q development has only just been approved after many, many months of inquiry. Although the approval of this development opens the door for SUFC to "propose" a new stadium complex as an addition to the site, there still needs to be proper consultation and planning submission to the Council and SUFC announced on May 4th that the plans would be submitted sometime this summer. It's still summer ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2004,20:59)]SUFC announced on May 4th that the plans would be submitted sometime this summer. It's still summer ...

WS
Interestingly enough, I wanted to quiz either or both of Geoff and Ron about this at the sponsors' evening last night. Imagine my surprise - nay, disappointment - when neither of them showed.

I actually quizzed Tilly about this towards the end of the evening. Impressively, Tilly was pretty defensive on behalf of his bosses (OK, perhaps I was being a bit too inquisitorial for my own good), saying that they were on holiday and were entitled to time off before the start of a long season.

A manager sticking up for the chairman?! Blimey - the times they have a-changed at Roots Hall. There hasn't been such unity of purpose - from the boardroom to the bootroom - in the entire time (14 years) that I've been a fan of Southend United.

And that, more than anything, is a reason for great optimism. I still hope to hear from one of Ron or Geoff about the plans... a wee e-mail to Geoff may well be winging its way to the club in the next few days.

Here's to what promises to be our best season in a very, very long time.

COME ON SOUTHEND!!!

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2004,20:59)]But the Council can't approve something that doesn't exist at the moment, Pete. Lansbury's B&Q development has only just been approved after many, many months of inquiry. Although the approval of this development opens the door for SUFC to "propose" a new stadium complex as an addition to the site, there still needs to be proper consultation and planning submission to the Council and SUFC announced on May 4th that the plans would be submitted sometime this summer. It's still summer ...

WS
The club's finances seem to be dependent on the new stadium going ahead. If the plans are rejected the club will probably go into administration.

If the plans are not submitted they can not be rejected, so as long as the plans are "due shortly" the club's financial position can still be considered viable.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Aug. 04 2004,10:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Aug. 03 2004,20:59)]SUFC announced on May 4th that the plans would be submitted sometime this summer. It's still summer ...

WS
Interestingly enough, I wanted to quiz either or both of Geoff and Ron about this at the sponsors' evening last night.  Imagine my surprise - nay, disappointment - when neither of them showed.

I actually quizzed Tilly about this towards the end of the evening.  Impressively, Tilly was pretty defensive on behalf of his bosses (OK, perhaps I was being a bit too inquisitorial for my own good), saying that they were on holiday and were entitled to time off before the start of a long season.

A manager sticking up for the chairman?!  Blimey - the times they have a-changed at Roots Hall.  There hasn't been such unity of purpose - from the boardroom to the bootroom - in the entire time (14 years) that I've been a fan of Southend United.

And that, more than anything, is a reason for great optimism.  I still hope to hear from one of Ron or Geoff about the plans... a wee e-mail to Geoff may well be winging its way to the club in the next few days.

Here's to what promises to be our best season in a very, very long time.

COME ON SOUTHEND!!!

Matt
I was there last nigth, who are you sponsoring, or where yo just collecting

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Aug. 04 2004,11:21)]I was there last nigth, who are you sponsoring, or where yo just collecting
Indeed, Mr. Cockles - I was about to introduce myself when you were chatting to Napster - only you said you were off, so I didn't get the chance to say hello.

I was both picking up & sponsoring - on behalf of the SUFC Exiles, the Southend fans who live outside Southend - in London, Wiltshire, Cornwall, Scotland and so on.  We sponsored Leon Cort's away shirt last season; this season we're sponsoring Nicky Nicolau's home shirt.

See you in the Spread and/or Shrimpers in the not too distant future, I hope - so will say hello then.

smile.gif

Matt

Back