• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Promotion Was The Best?

What Promotion Was Better?

• Total voters

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers 🍤 ⭐
After J's thread with the goals from our League Two Play-Off Final victory Vs Lincoln, it got me thinking. Which promotion was better for you?

Forget the division we went up to, what promotion was better, winning in extra time at the Millenium Stadium after two heartbraking outings there, or winning the title in front of our own fans on the Goats' last match.

Over to you guys and girls, please also include your own highlights of the day to cheer everyone up on a wednesday afternoon.

BTW, I'm just including the most recent two due to the number of fans that wont remember the Bury match, like myself.

Its got to be winning the play-offs. It is an amazing experience to see your team play in such an big ground. For half the fans it ends in total heartbreak but if you are lucky to be behind the winning side then its an experience you will never forget.

Despite it being a nervy affair with so much at stake it was such a fantastic day. Especially the ones who were there knowing they were of a minority of lucky one that managed to get up to Cardiff for the second time in a season.

Winning the play-offs is far far more exciting I would take it over automatic promotion anyday.

Can't decide!! The play off final was great but also completely overshadowing Col Ewe's promotion by winning league 1 is a major plus point!!

Gotta go with the Play off Final most memorable occasion of all esp after going their and watching Ben Foster stop us v Wrexham and that half a yard offside goal Blackpool got and the continuos ankle taps they kept giving Leon Constantine.

I still remember the appreciation we got from the Lincoln supporters after all the celebrations wishing us luck for the coming season and saying we we're far the better side and deserved to win it!:) :) :)

Most unmemorable promotion was the dodgy win Brentford got against us on the last day of the season. I'm sure Jobson must have had some money on Cambridge winning the league esp when they had never topped league until that day - and those penalty misses of Dave Martins were also supect too:guns:

In terms of what was the club's greater achievement, then obviously it's winning League One.

But the relief and joy of being there at Cardiff having failed twice before and having gone five hours without scoring means the play-off final just pips it.

Winning the title at Roots Hall....

But if you had put the Game at Bury up, it would be that one every day of the week and twice on Sundays for me......I can still see that Red card being brandished for Scully after he sliced some Bury player down and with Tilly out of the squad with chicken pox, i thought we were doomed. But then a run by a player who i can not remember down the right wing to cross to Benji in the box, half turn and then.......85 years of hurt was gone

winning the league i'd go with absolute fantasic day with the fans on the pitch and the players in the stands leading the celebrations after the match....though i have to say my regretable absence :cry: from the play off final may well influence my decision :finger: (something due to a dad with no money, and 'not wanting to see us lose a third time')

Play-off Final = Best day of my life!

Wonder why that was ;)

For me, probably the Play off final. Was in the Sports Cafe in London with about 20 + other Southend fans and we all just went mental! The win at Roots Hall, was in my house by myself in Cheltenham watching it on SS News and didnt feel that good to me, even though it was a brilliant day for the team.

Last edited:
out of those two winning at Cardiff to get out of the bottom tier after years of crap football was the best, although Swansea away to win promotion was a top day out.

Peterboro away is still my favourite promotion winning game.

It's got to be the play off final just for the moments of delight and relief when Freddy then Juppy hit the net, Although Freddy's goals v Swansea were exciting and turned out to be the promotion goals we didn't know it until after the game, although we all knew what Wayne Gray's goal meant!!!

I'm probably biased towards the play off final because I travelled down from Suffolk to a Southend pub while I oculdn't get a ticket to bristol City game and was working when Swans match was on(!)

I plan this year to be the year when I'm sitting in the stadium (FINALLY) when we get promoted!

Amnd we're on our way to Wembley, Wem-ber-lee, Wem-ber-lee!!!

Promotion in Play-Off was better, and more special as it more than 1 year after Southend nearly went out of the football League to Conference and 6 years of watching cr@p under Martin, Little, Newman & Wignall and getting beaten by ex conference team too.

Look at Lincoln City now, make me realise it a good thing we went up.

Back