• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News What Ron Martin is looking for in Southend United's next manager

A few things have changed....Lost half a squad, on an embargo, haven't paid players, haven't paid staff, knocked a few loyal suppliers, can afford to open the training ground, players don't even see the physio, no one has heard from management and we ended up with the lowest ever points total......

But apart from that why on earth would AB choose to stay at Millwall and in doing so give himself an opportunity to manage at Championship level and be secure for life......When he has a chance to prove what he doesn't have to by saving SUFC from the National league and beyond......He has passion, loves Southend, would run through brick walls and bleed for us fans......That is, until a pointless radio interview offends the usual suspects after his second defeat in a row.....Then it will all change.

If it was anyone other than Adam Barrett I would agree but this is Adam Barrett. It’s a completely different scenario and situation.

A few things have changed....Lost half a squad, on an embargo, haven't paid players, haven't paid staff, knocked a few loyal suppliers, can afford to open the training ground, players don't even see the physio, no one has heard from management and we ended up with the lowest ever points total......

Losing the majority of the squad was always going to be the plan. At the time of AB&T being interviewed in October, it was common knowledge that we needed the high earners off the books, and there were others here who were stealing a living. AB&T would have known that, and would have known we would need to bring in almost a new squad. It’s possible the financial reach has changed, but again, these guys already knew how skint we were.

The players and staff not being paid isn’t anything new, either. In fact, in AB&T’s case, it’s the complete opposite. They know better than anyone what it’s like for employees of SUFC to not be paid on time. Yet they were willing to look past that in October.

Same situation with the embargoes & constant HMRC battles. It’s nothing new.

I can see how the training ground fiasco could be seen as off-putting, but the pair of them spent enough time at that very same training ground, so it’s at least a place they know well.. warts and all. We know (hope?) it’s not a long-term problem.

All of these things would have gone through AB’s mind back in October, and yet he was still keen on the job... certainly keen enough to show upto the interview suited and booted.

But apart from that why on earth would AB choose to stay at Millwall and in doing so give himself an opportunity to manage at Championship level and be secure for life......When he has a chance to prove what he doesn't have to by saving SUFC from the National league and beyond......He has passion, loves Southend, would run through brick walls and bleed for us fans......That is, until a pointless radio interview offends the usual suspects after his second defeat in a row.....Then it will all change.

Now that sounds on the money.

I mentioned to someone earlier, that it wouldn’t surprise me if Millwall were planning on having a decent crack at promotion next season. Their chairman isn’t too bad (by one fans account at least) and they’re making strides to sort out a new stadium. They’ve got a half sensible manager in Rowett, and with a few quid chucked into the playing side, they could be on the up.

In that scenario, it absolutely makes sense for AB to want to stay where he is. So much so, that if he walked away from that to return to this basket case of a club, then you’d be forgiven for questioning his mind state.

FWIW, until another theory comes along I believe that back in October, he had a choice of stagnating with Millwall or closing his eyes, crossing his fingers and jumping off of the cliff with us.

Now, that choice has become, go on an adventure with Millwall or close his eyes, cross his fingers and jump off of the cliff with us.

It’s not that difficult a choice, I suppose.

It's probably a really difficult choice if the job was offered to AB.

He really does love the club but would be fully aware of the issues involving hrmc and players wages. He has a steady job and had we been any other club he would dismiss it, but this is SUFC and he may never get the chance to manage any club, let alone the club that he sees as his own.

Of course he may not even be in Ron's thoughts, but he would be mad not to consider AB as a major contender.

If I was AB I'd want iron tight assurances that the players and bills would be paid and have it in contract that he could walk if the above failed to happen.

I'd love to see AB get the job alongside Tilly. Two top players, legends, and above all, really good people. Men that lead by example.

i am sure the money at Millwall no2 is better than lge 2 no1 at SUFC ...

plus career wise why not come back to SUFC next tome around .. 10 years time would be good

i am sure the money at Millwall no2 is better than lge 2 no1 at SUFC ...

plus career wise why not come back to SUFC next tome around .. 10 years time would be good

I believe the Marilyn Monroe cliche is "if a man doesn't want you at your worst, then he sure as hell doesn't deserve you at your best".

As much as i think AB would do a great job here , he would be mad to up sticks and leave Millwall at the moment , perhaps he knew last year that Harris was looking to jump ship and wanted out too ,but now Millwall are different prospect with Rowett in charge

The question you should all ask yourself......If you have a relatively secure job right now during COVID, would you leave for a smaller less stable company that are currently closed and there is no date for them to reopen?

Without a doubt this will have an effect on the decision process of anyone currently with a job in football such as AB or KM.

Interesting to read Afinkenwa interview on Sky Sports . You can see why Wycombe have done so well and what has been missing at SUFC.
Yet they are closer too the wall than us. If they do not go up i fear they need to do some major cost cutting. Apparently it was reported that they were losing around 350k per week during COVID that is a hell of a lot

The one thing they have though is team spirit from top to bottom. You have to have a happy ship.

Its true we had people that rocked the boat but at least we have made them walk the plank.... Except rather than sharks they get compensation but you get my point.

I believe we have enough good young lads to overcome fans fears.

Back