• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News What Ron Martin is looking for in Southend United's next manager

This was a great watch. The thing that stands out for me is when he’s talking about Cian Bolger. He is a natural man manager and that’s something we’ve not had here for a while. While I think Barrett would be very popular, I also think it’s very clear he doesn’t take ****.

That could also be what will stop him getting the job this time around.Remember he's been shafted by the Chairman, as a player, twice already.He didn't seem to keen to elaborate about what happened in his chat with RM fot the job last year, either.

Tweet from CP.... "As things stand right now, it's unlikely Adam Barrett will be the next Blues boss. He's very highly rated at Millwall"

I wouldn’t read too much into that, that might be Millwall wanted to bump up his compensation value.

It's gonna be Fagan.

Darren Currie could be a real contender for the Southend job. He is highly rated in the game and is apparently on a rolling contract with Barnet. So there would not appear to be any compensation complications.

He obviously has some experience on operating with a limited budget as well.

Last edited:
Open message to Ron Martin:

Ron

I know you have people (not on furlough) that read this site regularly as you need to keep in touch with the fan base. So, assuming you will read this or be told about it, would you please come to a conclusion on who you want to be our new manager and who wants to be our new manager, and then publish the outcome. It's been ages since we've had anything of any football worth to discuss on here and the thread where we post who we want as manager is going the way of all of the threads of that sort, and it's your fault mate because you are keeping it under your hat (if you wore one).

So, assuming you have the dosh to get HMRC off our case, and assuming you have reached a commercial decision on season cards (for next season and last), then do the decent thing and ****ing tell us!!

By the way you may want to join in on here under an alias, we'd all love that and we would be very civil, as all posters are with everyone on here.

PS - Can I have our normal seats in the West please, thanks ever so much,

Love

RHB

Open message to Ron Martin:

Ron

I know you have people (not on furlough) that read this site regularly as you need to keep in touch with the fan base. So, assuming you will read this or be told about it, would you please come to a conclusion on who you want to be our new manager and who wants to be our new manager, and then publish the outcome. It's been ages since we've had anything of any football worth to discuss on here and the thread where we post who we want as manager is going the way of all of the threads of that sort, and it's your fault mate because you are keeping it under your hat (if you wore one).

So, assuming you have the dosh to get HMRC off our case, and assuming you have reached a commercial decision on season cards (for next season and last), then do the decent thing and ****ing tell us!!

By the way you may want to join in on here under an alias, we'd all love that and we would be very civil, as all posters are with everyone on here.

PS - Can I have our normal seats in the West please, thanks ever so much,

Love

RHB
I was with you all the way till you said everyone is civil and you swore (albeit with asterisks) in your posts lol.

The sentiments are correct though, would please a lot of us for sure

The 19/20 season is not over yet and nothing is guaranteed for 20/21, so why the need to make any decisions, especially commercial. For a start our stadium will surely be more restricted than a more modern one of similar capacity....I have spoke to people who will not go into the East even with restrictions. Arriving late or leaving early causes mayhem as it is.

In the brave new world of limited fans and funds and if 2 or 3 more big earners are moved on, then that would dramatically change the options for the new boss.....That in turn would open up more options for Ron.

Right now the very people the fans want, like a Barrett or Tisdale are not going to come anywhere near RH.....I think time is on our side rather than against us.....If the whole COVID business is forgotten by the end of September then that would certainly help us.

I really don’t understand the rush to name or appoint someone. Especially with HMRC hanging over our head, the football season still playing and with no start date decided. If we start August with no manager appointed then it’s time to start getting concerned.

I really don’t understand the rush to name or appoint someone. Especially with HMRC hanging over our head, the football season still playing and with no start date decided. If we start August with no manager appointed then it’s time to start getting concerned.

Indeed. The sensible thing for Ron to do is bank the Fagan option as he already knows all our players. If there is no sign of a an AB/other by August, then give the job to CF, rather than someone who thinks football owes him a living.

I mean, we most likely will. Then what?

Indeed. The sensible thing for Ron to do is bank the Fagan option as he already knows all our players. If there is no sign of a an AB/other by August, then give the job to CF, rather than someone who thinks football owes him a living.

I agree with rigsby. I think it would be smart for the Chairman to make Craig Fagan caretaker manager and see how things shape-up thereafter.

He may want him to stay but Barrett wants to be a manager.

if they want him to stay you may find the compo ends up ruling that out no matter how much he wants it....if indeed he does want to swap top end of championship for zero budget league 2....

I think that settles the AB debate

Yep.

Something seems to have changed for him, and right now, I don’t think he wants the job.

Strange though, as not a great deal has changed for us, since October. We’re still skint, relegation was always a concern & Ron’s still Ron.

Yep.

Something seems to have changed for him, and right now, I don’t think he wants the job.

Strange though, as not a great deal has changed for us, since October. We’re still skint, relegation was always a concern & Ron’s still Ron.

A few things have changed....Lost half a squad, on an embargo, haven't paid players, haven't paid staff, knocked a few loyal suppliers, can afford to open the training ground, players don't even see the physio, no one has heard from management and we ended up with the lowest ever points total......

But apart from that why on earth would AB choose to stay at Millwall and in doing so give himself an opportunity to manage at Championship level and be secure for life......When he has a chance to prove what he doesn't have to by saving SUFC from the National league and beyond......He has passion, loves Southend, would run through brick walls and bleed for us fans......That is, until a pointless radio interview offends the usual suspects after his second defeat in a row.....Then it will all change.

Back