• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Roots Hall Reception for Paynter?

sufc_tom

Striker
http://www.thisisswindontownfc.co.u...r.2461023.0.billy_going_back_to_his_roots.php

Lets cheer him then, and then he'll feel like an *** saying that we'll boo him :D

IF Billy Paynter finds the back of the net tomorrow at Southend his muted celebrations may tell one story, but inside the front man will be bursting with pride at silencing some of his harshest critics.

By his own admission, Paynter spent an unhappy solitary season at Roots Hall before signing for Town in 2007, making only nine appearances without getting a goal to his name.

As Swindon visit the Essex seaside tomorrow, the 24-year-old knows he will be in for the obligatory abuse reserved for former players of any club, and insists there is only one way to shut the barrackers up.

So CHEER not BOO!

I still don't think we should've sold him when we did. Nope he wasn't up to the Championship, but most weren't and you can't tell me Harrold was a better player and worth persisting with instead. He'd have done alright for us in League 1 as he's shown for Swindon and for Bradford.

I agree, the bloke should be treated with complete indifference.
He sounds like he is relying on the crowd barracking him as a form of motivation.
Sod him, let him motivate himself, why do his work for him.....

I remember his saying something like this last year and he started the game on the bench :D

I still don't think we should've sold him when we did. Nope he wasn't up to the Championship, but most weren't and you can't tell me Harrold was a better player and worth persisting with instead. He'd have done alright for us in League 1 as he's shown for Swindon and for Bradford.

Not sure his 14 goals in 61 appearances would have been enough to spare him the wrath even if it is a decent return for a physical striker.

Oh I'll be giving Paynter some words of encouragement alright, wonder if that tossers aim has improved since he hit me on the terrace stood behind the goal, full pelt in the face with a shot from point blank range at the Canvey pre season friendly last season. Add insult to injury there wasnt even a look or hands up to say sorry.

Shame The Blue Voice haven't invested in some large bells and piles of tumbleweed for when Paynter's name is announced tomorrow! ;)

He'll get booed by the way. It seems that you have to have been some sort of a hero to avoid it. No idea why player we opted to get rid of get booed but that's just the football fan mentality.

He will get cheered and laughed at when he puts the ball over the bar from 6 yards like he did last time....

I don't agree one bit to booing players and was disgusted at when Jamal Campbell-Ryce got booed. And he certainly proved his point by scoring a cracker. I don't think Paynter deserves to be booed and I think he wasn't really given much of a chance here which is a shame cause I think he wouldn't of done half bad for us. But the boo boys worked their magic...

Oh I'll be giving Paynter some words of encouragement alright, wonder if that tossers aim has improved since he hit me on the terrace stood behind the goal, full pelt in the face with a shot from point blank range at the Canvey pre season friendly last season. Add insult to injury there wasnt even a look or hands up to say sorry.

At least you can be pretty darn certain that he didn't mean to do it!!

Paynter doesn't really bother me as he only played a few games for us. Yes, he was overpriced and poor on the pitch, but so few games played for us doesn't warrant abuse...I'll just pretend that he never wore the blue of Southend. Of course if the useless lump nets against us it's a different story...

Well campbell ryce got heavily boo'd so i can safely say paynter will. Just proving how many idiots are in the stands. Campbell Ryce was a star player for us and left for championship football like any player would yet he got boo'd for nothing. Same with paynter yes he wasnt the best but what can he prove in 9 games, most coming from he bench. Paynter was one of the nicest blokes i have met, always spoke to me in the tunnell.

Well campbell ryce got heavily boo'd so i can safely say paynter will. Just proving how many idiots are in the stands. Campbell Ryce was a star player for us and left for championship football like any player would yet he got boo'd for nothing. Same with paynter yes he wasnt the best but what can he prove in 9 games, most coming from he bench. Paynter was one of the nicest blokes i have met, always spoke to me in the tunnell.

Well said, and anyone who went to Swindon last season will have witnessed the genuine affection shown to Paynter by his former team mates in the warm up period before the game. I can honestly say I have never seen such a display of warmth to a former colleague. Incidently, I do think things might have turned out differently if he hadn't have got injured in that game up at Leeds - he started brilliantly that night and took a bad injury that kept him out for a while and just never found a way back.

The booing against JCR has already been covered many times, I didn't agree with it at the time and felt it was people not really understanding the circumstances of his leaving that prompted it to the level of abuse that night. It was bang out of order.

I definitely shan't be booing him today, in fact, there are very few former players I would boo - all have worn the blue of Southend with pride and played as well as they could at the time. I prefer to keep my booing for the opposition.

Last edited:
Back