• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Should I Do

What Should I Do?

• Rub salt into their wound and get them to collect from the mechanic

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Don't be stupid. Collect the car yourself.

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
I had my car MOT'd and serviced by VW today. Unfortunately my car failed the MOT because it needs a new rear offside coil spring.

VW quoted £188.27 (£68.27 parts and £120.00 labour, for a one hour job)

I rang my mechanic who said he could do it for £91.44 saying that it is only a half hour job. (I also know he only uses genuine VW parts.) Therefore VW were trying to rip me off.

I then rang VW and told them the difference in price so they knocked off £20!

I said no, and have them delivering my car back to me tonight.

I have booked the car in for the work next Thursday (the old MOT doesn't run out until Feb) at my mechanic, and for a free re-test at VW for next Friday.

Now, here's the question. I need to drop the car off at my mechanic on Wednesday night for him to do the work on Thursday. VW will collect my car Friday morning and drop it back again on Friday evening. However, that means I need to collect my car from my mechanic (it's about a 20 minute drive) Thursday night so it is home for Friday morning. For me to collect the car Thursday night I need a lift from my wife, which means we need to take both our boys (can't get a babysitter). So, should I get VW to collect from my mechanic Friday morning and drop it home to me Friday evening? (Given how they tried to rip me off I don't really have an issue with that, but is that rubbing salt into their wound too much?)

To my mind they should collect and deliver your car from where it suits you best so let them do the running about

In case any of you have been having sleepness nights over this I thought I'd give you all an update.

I dropped the car in with my mechanic yesterday evening. They've just rang to say the work's been done.

VW are picking the car up from them tomorrow and delivering back to me tomorrow evening...assuming they can get it right.

So far my car is still telling me it's due a service in 4700 miles and the paperwork tells me that it's due a service next year. The first can't be true given that it's just had a service, and the second can't be true because it's just had a long life service! If they can't get that right there's a real chance they can't work out how to collect and deliver!

did you car fail its MOT or did the garage advise you that it would fail ?

The reason I ask is , I believe that despite your previous MOT not having run out yet, it has been supersceded by the latest MOT, thus you currently do not have a valid MOT. I think its the last test taken which is the current position

Grouty may be able to confirm or correct

Good question. I don't actually know but:

a) Neither VW nor my mechanic have advised me I can't drive it, and
b) It's now with the mechanic awaiting pick up by VW for its MOT retest so I don't need to drive it!

Back