• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Southend means to you...

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
Bear with me caller, this is going to take an open mind...

This has been an awful year, physically apart from the people and places we love, and it’s got me thinking thoughts I often have but rarely share. Especially on a forum such as this. However, we could do with (in my opinion) unbridled positivity and I’ve decided to go for it.

What do I love about Southend, and Southend United in particular? Well, I’ve travelled the world and lived in London longer than I ever did Southend - leaving as I did halfway through my upper sixth form year at Westcliff for a new life in London and now being a gnarled mid-forties guy with all manner of life behind me. I‘ve gone to places that I’d love to live, such as Cape Town (I even checked out properties while I was there once) but the older I get the more I realise Southend is my home - and it’s the place I intend to return to, to live out my years. Why? Well my values were shaped there, and for all the good there is in the world there is nowhere and there are no people I understand more than Southenders. Its the little things - interactions in shops, in the street, memories and shared experiences. Southend United and my family are the embodiment of this. Cape Town has Table Mountain and gorgeous weather, Tamboerskloef, Camps Bay, Stellenbosch - you name it, but it doesn’t have my family and it doesn’t have Southend United. I don’t want to grow old apart from those two.

Why is Southend United so important? Lots of memories really. I’m so proud that I was there the day that the idea for a Southend United fans website was first mooted in the Spread Eagle pub by a guy called Dave. He was a student then, and our mutual friends from the old Southend away coach travel - Mike, Fay, Al (the only one still on the Zone) and Bob - were all there. Bob, aka Railway Shrimper, is sadly no longer with us but despite me being probably the polar opposite of him he was a great guy full of fun, mischief, humility and I am still sorry he’s gone. Me and my graphic designer and Sheffield Weds fan mate came up with the SZ logo with the football I his bedroom one evening (he was from Hull but didnt like the Tigers). Similarly, the student days I had at my mate Dan’s house round the corner (Dan was the son of erstwhile Councillor John Lamb - who was an utter berk, for the record) where we put together, produced and printed our own fanzine and sold it outside Roots Hall for a few months until we got bored with the effort long before the famous meeting in the Spread. I worked hard with Dave and others to get the first iterations of what has become this site with Dave and Mike in particular up and running. Me and the Zone have had our ups and downs, but I wouldn’t change a thing and I’m so proud of what all of us Zoners have created together and @Cricko has cared for so well over the years. It’s the glue, along with my family, that keeps me connected with my home town. Then there’s the times at school playing football with @Yorkshire Blue and other friends using a tennis ball in the North West playground at Westcliff High School (I regret not making more effort to make proper friends with YB, as he always seemed to me to be a great guy even then but then I digress).

Watching Southend United there are all sorts of memories - the ebb and flow of the mass crowd in the North stand when a goal went in, famously (for me!) sitting next to Alison Moyet and some bloke she was with at Charlton away one year (we drew 3-3 that day, coming from behind with Andy Ansah among the scorers), the misery of the pre-mobile phone/internet coach journey back from Port Vale after losing 5-0, you name it there are loads and loads of those memories.

Those memories are the fabric of me and are utterly cherished. There is nothing Ron, Covid, health or anything else could ever do to take those away from me.

Over to you: what’s your story, and if possible is there a song that speaks for you? Why is Southend/Southend United important to you? This is your opportunity to share with your fellow lovely Zoners.

Bear with me caller, this is going to take an open mind...

This has been an awful year, physically apart from the people and places we love, and it’s got me thinking thoughts I often have but rarely share. Especially on a forum such as this. However, we could do with (in my opinion) unbridled positivity and I’ve decided to go for it.

What do I love about Southend, and Southend United in particular? Well, I’ve travelled the world and lived in London longer than I ever did Southend - leaving as I did halfway through my upper sixth form year at Westcliff for a new life in London and now being a gnarled mid-forties guy with all manner of life behind me. I‘ve gone to places that I’d love to live, such as Cape Town (I even checked out properties while I was there once) but the older I get the more I realise Southend is my home - and it’s the place I intend to return to, to live out my years. Why? Well my values were shaped there, and for all the good there is in the world there is nowhere and there are no people I understand more than Southenders. Its the little things - interactions in shops, in the street, memories and shared experiences. Southend United and my family are the embodiment of this. Cape Town has Table Mountain and gorgeous weather, Tamboerskloef, Camps Bay, Stellenbosch - you name it, but it doesn’t have my family and it doesn’t have Southend United. I don’t want to grow old apart from those two.

Why is Southend United so important? Lots of memories really. I’m so proud that I was there the day that the idea for a Southend United fans website was first mooted in the Spread Eagle pub by a guy called Dave. He was a student then, and our mutual friends from the old Southend away coach travel - Mike, Fay, Al (the only one still on the Zone) and Bob - were all there. Bob, aka Railway Shrimper, is sadly no longer with us but despite me being probably the polar opposite of him he was a great guy full of fun, mischief, humility and I am still sorry he’s gone. Me and my graphic designer and Sheffield Weds fan mate came up with the SZ logo with the football I his bedroom one evening (he was from Hull but didnt like the Tigers). Similarly, the student days I had at my mate Dan’s house round the corner (Dan was the son of erstwhile Councillor John Lamb - who was an utter berk, for the record) where we put together, produced and printed our own fanzine and sold it outside Roots Hall for a few months until we got bored with the effort long before the famous meeting in the Spread. I worked hard with Dave and others to get the first iterations of what has become this site with Dave and Mike in particular up and running. Me and the Zone have had our ups and downs, but I wouldn’t change a thing and I’m so proud of what all of us Zoners have created together and @Cricko has cared for so well over the years. It’s the glue, along with my family, that keeps me connected with my home town. Then there’s the times at school playing football with @Yorkshire Blue and other friends using a tennis ball in the North West playground at Westcliff High School (I regret not making more effort to make proper friends with YB, as he always seemed to me to be a great guy even then but then I digress).

Watching Southend United there are all sorts of memories - the ebb and flow of the mass crowd in the North stand when a goal went in, famously (for me!) sitting next to Alison Moyet and some bloke she was with at Charlton away one year (we drew 3-3 that day, coming from behind with Andy Ansah among the scorers), the misery of the pre-mobile phone/internet coach journey back from Port Vale after losing 5-0, you name it there are loads and loads of those memories.

Those memories are the fabric of me and are utterly cherished. There is nothing Ron, Covid, health or anything else could ever do to take those away from me.

Over to you: what’s your story, and if possible is there a song that speaks for you? Why is Southend/Southend United important to you? This is your opportunity to share with your fellow lovely Zoners.

That's a great read and I'll collect my thoughts. I have a feeling one of my top moments will be our return to The Hall on the 12th. Knowing my luck I'll get fun over in the car park by a Bentley as punishment for venting my frustrations at its owner.

Two other initial thoughts.

Is the Dave you mention Mr McSrciven?

And whole heartily agree reading Councillor/Mayor John Lamb. What a ****!

What does Southend mean to me? I started watching at 8 with family and we had a lot of connections with the club - Frank Gill was a family friend, my Nan's window cleaner Ken commentated for the blind. I went to uni in the 90s, and was lucky to catch us on TV every now and then. When I returned we were back in Div 4. I started going again, but wasnt really that bothered in the club. I started browsing on yahoo groups/shrimpers.net and SZ had just started. Mike had posted he had some VHS videos for grabs and I took a chance and met him in 2001ish to introduce myself. From there, I became the third partner of the site with Mike and Scriv, before Mike left to Spain, Leeboy came on board and Scriv moved to the club itself and it was just us two for a while. At this point with no site income, me and Leeboy were funding the site by ourselves.

Between 2001 and when I met my now wife and moved to Kent in 2005, I was on the Trust committee, I wrote a column for the programme, a column for the Echo, I was on Breeze Gold AM, Essex FM, BBC Essex. I played the first season for SZFC when we were really crap. I got Che to get a wedding card signed by the team for Leeboy's wedding. I've got drunk with many many players and I've been on all kinds of away trips and met all kinds of people. I got my brother in law back into supporting the club (Ldnfatso) and the club and its fans did us proud when he passed away.

Now I still write for the fanzine and I track down ex players for SUEPA - and some are now good friends. I dont get the chance to go to many games with our very busy lifestyle at the moment but I'll be back.

But a song - well, Young Girl by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap has been sung in various Northern hellholes. I associate that song with some great memories.

You can read more about me in a future home programme..

The club was a great anchor for me after leaving the town and subsequently losing the centre of our family, i.e. my Mum, in the mid-eighties. I still had some old friends back there though and got to see them sometimes when coming down from London for the games.

Moving to Cornwall in the early nineties punctured that somewhat but I tend to make a bit of a holiday around my infrequent trips back these days. I've really become fond of Rochford - although I was born there, I hardly spent any time there when I lived in Southend - and I like to stay there when I come back.

The 'Zone has also been an important part of my connection with the club and town. You guys keep me up to speed with developments that I'd have had no idea of and I've met some some cracking people and made some good friends through the 'Zone. Hoping to see them/you again at a few games later this season, all being well. ?

And a nice idea for a thread, Spaceman. ?

Back