• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What squad is better 04/05 or 11/12 ?

With our fantastic position at the quarter stage of the season it got me thinking of the last time we got promoted from league 2. We made an iffy start but it was about this time in the season we really got going. But my question is what squad would you think is the stronger one .

2004/2005

GK. Flahavan
LB. Duncan jupp
C.B. Barrett
C.B. Prior
R.B. Che wilson
L.M. Gower
C.M. Maher
C.M. Bentley
R.M Pettefer
S.T. Gray
S.T. Eastwood

SUBS

Griemink
Hunt
Nicolou
Edwards
Dudfield
Bramble

2011/2012

G.K. Morris
L.B. Gilbert
C.B. Barker
C.B. Phillips
R.B. Clohessy
L.M. Hall
C.M. Grant
C.M Ferdinand
R.M Timlin
S.T Harris
S.T Dickinson

SUBS
Bentley
Mohsni
Sawyer
Prosser
Kallala
Johnson
Sturrock

I actually think the squad we have now just edges it.

I hand it over to you ?

Great question and a very hard one to call. I think I'm coloured by the fact that the 04/05 squad lifted the first piece of silverwear I had seen us win and for that reason they edge it for me. This may change if the same question was asked in May. There's no doubting that the current squad has wonderful promise and could hold their own in a higher league...we'll see.

11/12 the Tilson squad is too reliant on Eastwood to get the majority of our goals, this season we have numerous people who can rely on to put the ball in the net

Player for player I think 2004/5 has the edge... although Jupp was right back and Wilson was left back IIRC.

However, as a team, I think this seasons is better. In 2004/5, if Eastwood had been injured or suspended we would struggle getting goals. That isn't the case nowas we don't rely on anyone. That's a fantastic position to be in.

Why is everyone saying Eastwood is the major factor. Mark Gower, Bentley and Wayne Gray all chipped in with the goals, Barrett also.

You have a great keeper in Darryl and the rock that is Spencer Prior. Only downside to Tillys side is full backs and I don't rate our full backs much so for me 04/05 for having Freddy, Darryl,Maher, Gower and Prior.

Tried to pick a combined starting XI from the two squads. Just trying to work out which 10 go with Maher !

We have a deeper squad now but we had two great seasons back then and the contributions from the likes of Juppy and Petts can't be ignored. Spinner and Barker at the back leaves no room for Phillips. Gower over Hall. This is impossible.

Why is everyone saying Eastwood is the major factor. Mark Gower, Bentley and Wayne Gray all chipped in with the goals, Barrett also.

You have a great keeper in Darryl and the rock that is Spencer Prior. Only downside to Tillys side is full backs and I don't rate our full backs much so for me 04/05 for having Freddy, Darryl,Maher, Gower and Prior.

Dave that team was nothing without eastwoods goals FACT mate look at our team now apart from eastwood and say gower who would you swap???

I'd say we have the better squad now. try removing any one player from the 2004/2005 side, and then look at their replacement. With the exception of Bart (>Flahavan) and Edwards we're looking at a major drop in class. Now, you can take several players out, and still have the likes of Sawyer, Kalala, Bil to come in, not to mention Corr when he gets back from injury.

I'd also say the 2004-05 squad looks a bit more defensive, whereas our current one has attacking options just about everywhere.

It's a far more balanced squad now, Freddy was a phenomenal and exceptional talent in that team, ably supported by Gower. I don't think there's anyone to match those two in what we've got now. Having said that though, it is the balance and strength in depth that makes what we've got now that little bit better now in my opinion. I don't particularly remember Dudfield or Bramble getting on and getting goals at that time whereas now you've got goals coming from all over the pitch. Surprised at Spinner and Barrett, wasn't Efe around in that squad? Those two for me, are the better centre back pairing by far.

I'd say it's way to early to judge, but I pretty much agree with DtS. Let's wait until the end of the season before judging, if this squad doesn't win promotion then all bets are off IMO.

It's a far more balanced squad now, Freddy was a phenomenal and exceptional talent in that team, ably supported by Gower. I don't think there's anyone to match those two in what we've got now. Having said that though, it is the balance and strength in depth that makes what we've got now that little bit better now in my opinion. I don't particularly remember Dudfield or Bramble getting on and getting goals at that time whereas now you've got goals coming from all over the pitch. Surprised at Spinner and Barrett, wasn't Efe around in that squad? Those two for me, are the better centre back pairing by far.

No, Sodje signed the next season in L1.

No, Sodje signed the next season in L1.

I thought he signed towards the end of the L2 season, because his main reason was that he wanted to be in a side that were looking good for promotion.

I thought he signed towards the end of the L2 season, because his main reason was that he wanted to be in a side that were looking good for promotion.
No, Beefy's right according to the SUFC database, although Andy Edwards was around in that season, which is why he's listed in those subs.

trying to pick a combined xi makes it look fairly even, i came up with:

Flavs

Clohessy
Barker
Prior
Gilbert

Hall
Maher
Grant
Gower

Eastwood
Dickinson

I'd have Jupp over Clohessy and Timlin over Maher. I personally could never see why managers thought Maher was so wonderful and tried to build a team around him. Even Goater says in his autobiography that Maher never fulfilled his potential. If Eastwood hadn't joined I really don't think we would have ever got promoted.

Maher was a great servant and a steady reliable player, but no more than that IMO.

I think only Prior, Gower and Eastwood would get into the team we have now.

I'd agree with that with the exception of Flahavan for Morris - surely even the most ardent Bart fan would have a Flahavan in his prime over Morris. They can't even come out with the "he's too short" rubbish either as Morris is no giant either.

That's not a slur on Morris who is a decent keeper at this level and has not let us down, but Flahavan was better no question.

I'd agree with that with the exception of Flahavan for Morris - surely even the most ardent Bart fan would have a Flahavan in his prime over Morris. They can't even come out with the "he's too short" rubbish either as Morris is no giant either.

That's not a slur on Morris who is a decent keeper at this level and has not let us down, but Flahavan was better no question.

Anybody who was at Crewe away and saw Morris tip that shot onto the post and wide will beg to differ

Griemink

Clohessy
Prior
Mohsni
Barker

Timlin
Ferdinand
Hall
Gower

Eastwood
Gray

Subs: Hunt, Phillips, Grant, Dickinson and Bentley or Sawyer.

I'd want Bilel's pace alongside Spinner, ditto Gray for Eastwood even though Dickinson is the better player.

That's not necessarily the best XI players, but I think would be the best combination.

Back