• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What the new manager needs to do...

Okay, so the obvious target is to come in and win enough games to keep us in League One this season ("no ****, Sherlock!"), so at the moment, I'm just thinking about the points target. Normally, we'd assume 50 points: last year we finished in 19th on 50 points and survived on goal difference while the previous 2 years would have required 51 points and 50 respectively.

But this year, there are two less games and only three teams will be relegated so we're into some new territory. With six less points on offer, what do we think will be the cut-off this season? 50 from 46 games is around 1.1 points per game - the same ratio on 44 games should mean roughly 48 points all other things being equal. Add another 1 point for our already ridiculous goal difference and I think we're realistically targeting 49 points to stay up this season.

Happy if someone wants to change my mind on that so we're all on the same page.

=====================

So how difficult is it/what form do we need then to get to 49 points from our remaining 33 games. With our cracking start of four points already in the bag(!!), that leaves 45 more points from 33. That's 1.36 points per game.

Over a normal (full quota of teams) season 1.36 points per game would give us roughly 63 points.
  • In 2018/19, the team on 63 points finished in 9th place.
  • In 2017/18, the team on 63 points finished in 10th place (that was US by the way!) with 11th on the same points just with a worse goal difference.
  • In 2016/17, the team on 63 points finished in 11th place.
So, we need the new manager to come in, understand the team, find his best players, find his system, galvanise the squad, address their confidence issues, eradicate the gaps in talent and commitment, find solutions where there are none with regards to lack of players for certain positional requirements, get them playing for him and then hit a rest-of-season form commensurate with finishing just above mid-table - in order to just about stay up.

I'm as optimistic as anyone on here but with the seriously flawed playing staff at our disposal, I think that's a frickin' tough ask!

Bolster the midfield in the next window, send the loanees back to their parent clubs, isolate the bad apples (if there are any) and make the players believe in themselves. As a whole they should be better and as I've said 99 points left to play for. Far from over.

Play players in their natural positions and don’t be afraid to drop players who aren’t delivering. I still think we’re capable of staying in contention till the window when a couple of really clever signings might make the difference. First job, get some togetherness and purpose and some much needed points on the board.

To be honest none of the above will be successful if the new manager doesn't have the ability to get into the head of the players.

As much as it will take an immense physical performance week in week out to get the number of points that are being quoted an equally Herculaen effort will be required to get the players minds refocused. The confidence levels are shot to bits at the moment. Concentration doesn't exists with some players which results in individual lapses which on a number of occasions have lead to goals.

Last season we conceded many late goals that led to us dropping vital points. This season it's been goals shortly after the half time interval.

We're not getting 49 more points this season - we might not even reach 30.
Hands up time, I dismissed some of the doom and gloom merchants earlier on this season as frankly doom and gloom merchants but we're into October now and it's just dreadful.
There's something rotten at the club and it's seriously dragging us down.
What the new manager needs to do?
How about have a serious MH assessment if you're thinking of coming here.

The new manager needs to come in. Stamp authority. Raise morale. Bond the team so that they fight for each other.

Go back to basics. Get the fundamentals right. And get the team giving 100%

Do that and we have a chance to move up the table.

We are not done. A couple of wins and we are there again.

Belief is what's needed.

For me I think it boils down to injecting some positivity, fun, team ethic, pride in the shirt and in personal performances, simple tactics and round pegs in round holes. Hopper will help when he’s back in the side. Then in January some further work needs doing on the squad but I’d hope we’ll be out of the relegation zone (just, probably the best we can hope) by then.

For me, that says Barrett all over it and it’s really about time Ron stopped sodding about and appointed him.

Pick up the spare man, use the width of the park and let the ball do the work.
You've got to hold and give
But do it at the right time
You can be slow or fast
But you must get to the line
They'll always hit you and hurt you
Defend and attack
There's only one way to beat them
Get round the back

I am really worried that Larsson will get the job and things will only get worse. The pessimism that comes from supporting the shrimpers for over 50 years. ?

I am really worried that Larsson will get the job and things will only get worse. The pessimism that comes from supporting the shrimpers for over 50 years. ?
Your worried that one of the best european players of all time could be managing southend! Seriously?

KB, imo, tried to make a major, immediate culture change around the squad, and what might be lax practices and loose discipline, that approach, as he did it, wasn't a success and caused more problems.
The new manager will have more power, as Ron's appointment will be a more telling endorsement that the hesitant hiring of KB.
A carrot and stick approach needs working out, get some tough training in, mix it up, take the squad, for example, to a few days with the Paras or Marines etc.
We are out of the cups so use the time well.
Most importantly start honest with them as a team and individuals.

A carrot and stick approach needs working out, get some tough training in, mix it up, take the squad, for example, to a few days with the Paras or Marines etc.
We are out of the cups so use the time well.
Most importantly start honest with them as a team and individuals.

I get what you are saying but that would be risky - they'd get injuries galore !

Get them fit to begin with ,i mean fit to run for 100 minutes .Be honest and open with them ,demand 100% effort,let them know and understand the formation you will be adopting.Dont put up with slackers,Weed out any troublemakers if there are any.Be accessible to the players ,make them understand that they can confide in you and there wont be any repercussions,make them feel like it is a family and they will look after each other,make the change room a happy place to be.

I get what you are saying but that would be risky - they'd get injuries galore !
It is more about team building and trust than jumping out of planes. Some esprit de Corp is needed, some leadership and some personal pride.

I’d go straight in and do away with the days off and the leaving at lunchtime.

I’d be perfectly frank with them and tell them this is how it’s gonna be and they can suck it up or sling their hooks.

They’d have double sessions Monday to Wednesday. Hard high intensity work all morning, football technical work early PM and a gym session two of the three days. Thursday and Friday it would be tactical and shape work all morning with some lighter football technical work again in the afternoons.

I’d make it clear that the benefits of this won’t be seen for 4 weeks but that until then everything was monitored and levels measured and anyone below a certain level of distances covered, high intensity speeds and heart rates and falling below measured levels would automatically not be available for selection.

We are unfit physically and mentally and this affects quality levels, decision making and desire....most importantly its impossible to not feel more confident when you know you’ve worked hard and done all you can to control the controllables.

We’d soon find out who wants to be on the bus and who doesn’t.

Get a midfielder who can tackle the opposition
Get a winger who can play football
Get a right back
Instill some defensive discipline

That’s like answering “go faster” when asked how you’re gonna win a race!!

What’s the use of having a winger who can play football when your CBs and GK endlessly boot the ball into touch or over your left wingers head all game?

Back