• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What traditions do you keep at Christmas?

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
As it's Christmas Eve, I thought it would be interesting to read about Zoners' family traditions at Christmas time, maybe some from when you were a child, maybe some if you have children now.

As the eldest grandchild, I got to "enjoy" the strictest of my grandad's rules - no presents until after the Queen's speech! By the time grandchildren 3, 4 and 5 had come along, this had been brought forward to 11 a.m. - coffee time! I kept this up with my own children, although coffee time got a bit earlier - 10 a.m. which is when my parents and my sister would come round (or we'd be at theirs, as we took it in turns to do Christmas Day). I always liked to share the joy of watching kids open their presents - can't beat it when you know you have exactly the present they wanted most in the whole wide world!

We always had our Christmas stockings, but had to wait for main presents, and my kids have been quite happy with carrying on with that, yet I know plenty of people just rip into the presents under the tree when they get up.

Our presents mount up under the tree in the build up to Christmas, but I know some families have nothing under their trees and leave it to "Father Christmas" has left them on Christmas Eve.

My daughter also always has to have a new pair of pyjamas on Christmas Eve! 19 now, and still likes that tradition! :smile:

Enjoy your traditions whatever they are - Happy Christmas!

As it's Christmas Eve, I thought it would be interesting to read about Zoners' family traditions at Christmas time, maybe some from when you were a child, maybe some if you have children now.

As the eldest grandchild, I got to "enjoy" the strictest of my grandad's rules - no presents until after the Queen's speech! By the time grandchildren 3, 4 and 5 had come along, this had been brought forward to 11 a.m. - coffee time! I kept this up with my own children, although coffee time got a bit earlier - 10 a.m. which is when my parents and my sister would come round (or we'd be at theirs, as we took it in turns to do Christmas Day). I always liked to share the joy of watching kids open their presents - can't beat it when you know you have exactly the present they wanted most in the whole wide world!

We always had our Christmas stockings, but had to wait for main presents, and my kids have been quite happy with carrying on with that, yet I know plenty of people just rip into the presents under the tree when they get up.

Our presents mount up under the tree in the build up to Christmas, but I know some families have nothing under their trees and leave it to "Father Christmas" has left them on Christmas Eve.

My daughter also always has to have a new pair of pyjamas on Christmas Eve! 19 now, and still likes that tradition! :smile:

Enjoy your traditions whatever they are - Happy Christmas!

I do exactly the same with both of mine.
My wife goes to a chrisdingle service with the kids and my xmas tradition is not to go to it

My tradition is to buy way too much food and stuff me and the rest of the hoard stupid. As I'm working Christmas night, I have brought that forward a tad and am eyeing up the mince pies while I type.

I always listen to The Auteurs 'How I Learned to Love the Bootboys' album on my way home on Xmas Eve. Been doing it since 1999. Don't know why. I always really look forward to it though.

The saturday before the birth of our saviour i take the kids to the big city to buy mums presents from them,did it in 2 hours this year and they are all killer no filler.

I have a traditional Xmas involving getting ripped to the tits on Advocaat and watching The Poseidon Adventure followed by The Towering Inferno.

Watching Gremlins on Christmas Eve while wrapping the last few presents and getting stuck in to some port.

Well until today i used to go to the Jewish Bakers in brick lane and get a salt beef bagel for breakfast before work. Didn't go in today as i thought the trains were stuffed.

Traditionally I have worked part of Xmas day since 2000, either for the NHS, various care homes, home help agencies or as a taxi driver. However this year it ends, im currently sitting indoors doing nothing at all and will be doing the same tomorrow.

in germany,like the royal family still do, they exchange presents christmas eve evening...we do that with the in-laws, but my wife & family( wife is german,kids born in gb,but both more german noe:nope:),we exchange our presents christmas day,morning,wife thinks its good so:smile:,it is also a lot better way ,if you have young children(father christmas is coming tonight),love it..we have now, no longer little children,both now in thier 20s,so rather old...but if any "bird" is wishing to try to " make" another one!!i will try my best:smile:

Watching Gremlins on Christmas Eve while wrapping the last few presents and getting stuck in to some port.

Gremlins is a bloody fantastic Christmas film.

I love the cinema scene where some of the gremlins have made balaclavas from popcorn boxes and drink cups.

Home made sausage rolls, home made mince pies, home made Xmas cake, drinks on Xmas Eve, Christingle service, turkey curry, presents open as soon as they get up, whilst we have a glass of cava.

My dad and I have played Table Tennis on Xmas Morning for 20+ years now. Think I'm unbeaten for at least 15 years now.

Back