• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What we're really missing - a Spencer Prior type

Sussex Shrimper

Manager
It's too easy to cry "disgrace" after games like last night's. Let's try to be constructive and pinpoint what went wrong.

The thing that stood out to me from the South Upper was the ease with which the defence got dragged all over the place. Sankofa in particular looks like the kind of player who relies on his pace to get himself out of trouble - all well and good for him, but not much help to the other players who get dragged out of position as a result.

If I could (hypothetically) bring back one player from our recent past to help out this season, it'd be Spinner. His legs had gone, but with him in the side the defence played as a unit, and even with him alongside Barrett - another fairly immobile centre back - we looked reasonably solid. The partnership worked. Spinner was the calm organiser, dominant in the air, and Barrett was the last ditch tackler willing to throw himself in front of anything. It also helped that both players were at least competent on the ball, and that we weren't giving it straight back to the opposition.

A few other random points from yesterday:

Anti-Mildenhall chanters - please **** off and bully somebody else. Our club doesn't need your sort and the Blue Voice don't deserve to have their image tarred by you.

Walker - quality player, who can go on to be a real star for us, IMO.

Christophe - looked good to me. Gave us a greater presence in midfield and generally kept things simple.

The formation - I'm all for the interchange of positions and mobility of attacking players, but I'm not sure why we need such a top-heavy squad if we're looking at one up-front with three supporting. Where would Freedman fit into that?

Back