• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What would League 2 mean?

Whatever the implications of a drop into League 2 would mean (and I'm not going to accept that we're relegation certainties for a while yet), we'd better be prepared for them should this occur.

Its a fact of life that every year 4 L1 teams will find themselves relegated to L2 which means that there's always a fairly good chance that it'll happen. If we have a plan that means relegation to L2 is the end of the road then we're in bigger trouble than I believe.

On a personal note, I'd be disappointed but would get over it. There'd be some new grounds to visit as well as some old favourites. A mate of mine is a Luton Town supporter and he's having good fun this season even though they dropped out of the league altogether (interestingly their crowds have held up well too in the face of adversity; they seem to be averaging 6/7000 at home each week).

So relegation would feel like the end of the world for a month or 2 (like it has whenever it's occured before) but I don't think it'd be a permanent "Game Over", rather "Game Over, Try Again".

Considering we have spent 22 of the last 45 years and 66 of the 87 years we have been in the league, in the bottom division I would say it means we are back in familiar territory

If admin is in the thoughts of RM then I'd hope that whatever exit strategy he's got is put in place ASAP like with Leeds.

If we did take the minus 10, it's imperative we accept we're down this season and start 10/11 with a fresh slate, solvent and able to sign players PERMANENTLY. We cannot afford to treadwater in L2 like Rotherham or even worse fail yet again like Luton and end up in the Blue Sq Premier. If L2 is our destiny we need an immediate return like Hartlepool & Swindon did a couple of years ago.

Also, if we are in L2, RM will have hardly any allies left amongst the faithful and find any little obstacle turn into long and vociferous protests I'd imagine.

When you look at this with a logical mindset and putting aside the passion and heartfelt angst do you really think Ron Martin would have given HMRC 2 million pounds and then go into administration 6 months later? If there was any chance of it happening he wouldnt have paid.

As for what would happen, Bournemouth are set to a return to League One and were worse off than we were.

League Two would be a big blow as a club of our size should be in League One, but its not exactly beyond us to be there as we have sat in that division for huge parts of our existence.

Agree with your last comment though, if it happens Ron Martin's reputation will be shot to pieces and he will be in for a tough time going forward.

Administration would mean the end of RM as he would effectively lose his stake in the club, which would undoubtedly mean the end of the new ground unless the administrators found a buyer wishing to invest in the new ground. In league 2 that may be a hard sell. I for one think that relegation would be a disaster and as we dont know what the hell is actually going on behind the scenes, vis a vis wages being paid etc. then we could well be seeing a slow lingering death! At least if administrators come in they would unravell all of Uncle Ron's intra company transfers, if indeed there are any!!! I prefer however to stay positive and say thast if the players are willing to fight as hard as they did last night, then we have every chance of staying in this division and hopefully we can start to rebuild next season!

When you look at this with a logical mindset and putting aside the passion and heartfelt angst do you really think Ron Martin would have given HMRC 2 million pounds and then go into administration 6 months later? If there was any chance of it happening he wouldnt have paid.

As for what would happen, Bournemouth are set to a return to League One and were worse off than we were.

League Two would be a big blow as a club of our size should be in League One, but its not exactly beyond us to be there as we have sat in that division for huge parts of our existence.

Agree with your last comment though, if it happens Ron Martin's reputation will be shot to pieces and he will be in for a tough time going forward.

Fair enough I suppose. I am seeing things from whatever the opposite of rase tinted spectacles are today! I do like the way we always seem to be at polar ends of opinion though, so thanks for agreeing with at least one thing.

What does worry me though is the reported "we're too good to go down" mentality eminating from certain people at RH though.

Fair enough I suppose. I am seeing things from whatever the opposite of rase tinted spectacles are today! I do like the way we always seem to be at polar ends of opinion though, so thanks for agreeing with at least one thing.

What does worry me though is the reported "we're too good to go down" mentality eminating from certain people at RH though.

Heres to another agreement then, we ar e not too good to go down, we havent won since before Christmas and have lost our goalscorer, we are certainly bad enough on current form!

With rose tinted specs on though, we did sort out our squad in January, we have only really played teams we expected to get litte from on February (except Tranmere).

So we havent been too good to go down up until now, its down to the team and Tilson to prove they are too good from March onwards.

Heres to another agreement then, we ar e not too good to go down, we havent won since before Christmas and have lost our goalscorer, we are certainly bad enough on current form!

With rose tinted specs on though, we did sort out our squad in January, we have only really played teams we expected to get litte from on February (except Tranmere).

So we havent been too good to go down up until now, its down to the team and Tilson to prove they are too good from March onwards.

We beat Orient after Christmas and do you not think we should have beaten Wycombe?

Playing devils advocate it could be a good thing.

We would be one of the biggest sides if not the biggest at that level. If we were succesful we would get good crowds as causual people come to watch wins. we have a chance to clear out the dead wood at the club and start again.

I hope we stay up but we have been down before and come back up so im not going to worry.

Playing devils advocate it could be a good thing.

We would be one of the biggest sides if not the biggest at that level. If we were succesful we would get good crowds as causual people come to watch wins. we have a chance to clear out the dead wood at the club and start again.

I hope we stay up but we have been down before and come back up so im not going to worry.

thats definitely the most idyllic situation, the alternative is just rotting away and getting turned over by smaller teams!
maybe im in complete denial, but i just think we have to stay up, and can!

Shrewsbury instead of Swindon, Daggers instead of Walsall, Lincoln instead of Tranmere. Either way, I'll still be far more interested in watching us than the opposition. Who's likely to be in this division next year that we'd really look forward to playing?

On the other hand, we might win a few more and make a start towards regenerating the feelgood factor of a few short years ago.

Given that we're historically a basement club it always surprises me how many people seem to see League 2 as being beneath us. I started watching at that level, and I consider everything that has happened since to be a free upgrade. I support the club that represents the area that I grew up in and I'd do so down into non-league in the unlikely event that it ever came to that. I'm not much of a fan if I'll happily watch us go up and then baulk as soon as we go down.

I'm Southend and proud of it - a pride that no short term setback is going to extinguish.

What players would still be in contract with the club? I know we have Grant, Patterson and Spencer but not sure on the others. So those who don't want to play at a lower level they can bugger off and give some of the others a chance. Then add that the non-league players who Tilly will monitor will not have such a lower skill level so getting players shouldn't be a problem.
In fact getting relegated could help with releasing the deadwood in the team which in turn saves money on wages which would then be spent on either onions for the burgers or players that actually want to play for the club.

Shrewsbury instead of Swindon, Daggers instead of Walsall, Lincoln instead of Tranmere. Either way, I'll still be far more interested in watching us than the opposition. Who's likely to be in this division next year that we'd really look forward to playing?

On the other hand, we might win a few more and make a start towards regenerating the feelgood factor of a few short years ago.

Given that we're historically a basement club it always surprises me how many people seem to see League 2 as being beneath us. I started watching at that level, and I consider everything that has happened since to be a free upgrade. I support the club that represents the area that I grew up in and I'd do so down into non-league in the unlikely event that it ever came to that. I'm not much of a fan if I'll happily watch us go up and then baulk as soon as we go down.

I'm Southend and proud of it - a pride that no short term setback is going to extinguish.

Well said that man.

Well said Sussex your team is your team Premier league or Blue Square it makes no difference to real supporters like you. I dont think your lads will go down anyway you have enough quality about you to avoid the drop, one decent win and others will follow confidence breeds success. Many of those sides in the mix down there have some tough gigs to come in the next couple of months, Brighton Wycombe, Tranmere and Orient all have to come to the WHCS as yet, I am not saying they will lose but a few of them may drown!

Remind us what that is like C&p ?? :p :whistling:

I know nothing about the Blue Square mate

but a lot about the Vauxhall Conference;)

Having said that what seemed to be a nightmare at the time led to 2 very enjoyable seasons down there, to say nothing of the trip to Wembley in the FA Trophy final and of course the battles with Wycombe!

I know nothing about the Blue Square mate

but a lot about the Vauxhall Conference;)

Having said that what seemed to be a nightmare at the time led to 2 very enjoyable seasons down there, to say nothing of the trip to Wembley in the FA Trophy final and of course the battles with Wycombe!

Different league nowadays, back then i believe yourselves, Darlo and Lincoln all bounced back at the first or second time of asking, i think it took Hereford 9 years, York are only just mounting a challenge this year and Cambridge are nearer the drop zone than the play offs .. half the league is made up of one time long time established football league clubs

Back