• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperton

Manager
Tooooo much doom & gloom on here, Ron this Ron that, Brown this Brown that, so lets get away from that for 2 minutes & pretend that you are running SUFC with a lottery win, lets face it, IT COULD BE YOU!!!

So, its Saturday night & you have just scooped £50 million on a rollover lottery win......... Ron calls you and begs you take the noose from around his neck........

How much would you pay Ron to do one?
Who would you employ as manager or would you manage it yourself or keep Brown?
How much would u put in the transfer kitty & Who would you buy?
Would you improve Roots Hall or move the club?
Ticket Prices, higher or lower?

Be interesting to hear how some of us fans would run it & how long before we are calling for your head & Ron to come back :smile:

If I won 100 million on the euro millions I would finish Fossetts. We would be a very attractive club with a good stadium and no debts. Makes no sense to do anything with Roots Hall.

If I won 10 million quid I would touch it with a barge pole, you might as well burn it.

Brown wouldnt be here Id want someone with a long term plan.

If I won 100 million on the euro millions I would finish Fossetts. We would be a very attractive club with a good stadium and no debts. Makes no sense to do anything with Roots Hall.

If I won 10 million quid I would touch it with a barge pole, you might as well burn it.

Brown wouldnt be here Id want someone with a long term plan.

I agree with this. In summary, the problem we face needs an awful lot of money to resolve itself, however that may be, and I think I would need the bare minimum of £50mm in my pocket to even think about trying.

Let's face it, none of us know the financial details so we don't know what it would take. But, as with Jam Man, I'd want a sustainable club. That means building Fossetts (or simillar) with all income streams going into the club and further investment in the youth dept.

Managerial wise...I'd sick with Brown for the time being, or at least hear what he had to say about his vision and how that could work with my vision for the club. I think stability is important and it's his job at this moment, and it would be interesting to see what he could do under different circumstances. If it went wrong, there's so many managers with good trackrecords out there and available. One thing is for sure, I would never appoint Glenn Roeder.

And I'd try and find a role for club legends like Tilly, if they were interested.

Transfer wise, it's all about sustainability and working within budgets. There would be no massive spend at the start but if my manager wanted a player I would always try and make the money available. In 5 years time it would be the aim to be back in the Championship, but if not certainly trying to challenge at the top end of League 1.

How much would you pay Ron to do one? A peppercorn or other nominal amount
Who would you employ as manager or would you manage it yourself or keep Brown? When making the next appointment I'd consider internal applications first before, if necessary, advertising and employ headhunters.
How much would u put in the transfer kitty & Who would you buy? Nothing. Transfer decisions to be made by manager.
Would you improve Roots Hall or move the club? Move
Ticket Prices, higher or lower? Both, as I'd introduce some form of differential pricing.

I'd bribe Ron Martin to leave his post with a fleet of cleaners and a shipping container of L'Oreal and then start building for the future.

I'd invest in the youth setup and get us to academy status, then hire some decent scouts and scoure non-league looking for the next young Eastwood's, Hooper's and Kightly's.

I would then try and get us our move to Fossetts Farm and try and clear all of our debt, whilst appointing Steve Tilson as non-executive director and Adam Barrett as academy coach.

I wouldn't blow a load of money on overpaid primadonna's and become a League 2 Man City, I'd be astute with the purchases and build us from the ground up, ensuring we never live beyond our means :thumbsup:

As stated in another post, £100m on the euromillions i would have to find a way to invest the money efficiently such as living off of the interest!

Would clear all debts, build FF, sack brown, appoint myself, change our crest to my face and bring back the yellow and blue kit

Would then erect a statue of Barrington Belgrave outside the stadium, and then a statue of Michael Jackson outside the family enclosure!

I would buy Matt Harrold and let BBBC use him as a punch bag

My manager would be Ian Dowie because i feel he is brilliant and would be in it for the long run! His #2 would be Coughlan of course!

Oh, and i would serve better food! AND BURN THE EAST STAND WOODEN SEATS!

Any money left over i would just use on top top players at this level, such as Prosser deserving a new contract.. And Craig Reid a "No Goal Scored" Bonus, which i think he would exploit!

EDIT - A prayer room to pray at the feet of our lord, Big Bad Baz

You would need £100,000,000 as a minimum win to think about it.

Honestly, I would ask for a meeting with Ron to see exactly what was going on, and work out what I would need to offer to get rid.

I would get the new ground done (all 4 sides).

Would let Brown stay for now, and see what he could do without the constraints he is working under.

I wouldn't put X in the transfer kitty, you don't need to spend big to do well at this level. However, if there was a player who would be a reasonable fee, my door would be open.

I would be very keen to up the funding for the youth system, they have done a great job in recent years with what they have, so I would look to up that.

Ultimately, I would want our club to become sustainable.

Ticket prices - both, intorducing pricing levels rather than what we have now.

Also, I would be annonomous in all of this, would want you lot shouting at me to by this player and that player while I'm trying to watch the game!

Erm - irrelevant. RM won't sell. Also, I love Southend, but I wouldn't touch this club with a barge pole. Hero one minute, scum bag the next I should imagine if I didn't deliver success on success on success. I would suggest that if Southend fans knew the owner had won 100million and was a Southend fan, they would expect said person to plunge all said winnings into the Club !!

Sorry, but at Southend , damned if you do, damned if you don't

NB ; this is not a thought supporting current regime, just a reflection on the continued ridiculous expectations .

every one has a price.

Yes - the club has a ceiling value - as of today, that Ron won't accept . Ask the famous consortium if they think that Southend has a price that Ron will say yes too ? I say no , there isn't a price for this sale.

Yes - the club has a ceiling value - as of today, that Ron won't accept . Ask the famous consortium if they think that Southend has a price that Ron will say yes too ? I say no , there isn't a price for this sale.

But they only offered him £1.

So if you offered Ron £50m to take Southend and the FF development off his hands he would say no?

Lol. When it's your own cash everyone would do what Ron is. With 100 mill I doubt anyone would go near Southend
Ask the last few guys who did it with crystal palace.

But they only offered him £1.

Because as a business proposition it's only worth a quid - if you include debts and the cost of the build of the new ground. Whereas Ron sees that if FF comes off, he stands to make a fortune - a new purchaser won't get the same return for outlay !

But that's the point - no one will offer him 50mill !!!

You just said there isn't a price he would sell. Of course no-one will offer that, but I was giving you an example that if a silly offer came in then he would sell.

Back