• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Whats football like where you are?

Dept36

1.WHERE-Central France.
2.DIVISON-Ligue 2
3.GETTING THERE-A hour drive during which if i pass 10 cars its been a busy drive.
4.PARKING-Right next to the ground and free.
5.ENTRANCE PRICE-9 euros for me and 4.50 for my son for seats behind the goal,so that about £6 and £3,bit steep i feel.
6.FOOD-Chips in a cone with 2 sausages 5 euros,coke 3 euros,beer 3 euros.
7.ATMOSPHERE-None,deader than death itself,15 so called ultras standing and singing the whole game,bless them.
8.ATTENDANCE-Normally 6 to 7 thousand,friday was the last home game so went up to 11 thousand.
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND-For being a paying customer id say 9 out of ten,for passion and general football 4 out of ten.
So whats football like in your part of the world i.e Brazil{ben},spain{mike,phil},usa,austrailia,holland{was einstein},scotland.

CD JAVEA

1.WHERE - Costa Blanca, Spain.

2.DIVISON - Regional Preferente Grupo IV (Equiv. Conference)

3.GETTING THERE - Ten minutes from door to door but usually about three hours because we stop for a few beers en route!

4.PARKING - Modest car park (free) and plenty of street parking. The Spanish park all over the place and it's not unusual to find the road completely blocked by cars after the match. But they take it in their stride, wait patiently for a gap, and then head off home.

5.ENTRANCE PRICE - For me, it's effectively free because I am a 'socio' of the football club, a member who has voting rights, etc. But I pay €120 for that privilege, although it does include my other half so there are savings but there is an outlay. Normally it's €8 for men, €5 for women and seniors whilst the under 16s get in for free.

6.FOOD & DRINK - Very delicious bocadillos with various fillings €2.20, pasties with various fillings €3.50, beer €1, soft drink €1.

7.ATMOSPHERE - It's getting better. The Spanish love to sit and chat whilst the game is going on the background but we've tried to build a decent little atmosphere this season, even through the team is ****e. Our last home game was probably the best atmosphere I've heard for a long time but mainly down to the JAVEAMIGOS encouraging everyone by marching around the stand with a huge drum and alcohol-fuelled voices.

8.ATTENDANCE - The average hovers around the 600 mark this season, well down on previous campaigns because of the relegation battle, although we broke the 1,000 mark against CD La Nucia back in October. However, the Spanish fan is worse than the English when it comes to fickleness. (It's likely to be over 1,000 for our last home game of the season next Sunday as the match is being played just before the final of the international youth tournament featuring Manchester City, Villarreal CF and Alicante CF.)

9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND - I would give 10/10 for the value and the fun; we returned from a long trip south yesterday where we played Albatera CF - we won 2-1 (our first away win since September!) and we outsung the home fans from beginning to end - and we all agreed that we'd not had such fun for a long time! For quality of football I'd give a very middle-of-the-road 5/10; it can be a very high standard (like yesterday) and certainly as good as anything I've seen in the upper echelons of the Football League; but it can also be absolute ****e and make a Sunday morning kickabout in the park look skillful! For the atmosphere I'd give 6/10 and probably no better or no worse than a lethargic Roots Hall at times. Oh! and 10/10 for the fact that you can drink in the stands and stand, jump about, gesture, and hurl abuse without an army of security guards descending on you!

Last edited:
I live in Southend.
If you don't know what the football is like here then you shouldn't be on this site!

Nearest club: Leyton Orient.

Where: East-end of London, innit?

Division: They completly over-achieved and finished one place above the league 1 relegation zone.

Getting There: I don't believe anybody goes there on purpose, they sort of arrive by osmosis from the central line.

Parking: Don't, you'll never see your car again.

Entrance Price: Well, since Brisbane road is only half a ground, you'd think they would charge half price but it doesn't seem to work like that.

Food & Drink: Shockingly bad. Orient fans come down to Old Leigh in their droves in the summer to eat cockles, mussels and Jellied Eels as they are considered delicacies to the Cockney palette.

Atmosphere: breathable, unfortunately.

Attendance: I can only assume it's compulsory otherwise nobody would ever go there.

Score out of 10 compared to watching Southend: Since the only times I ever go there is to watch the O's vs Southend, then 0/10 because we keep losing to silly own goals.

Nearest league ground to me would be one of Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Cardiff or Swindon.

Never been to Rovers or Cardiff, so can't comment on those, but Swindon was full of tripe! £45 tickets for half a match!? (bloody traffic)! City was alright, even if the Shrimpers were a little maniacal. But, I'll let them off seeing as Fred did score a hat.

Traffic to all three would probably be fair at best. Food's good at City, didn't have anything at Swindon, they'd already swindled me out of enough cash. Atmosphere at City was great, Swindon was a bit meh, but I didn't really get into the game because I missed the good bit. Score out of ten: 6.

Nearest non-league'd be Gloucester City, but I've never been there.

Orient are also my closest league club (at least by number of tube stops, West Ham might actually be closer).

One of the things I like about living where I do is that, unlike when I use to live in Southend, there seem to be more Southend fans than West Ham/Orient fans about.

Maldon Town FC

1.WHERE- Maldon.
2.DIVISON- Ryman Div 1 (North)
3.GETTING THERE- A nice 20 minute walk
4.PARKING- Loads.
5.ENTRANCE PRICE- £8
6.FOOD- Fantastic Burgers!
7.ATMOSPHERE- None
8.ATTENDANCE- 80-100
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND- About 1

WHERE- Santos, Brasil.

2.DIVISON- Serie A.

3.GETTING THERE- Depending if they play at Morumbi (Sao Paulo City) which will take me anything from 10 minuted to two hours with this cities traffic or 45 minutes to 3 hours when they play in Santos which is on the coast.

4.PARKING- Pain in the ****.

5.ENTRANCE PRICE- £6 more or less.

6.FOOD- Pretty decent.

7.ATMOSPHERE- When its busy and against a local team its superb but with Brasil beng such a big country that is rare.

8.ATTENDANCE- 15.000 - 70.000.
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND- 3

1.WHERE- nearest club is Millwall, SE London
2.DIVISON - League One
3.GETTING THERE - About 40 minutes' walk through some of SE London's less salubrious districts
4.PARKING - only those looking to have their car done over would drive.
5.ENTRANCE PRICE - £19-£26
6.FOOD - Lord only knows. That said, there are some cracking pubs in Greenwich which are well worth having a couple of pints in.
7.ATMOSPHERE - hostile
8.ATTENDANCE- 9,234 average last season (compares to our 10,024)
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND - minus 350.

Being Exiled in Eastbourne, I've got the choice of

Eastbourne Borough
Conference South Side, Only just missed out on a play-off spot this season and are looking to build on that next season. The ground is good enough for the conference and they should probably look to be in their soon enough. Probably on a par size wise with Grays.

Eastbourne Town
Just finished Champions of the Sussex Football League and have been promoted to Ryman Division 1, i think. Been to watch them a few times as its 3 minutes walk from where i live and it's not that bad. £2.50 to get in and its not bad at all for their level... the oldest football club in Sussex. Good fun, and they've got a cracking little player called Baitup. Popped up out of nowhere and lashed it into the crossbar from 30 yards out and scored 8 goals in his first 3 games this season... Looking at him, he's definitely of League Quality.

Then you've got the Scum from Hove. Less said about them the better i think, but I'll give it a quick summary.

Club - Minnow
Ground - What Ground?
Fans - If they're to be seen, They're probably tossers

Can't wait to give them a pasting next season.

1)Where: Colorado Rapids- Denver, Colorado

2)Division: Major League Soccer

3)Getting There: About a 30 minute drive, ending in the less than desirable Commerce City.

4)Parking: Cheap and safe

5)Price: Varies, $10-30 depending on where you sit.

6)Food: Average

7)Atmosphere: Surprisngly decent, too many kids to make it great though.

8)Attendance: 15,000-20,000

9)Overall: A great, brand new stadium, the area it is in isn't the nicest, but only about a ten minute drive from Downtown Denver. Does have some fairly hardcore supporters, but mostly just families who look clueless as to what they are watching. Compared to watching Southend 3/10.

1.WHERE- Leigh Ramblers Under 9 Lions
2.DIVISON - Division One
3.GETTING THERE - 10 mins
4.PARKING - Free
5.ENTRANCE PRICE - Free
6.FOOD - Take your own.
7.ATMOSPHERE - Friendly
8.ATTENDANCE- 25 to 30.
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND - 10:)

1.WHERE- Brighton
2.DIVISON- Same as us sadly.
3.GETTING THERE-Can walk it from home in about 20 mins if I had too.
4.PARKING-Dont know - Poor I reckon
5.ENTRANCE PRICE-Refuse to go as I hate them. Any costs would be too much.
6.FOOD- The locals seem to like a local dish called "Spunky Sandwich" but I personally dont have any desire to try that one.
7.ATMOSPHERE- More on the moon.
8.ATTENDANCE- When they did well everyone came out the woodwork, now crap.
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND- Nil

Cheltenham Town FC

1.WHERE- Cheltenham
2.DIVISON- League 1
3.GETTING THERE- 10-15 min walk
4.PARKING- Racecourse (Jump on a park and ride) or just round corner from ground.
5.ENTRANCE PRICE- £11/£18
6.FOOD- Not bad
7.ATMOSPHERE- Very good in the home terracing.
8.ATTENDANCE- Usually about 4000+
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND- About 5

1.WHERE- nearest club is Millwall, SE London
2.DIVISON - League One
3.GETTING THERE - About 40 minutes' walk through some of SE London's less salubrious districts
4.PARKING - only those looking to have their car done over would drive.
5.ENTRANCE PRICE - £19-£26
6.FOOD - Lord only knows. That said, there are some cracking pubs in Greenwich which are well worth having a couple of pints in.
7.ATMOSPHERE - hostile
8.ATTENDANCE- 9,234 average last season (compares to our 10,024)
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND - minus 350.

ditto, except I'm further from the cracking pubs in Greenwich. sigh.

Nearest League Club is either Palace or Charlton. Milwall is slightly further out, as is Gillingham

Charlton's not a bad club, but they get a lot of stick in Kent for offering subsidised coaches for supporters to travel from Kent to Charlton, which annoys Gillingham

Nearest non-league side at a decent level is Tonbridge Angels. They came 11th in the Isthmian League Premier Division, one below Conference South, and were runners-up in the Kent Senior Cup and their main striker Jon Main has had trials with some League clubs. Never been to a game, but all the locals support either Palace, Millwall, Gillingham or Charlton.

1.WHERE- nearest club is Tonbridge Angels
2.DIVISON - Isthmian League Premier
3.GETTING THERE - 5 minutes drive round the corner
4.PARKING - aparently pretty good - 300 spaces
5.ENTRANCE PRICE - £8
6.FOOD - 2 Burger Vans + Longmead Lounge (Bar Area)
7.ATMOSPHERE - don't know
8.ATTENDANCE- record attendance 8,000 over 50 years ago
9.SCORE OUT OF TEN COMPARED TO WATCHING SOUTHEND - dunno

Tonbridge%20east%20side.png

Last edited:
Back