• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What's happening?

Is there a bad atmosphere on in the 'zone at the moment?

• Yes - things have definitely taken a turn for the worse

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Yes - but it's always been like that

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • No - it's all peace and love on here, don't know what you're talking about

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • No - just the usual banter that goes on

Votes: 11 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Manager

formerly Libertine
Perhaps it's my imagination but viewing from afar there seems to be a bit of a bad atmosphere on SZ at the moment. Of course there's always been differences of opinion, that's the nature of a discussion forum, but just lately there seems to be some real divisions. Even jolly mods and owners, some of whom I know personally and are genuinely laid back and easy going people, are taking the bait.

Maybe I'm misreading the situation and in fact it's just 'in-crowd' banter about which you all laugh about over your pints pre-match. Being on the other side of the world I'm obviously out of that loop so that could be the case.

I sincerely hope this thread doesn't degenerate into an ugly airing of any differences there may be - that certainly isn't my intention. It's just a genuine enquiry, am I seeing things that aren't there?

Things have changed but I guess that happens with any forum - what I'm concerned about is the number of respected posters who have now decided this is no longer the place for them.

are they?, or will others fill thier boots?. things go round in circles, and I'm sure in a few months time the forum will be back as it was before.

People get bored and move on, circumstances change etc..and change is good. Embrace it. Vive la difference!

I'm not talking about those who have been removed from their site because of their own actions rather those who have chosen to stop visiting it because of changes that have come over it.

Things have changed but I guess that happens with any forum - what I'm concerned about is the number of respected posters who have now decided this is no longer the place for them.

I'm sorry Kay but that's a ridiculous exaggeration. People come, people go - it's a website forum. We'll always lose a handful of members but thankfully we're gaining many, MANY more.

The records seem to go back to 2003 but here's some stats from the last 15 months:

Threads
November 07: 31,647
February 09: 46,794

That's a 50% increase in threads in fifteen months.

February 09: 890,090

That's almost 380,000 posts in the same time.

Active Members
November 07: 653
February 09: 887

And that's an additional 234 active members in just 15 months (with a similar number of extra regular "guests") in the same period - even despite the 'thousands' we've banned lately.

Who do you mean OBL? Glasgow? Anyone else?

Glasgow in particular, there are others who have noticeably cut back - I can't be the only one to notice it surely? I accept that some people's circumstances do change but I don't think that's the case in point for the people I'm talking about.

ToEllandback, for instance, ok, I know the sponsorship thing is over and done with, but he used to be on the boards often, then got a bit of unfair criticism (imo) and now rarely visits. MK, Paul's not as frequent a poster, nor is Ant in Ireland - ok, I know he's busy but there was quite a few weeks when he wasn't on here at all, again, not typical.

Glasgow in particular, there are others who have noticeably cut back - I can't be the only one to notice it surely? I accept that some people's circumstances do change but I don't think that's the case in point for the people I'm talking about.

ToEllandback, for instance, ok, I know the sponsorship thing is over and done with, but he used to be on the boards often, then got a bit of unfair criticism (imo) and now rarely visits. MK, Paul's not as frequent a poster, nor is Ant in Ireland - ok, I know he's busy but there was quite a few weeks when he wasn't on here at all, again, not typical.

Sorry OBL, but that's pure speculation, and only shows that maybe three or four posters aren't quite so happy with the Zone as they were. SBH's statistics are rather more telling I feel. The Leeds boy always took plenty of stick and I think his absence is entirely related to the Sponsorship being finished and also a certain young lady.

It's sad that GlasgowSUFC doesn't post on here any more, he's a top bloke. However Toellandback, MK and IrishShrimper all still post from time to time (MK still more than most!), as you say, circumstances change and I don't think we are losing the more 'regular' posters. The stats show that SZ is bigger than ever, and perhaps with that it's lost it's more intimate feel and now groups of mates come across as 'cliques' and the Owners have had to work harder to make SZ more family-friendly, accessible etc etc. It isn't what it used to be a few years ago, but then forums change, posters leave, and people get lives!

There are a couple of posters from 'back in the day' that I would love to know what they are up to... GrimmRobes, Hexagon Sun... just because they didn't post much doesn't mean they are any less missed (by me!)

TBH there have been alot of posters have come and gone and that will always be the way. 4 of the Zone's biggest contributors (Mike, Dave. steveh & Leeboy!) can hardly ever be found posting on here much anymore, although im sure they are all lurking from time-to-time! Just because a couple of your "favourite" posters no longer do so as much, doesn't mean that "traffic" is dropping off!

Kev

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back