• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BedfordShrimper

Memorabilia Geek⭐
Hi All
Hope you dont mind me starting a new topic as im a newbie !!

Just wondering what the best performance people have ever seen Southend produce ?

I was thinking more in the sense of actually being at the game so for me personally i was at the Home Game against Brentford back in 05/06 season. We won 4-1 and i thought we were awesome that day. Brentford were also flying high from waht i remember and we swept them aside. I remember Sodje and Barrett getting headed goals and as a side note, this was the game where i saw the best live goal scored against Southend. DJ Campbell got a consolation for Brentford with a dipping volley. Was a brilliant game !

All the best.

Wow - I've seen so many - Newcastle and Blackburn games under Webby, most games under Fry , plus games such as the Norwich draw at Roots Hall is also up there .

Nice to have a positive thread. I'll have more of a think and come back later with my personal top 5 games/performances !!

This has been done to death.But for me the 6-1 away victory at Bournemouth in the old league cup back in 68/9.We were wearing Scotland shirts that night and played like it too.Chisnall et al were superb.

Wow - I've seen so many - Newcastle and Blackburn games under Webby, most games under Fry , plus games such as the Norwich draw at Roots Hall is also up there .

Nice to have a positive thread. I'll have more of a think and come back later with my personal top 5 games/performances !!

The Norwich game was a belter, 3-3 draw but what a cracking performance. That was, aside from the Man U game, the best game a Roots Hall in my opinion.

Derby away in November 1993 at the old Baseball ground would be a contender for me especially after suffering the two FA cup defeats there in 70's.
As I recall we went 1-0 early in the game but came storming back and bossed a strong Derby side with our attacking football and ran out 1-3 winners with goals from Hunt,Jones and Otto.

The Brentford game was definitely up there.

Aldershot 10-1 obviously has to feature too.

I agree about the Brentford game. That, to me, was the best performance I can remember from a Southend team, although I know quite a few people think the Yeovil game earlier in the same season was better.

One of the best performances I can remember was two seasons after that. A home game against Carlisle in which we played some breath-taking football. One touch passes, little triangles, it was great stuff. I think we lost 1-0 though.

Last edited:
Best team performance?

Sat 16-Oct Oxford Utd H D1 7th 6 1 Mooney(3) Otto(2) Edwards 4,433 attendance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_03IWGR5E

I remember fearing for my life that game. Used to stand at the front of the North Bank and Tommy Mooney celebrated his hat-trick right in front of me leading to about 600 fans rushing forward and sandwiching me against the fence!

1-0 defeat at Everton in the cup under Webb. Played them off the pitch in all departments, how we lost I'll never know.

I agree about the Brentford game. That, to me, was the best performance I can remember from a Southend game, although I know quite a few people think the Yeovil game earlier in the same season was better.
Before I opened the topic those were the two games that immediately sprang to mind. Our second half performance against Yeovil was absolutely breathtaking and we had the luxury of bringing on Freddy, who then took the p1ss with two fantastic goals. However, I don't remember us playing that well in the first half so Brentford gets my vote. Their fans were some of the loudest I've heard before the game, but they look completely dumbfounded when we hit them with two early goals. And of course, Che scored that day after a flowing move with a finish that any forward would have been proud of. Even Martin Allen raved about our performance that day.

This has been done to death.But for me the 6-1 away victory at Bournemouth in the old league cup back in 68/9.We were wearing Scotland shirts that night and played like it too.Chisnall et al were superb.

No wonder you're such a miserable git if playing like Scotland is the height of your watching Southend.

Bit harsh on a newbie who may not have scoured the SZ archives.

FWIW I agree about that Bournemout match, Southend were transposed into Brazil that night. It was the first away game we attended as a group without have the "pleasure" of an appropriate adult in tow.

Another from the same saeson Swindon away in the Cup we won 2-0, Swindon won the League Cup that season beating Arsenal in the final, but so many others.

Derby away in November 1993 at the old Baseball ground would be a contender for me especially after suffering the two FA cup defeats there in 70's.
As I recall we went 1-0 early in the game but came storming back and bossed a strong Derby side with our attacking football and ran out 1-3 winners with goals from Hunt,Jones and Otto.

Yep agree with this one, we were superb that day, Derby did not know what hit them and as you say they were a good team. This win was even more amazing as we lost 7 (seven) 0 (nil) at Derby in the League cup and 2 nil in the League match just the season before.

So to turn a heavy defeat into a comfortable away win in front of a big crowd was outstanding. I'm sure the goals from this match were on YouTube not sure if they still are?

1-0 defeat at Everton in the cup under Webb. Played them off the pitch in all departments, how we lost I'll never know.

This for me. I was behind the goal with all the other Southend fans and my dad (now deceased). Still cant believe the diving save that Neville Southal made to stop Benjy scoring!

As already said we played them off the park, but Peter Beardsley did the damage to us!

Back