• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question When and what made you sign up to ShrimperZone?

so what year did you join ShrimperZone?

• Total voters

Bob Cratchitt

Devil's Advocate
After digging out some old posts from yesteryear, got me thinking about the all these posters who seem to be part of the furniture now but were no where to be seen back then.

I think it would be good to see what drove us to join and when.

My own story is that I used to frequent Shrimpers.Net, as it was the only Southend site that had a forum, and at the time I only went to matches with my old man so it was good to chat to other like minded people. There were many posters I enjoyed reading but on the flipside there were a lot of idiots, mainly from other teams who would just post utter crap.

Then one day in 2001 a group of posters decided to meet up in the Spread and discuss the way forward, from this ShrimperZone was born. Like many others at the time I defected from Shrimpers.net to SZ. Here I found all the posters that I had enjoyed reading on the old forum and also others who had not taken the courage to post on Shrimpers.net.

After a while I took the step to contact Westcliff Shrimper about getting to meetup with the core posters as I knew they were always in the Spread Pre & Post match. This one step really did change my life, suddenly I got introduced to a new social circle, which also lead to the creation of SZFC, which allowed me to get back involved in Sunday league footie.

So what is your story?

I was on shrimpers.net as well, about 2001, and started getting on SZ same time

I had a video of Southend v Spurs, which Leeboy wanted, so arranged to meet in the Spread. Mike said come down at 11am, meet everyone. That was it.

I used to be on the Yahoo Groups e-mail list and ShrimperZone was often mentioned on there. I decided to take the plunge in late 2003 and, like Naps and BC, soon found myself in a new social circle for Southend games. Great stuff.

Long time lurker as an exile, then took the plunge of joining not long after I got PC & internet access at home, the night of the LDV semi final 2nd leg with Col Ewe. The sheer excitement of our victory & subsequent final appearance at Cardiff was enough to make me sign up.

can't really remember but I lurked on here for quite a while and I'm sure I had another username before joining up in 2005. I think I lost my password as I didn't post at all and then got my jontosh2001 one. I posted a bit on the OS forum before this. However I only really got serious once I went to uni and discovered free time and the internet.

Had a couple of mates that said they posted on a Southend forum, and each time I looked up the Southend website I noticed shrimperzone just below in the google search results and wondered if that was it. Lurked near the end of 200, took the plunge in jan 08.

I first became aware of SZ after the infamous Boston match that led to Wignal getting the sack, apparently there was a thread with lots of references to me and how i'd spent the entire 90 minutes calling for his head (its true i did, Wignall had Col Ewe scum ensconsed in him and he should never EVER have been appointed in the first place)

SUFCEssex told me about the thread and IIRC printed it off for me as i didn't have access to a PC back then ... i've searched for it recently but just can't track it down

I got my home pc in 2005 (finally emerging into the outside world) this co-incided with the club advertising the fact Under 7s could get a free season ticket ... here it is
Mornin' all, i received an e-mail from the club yesterday telling me Under 7s can go free at Roots Hall. I read something about this in the Rotherham prog on Saturday but didn't know Blues were involved in it. I sent a rather terse reply asking about a refund for my sons season ticket and asking why this scheme wasn't advertised in the summer. Later in the day i actually received a reply (equally terse) telling me the scheme HAD been running since the summer and had been in the programme and in the media.. i dont generally buy a prog but normally grab a quick read from a mate before or after a match and i cannot recall ever seeing it mentioned before. Anyone got any thoughts / ideas on this ??
Bottom line is i can get a refund..i think i'll spend that in the new shop which is very impressive IMO

So my very first post was a thread starter which received 2 replies and a further comment from me WOW !!

Used to go on rivals.net (shrimpers.net) and heard about shrimperzone on there. Looked it up in Aug 2005 and have had a great time since, meeting new Southend fans, and what a jolly nice bunch most of you are. Playing for SZ was also a good experience.

I was a mod on Shrimpers.net! But like everyone said it was full of idiots and the more people I blocked they just came back with a different name so I got fed up with it.

THINK I joined in 04 under a different name.....then dumped that one after the 2nd LDV loss and became the butterfly I am today :)

Uxbridge Shrimper said:
I used to be on the Yahoo Groups e-mail list and ShrimperZone was often mentioned on there. I decided to take the plunge in late 2003 and, like Naps and BC, soon found myself in a new social circle for Southend games. Great stuff.
What he said. Met some great people via SZ, long may it continue.

Lurked on here for a while, then signed up, saw the "Spotted on Shrimperzone's" on Yahoo list ages ago, mainly ignored it, don't like cliquey things, this is cliquey to an extent, but with different cliques so quite easy to get into debate/arguements with idiots, sometimes is good for the soul to vent off at an idiot.

I had a bad break up in a long term relationship and was lost as what to do with some of my spare time so watched for awhile then took the plunge about 3 years ago.

Lucky for you lot eh!..:cricko:

You have all kept me single ever since, good or bad I don't know, what I will say is the Zone kept me relatively sane in those early days and since then I have made some great friends and feel privileged to not only be an Owner of the Zone these days but to be part of SZFC both of which I am extremely proud of.:)

I first registered in 2005, but probably started to post more avidly in '06 when I was at University and had hours of time to waste away doing mundane things like post nonsense on a messageboard. It also gave me a pretty good connection with the Football Club while I was away, as I got supporter opinion from matches instead of the usual match report.

I first registered in 2005, but probably started to post more avidly in '06 when I was at University and had hours of time to waste away doing mundane things like post nonsense on a messageboard. It also gave me a pretty good connection with the Football Club while I was away, as I got supporter opinion from matches instead of the usual match report.

yeah, this is a really valid point. cos i couldn't go to games I became addicted to the match reports and for a while the chatroom was great for match days. I even went into the library on saturday afternoons to listen to the online stream!

Like a couple of posters above, I came via the yahoo email group. Think it was one of the only things I could find on the internet about Southend when I first went to uni and it served me well in keeping up to date from afar (well Brighton). When SZ was launched it was advertised on the yahoo group and so Ive lurked since day one.

Took ages to post on here, but that started through a combination of getting a desk job with internet access and setting up a team that was in the same league as SZFC.

Having got to know people from this board I recognise quite a few names from the old yahoo email group. Was quite good back in the day before this site took off, but most seemed to have migrated to here now. I'm still subscribed but they dont really have any news that you can't find on here.

Oh yeah, yahoo mail group as well, I was on there a lot before SZ.

I still remember when Stan posted on here, and Scriven getting a call from him to say it was him!

Back